eBay prices on the rise, good time to sell old junk?

yugyug

Re: eBay prices on the rise, good time to sell old junk?

Postby yugyug » Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:33 pm

"LIGH" - Freudian typo?

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:12 pm

WHAT? I CAN'T HEAR YOU OVER THE GUY SELLING THE OLD PILE OF DUNG!
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

Rob74

Postby Rob74 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:43 am

Sunday Morning Clangers for your consideration

apparently its……semi restored!
"I'm getting rid of it because"….its Gas Pipe… Bottom End junk that I recently hosed off, never been serviced…get yourself a bargain…
bought one Chinese Vintage-style knockoff copy of a dutch bike…. its heavy as …….so we left it outside near the beach for a while…now its not so shiny anymore or pretty so
Too fancy for a pub bike
Continuing the theme its a LIMITED EDITION Alcohol sponsorship
Its another version of the REPCO Torrent MTB........ how bad could it be.
Everyone wants a shiny Huffy…..the epitome of modern day quality it comes from the same place that sold Cyclops.
"barely riden brought for my son"…….who hardly surprisingly "lost interest very quickly"
They will be lining up for "PICK UP ONLY."
Quality always sells for atleast 20% more that you paid for it.

HARO used to make reasonable BMX's in the 1980's but not this MTB maybe its the RD & plastic coated brake arms that give it away along with the Made in China Sticker

Its got ahh.....ssssss "Snake Stays"

Rob

utedeej

Postby utedeej » Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:54 pm

Rob74 wrote:Sunday Morning Clangers for your consideration

Its got ahh.....ssssss "Snake Stays"

Rob
Actually, when the Diamond Back Axis/Apex mountain bikes came out in the mid 90s, the Titanium and Chromoly versions had snake stays. These were really good bikes. I wanted one when the came out but alas had no $, but have got one in the roof of the shed now, waiting to be put back together.
This is the same as mine

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:36 pm

Rob74 wrote: Everyone wants a shiny Huffy…..the epitome of modern day quality it comes from the same place that sold Cyclops.
I've had probably half a dozen of that model through my hands, as they're a good source of generic bits and pieces (seatpost bolts etc) but while some of the parts are usable, the bike as a whole is one of the very worst i've ever seen. And that's saying a lot coming from me! :)

landyacht

Postby landyacht » Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:53 pm

those old mtb with no suspension fork are great to save for cutting up as speedwaybikes. they take about 1hr to strip everything but the handlebars .. the fork angle is just right. no brakes, we just set the shortened chain on the middle chainring and the 18th on the back. then ride em till they break :)

yugyug

Postby yugyug » Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:44 am

a whole bunch of nifty old track bikes in SA.... $$$
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Vintage-Bicy ... 985&_uhb=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Fixer

Postby The Fixer » Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:20 am

ldrcycles wrote:
Rob74 wrote: Everyone wants a shiny Huffy…..the epitome of modern day quality it comes from the same place that sold Cyclops.
I've had probably half a dozen of that model through my hands, as they're a good source of generic bits and pieces (seatpost bolts etc) but while some of the parts are usable, the bike as a whole is one of the very worst i've ever seen. And that's saying a lot coming from me! :)
I get quite a few similar models through mine as well, and some are utter junk, while others seem to be fine. The quality of the welding on the frames, especially, is very variable. And some of them actually rust before your very eyes!!!

Basically, their QC is lousy, there's no consistency and standards appear to be quite low. IMO this is where their major problem lies.

When I got back into riding about 10 years ago after a prolonged lay-off, I bought a cheap second-hand Huffy dual-shock simply because it was there and cheap. I took it home and gave it a full service and check-over, and it served me well for around a year, then as a 'backup bike' for several more. I still see it around town occasionally, and it still appears to be holding-up well. It certainly was better than most Huffies I see, maybe I was just lucky, or maybe it was the servicing.

We shift a fair few refurbed ones through the local Men's Shed, and they sell well enough to the 'battlers' if the price isn't stupid. And if it's a lemon, it doesn't get sold, but wrecked for its parts or scrapped.

