Diamondback Interval TG

8Track

Diamondback Interval TG

Postby 8Track » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:38 pm

Hi Guys & Gals,

I am a new member here and totally stoked that I have found this great Aussie bike resource. I used to be an avid road rider back in the '80s, however (aside from a couple of brief periods in the late '90s and early 2000s) I haven't been on my bike at all. I still have my '80s road bike in extremely good nick. Its an Elan, made by Pulteney Street Cycles. It was put together by them to fit my requirements using Suntour Blaze components and Diacompe brakes. The frame is a Tange 5. But I digress.......

The purpose of this post relates to a Diamondback Interval TG roadbike I just scored at a garage sale. My wife has been making noises about wanting to ride my old bike but it is too big for her. Hence this impulse purchase which cost the princely sum of $40.

Just wondering if anyone is familiar with these bikes and can tell me if they were good in their day (whenever that was). It has Shimano Exage 500 components on it and the frame and forks are made from "Tange 100% OS CRMO" It carries a label that says "Avenir equipped" which refers to the totally stuffed seat on it. The wheels are Araya.

The paintjob is a pinkish red with black raised strokes around the tubes in a random pattern.

Thanks for any insight you may have.

Cheers,

Mark

8Track

Re: Diamondback Interval TG

Postby 8Track » Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:56 pm

I took the bike into Super Elliotts to get some parts I needed. I got new brake and gear cables inc white Shimano cable sheath. Also got Shimano brake pads, Michelin tyres with red stripes and Tioga tubes That set me back $133.

I am getting together with my cycle crazy mate next weekend to put all this stuff on and service everything that can be serviced. Hopefully I won't find the hubs and crank bearings need replacing, but if so, I will do so.

I reckon this is a fun project and the enjoyment I will get from bringing this bike back to life, spending a solid afternoon with my mate, and seeing my wife ride it will far outweigh the buzz you get from buying something new.

Having said that, I did see some interesting bikes whilst i was in the shop. Note to self......don't go into bike shops unecessarily!

Cheers,

Mark

koen

Postby koen » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:59 pm

Yeah...don't go into bikeshops:) I'll have to remember that!

Well done on your efforts. Point of wisdom tho..quit now lest you end up like other members of this forum addicted to redemption of unloved bicycles!
Diamondback was a change of name from Centurion bikes I believe and were pretty good for their price range. It sounds like a late eighties to early nineties road bike but look for the a date stamp on the exage bits.
Cheers,

8Track

Postby 8Track » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:07 am

Thanks for the information Koen. I have done some research and you are correct. The bike appears to be a 91 model. The handlebars carry the Centurion name on them.

Cheers,

Mark

8Track

Postby 8Track » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:39 am

Update time:

The bike is coming along nicely:

Wheels have been cleaned, hubs serviced and new tubes/tyres fitted.
The derailleurs, chain, cassette and brakes have all been removed and cleaned. They were incredibly dirty, but not showing much wear at all!

Next weekend we plan to finish things up with servicing the bottom bracket and headstem, fitting new cables, and final reassembly. Then fit the bike to my wife and she'll be ready to ride!

The time spent with my mate was fantastic. While doing the work the wives got to know each other better and my mate and I had a ball reminiscing about the old days. After we downed tools, it was BBQ time.

Such a great way to spend a Sunday arvo, and as predicted, much more fun than simply buying a new bike!

Cheers,

Mark

8Track

Postby 8Track » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:20 pm

Well the bike is almost finished.

We hit a stumbling block - the brake cable was too short to reach the rear caliper and the rear brake pre-tension adjuster was rusted solid. Luckily there was a clean set of Shimano Exage 500 brake calipers on ebay. They will be here in time for the weekend, by which time I will have been able to swap the cable for a longer one.

Sorting those out and fitting new handlebar tape will see the bike finished!

lunar_c

Postby lunar_c » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:23 pm

Exage 500 was a recreational road group sort of just below 105 in the late 80's? I've found it to be very solid gear that works well, and I've used it on my fiance's bike with great success. Welcome to the forum!

8Track

Postby 8Track » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:10 pm

Thanks for the welcome Lunar_c! I was beginning to think I had my thread all to myself!

I took the brake cable back to Super Elliotts and explained it was too short. The guy looked at me funny and inspected the cable. He said it had been cut, implying I had cut it, and that I would need to buy another. Like as if I would lie about a $4 cable!

I explained that it was exactly as it had been provided to me by the shop and I had not cut it. He went over to the cable box and drew out a new cable, saying they were all supplied in nice long 6 foot lengths. This was when I said, "hang on, the guy I bought it from didn't draw one out of a box, he took it off a hook already coiled up! The penny then dropped for the guy. It seems they have leftover used cables from the service dept that they hang onto for a rainy day. Seems the dude sold me two of those, rather than a couple of brand spankers.

He naturally provided me with a new one, no questions asked! I won't be dealing with the first guy anymore that's for sure!

8Track

Postby 8Track » Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:17 pm

The bike is now finished - and a sweet ride it has turned out to be.

Much satisfaction has been derived from this project and my wife loves it!

drubie

Postby drubie » Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:36 pm

Maybe post a picture in the Centurion Appreciation Society thread? I should maybe the the name of it.
So we get the leaders we deserve and we elect, we get the companies and the products that we ask for, right? And we have to ask for different things. – Paul Gilding
but really, that's rubbish. We get none of it because the choices are illusory.

RichoVonBlack77

Postby RichoVonBlack77 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:53 pm

koen wrote:Yeah...don't go into bikeshops:) I'll have to remember that!

Well done on your efforts. Point of wisdom tho..quit now lest you end up like other members of this forum addicted to redemption of unloved bicycles!
Diamondback was a change of name from Centurion bikes I believe and were pretty good for their price range. It sounds like a late eighties to early nineties road bike but look for the a date stamp on the exage bits.
Cheers,
(Sigh) Wise advise, wish I'd considered it BEFORE I started on the Skidstar,,,, but it's to late for me,,, :D

8Track

Postby 8Track » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:17 am

Hi all,

Just thought you would like to see photos of the finished bike. Sorry its taken me 2 years to get around to posting them. But given this is a rare bike, probably worth putting them up for other people's reference.

Cheers,

Mark

8Track

Postby 8Track » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:19 am

By the way, since taking these photos I have worked out how to restore the brake hoods to a perfect bright shade of white. Simply clean them with white spirits (dry cleaning fluid) and all the ground in dirt and discolouration comes right out.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:40 am

Nice. Good reminder that diamondback used to make good bikes before they went downmarket
Anything you can do, I can do slower

alials

Postby alials » Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:10 am

8Track wrote:
Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:17 am
Hi all,

Just thought you would like to see photos of the finished bike. Sorry its taken me 2 years to get around to posting them. But given this is a rare bike, probably worth putting them up for other people's reference.

Cheers,

Mark
Hi Mark,

I know this is an old post but I'm hoping to find some answers to my questions! Basically, I've the exact same bike frame (Diamondback Interval TG) and I'm looking to buy and install some components by myself (e.g, wheels, seatpost).

Do you know by any chance the seat post size?
Wheel size? (700c?)