Most stuff from the 80s and 90s, even the unfairly (imo) maligned 'gas pipe' bikes, are far better quality, and are consequently a better buy. But they lack the 'bling factor' to the younger ones.
I don't care if it's a $20 Huffy or a $20k Colnago, as long as you're riding, and you're happy.

rangersac

Postby rangersac » Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:07 pm

An honest looking Europa
Bar tape is overrated.
Nice looking something
De Rosa Macro | Intense Primer | Wayward Cape York | Cotic Rocket

AnnaLB

Postby AnnaLB » Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:41 pm

Just went on eBay.com and searched 'vintage bikes' and there are so many awesome ones. Like this...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Schwinn ... RTM1562572" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And check out this folding bike...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-White-G ... 3ce5efda59" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:33 pm

Heeheehee :)

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Specialized- ... 050&_uhb=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:46 pm

bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

LugNut

Postby LugNut » Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:34 pm

ldrcycles wrote:Heeheehee :)

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Specialized- ... 050&_uhb=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Well, it would get pretty lonely stuck out in the woods with no wheels...

mark field

Postby mark field » Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:30 pm

i like the fact that this is held together with circlips- makes for easy restoration. Nothing worse than not being able to get right into something because it cant be re-assembled after.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Vintage-Mavi ... m2c87fe0cb" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Theres something wonderfull about seeing something so old with its original box
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Vintage-Spec ... 1c3cc9f84f" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Nos-Campagno ... 4865848ef9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NOS-rare-194 ... 417fea9c99" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
steel is the real deal.

feelthewheel

Postby feelthewheel » Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:59 pm

Very old Malvern Star for not much coin (at the moment) ... but wouldn't being 66167 put this in the mid-1930's? Warren, (as MS guru) do you have a view on this one?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Malvern-Star ... 1c44687aed" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mark field

Postby mark field » Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:28 am

feelthewheel wrote:Very old Malvern Star for not much coin (at the moment) ... but wouldn't being 66167 put this in the mid-1930's? Warren, (as MS guru) do you have a view on this one?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Malvern-Star ... 1c44687aed" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

i looked this up and was curious about the "gas mask grips" so when i googled that i came across this- http://www.powerhousemuseum.com/mob/col ... 6&img=6529" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
steel is the real deal.

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:47 pm

mark field wrote:i looked this up and was curious about the "gas mask grips" so when i googled that i came across this- http://www.powerhousemuseum.com/mob/col ... 6&img=6529" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
OK, I can answer this from the UK point of view. After WWII everything was in short supply..except army surplus stuff... There was no bar tape or covering easily available but you could get the corrugated connector tubes from war surplus gas masks (Hundreds of thousands made but fortunately none used.. plus spares) which did good service as handler bar covering apparently. From what I gather talking to old blokes in Oz the situation was similar over here.

Richard

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:49 am

A friend just sent me a link to a post on a buy/swap/sell page on facebook.

"Lotsa Push bikes for sale ...all kinds....... old ones, new ones, classics and collectables...buy the lot or just one or two.......located Noosa North shore"

The attached picture showed a pile of about 30 bikes, IN A JUNGLE. Maybe 3 or 4 of them had drop bars and the only way to North Shore is a $16 return ferry.

yugyug

Postby yugyug » Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:02 pm

WyvernRH wrote:
mark field wrote:i looked this up and was curious about the "gas mask grips" so when i googled that i came across this- http://www.powerhousemuseum.com/mob/col ... 6&img=6529" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
OK, I can answer this from the UK point of view. After WWII everything was in short supply..except army surplus stuff... There was no bar tape or covering easily available but you could get the corrugated connector tubes from war surplus gas masks (Hundreds of thousands made but fortunately none used.. plus spares) which did good service as handler bar covering apparently. From what I gather talking to old blokes in Oz the situation was similar over here.

Richard
I think I smell the next hipster trend a-coming. There's only so much twine and cotton bar wrap Surry Hills can handle.

LugNut

Postby LugNut » Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:58 pm

Diane, I must have laid eyes on every damn bicycle listed on Gumtree and eBay today. There is absolutely nothing to report.

Typhoon Ken

Postby Typhoon Ken » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:05 pm

Thanks Special Agent Cooper it saves us doing it.

Rob74

Postby Rob74 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:07 pm

Typhoon Ken wrote:Thanks Special Agent Cooper it saves us doing it.
Meh....Ignore that...gather your own info...always plenty to be had...location and hence shipping/freight is oft the challenge

Shogun MTB
Spec Hardrock
Fisher
Centurion
Peugeot in 531
Scott with Deore Lx
Clamont Professional
Carlton in 531
Abeni 1
Abeni 2
Alan
Larger Countryman

Rob
Last edited by Rob74 on Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Typhoon Ken

Postby Typhoon Ken » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:16 pm

Laid down a bit of coin for the Chesini Frame so anything in this thread is only window shopping for me for a little while anyway

Rob74

Postby Rob74 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:38 pm

rangersac

Postby rangersac » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:50 pm

Tange Prestige MTB
Ken in need of some lovin'
Falcon with cool seat stays and Shimano history
Extra points for riding this if your hairstyle matches the branding
De Rosa Macro | Intense Primer | Wayward Cape York | Cotic Rocket