Coolangatta Return 13/09/08

MountGower

Coolangatta Return 13/09/08

Postby MountGower » Sun Sep 14, 2008 12:18 pm

Myself and another bloke rode to Coolangatta yesterday. 226km return to Coorparoo. A small amount of assistance going down, but while we were enjoying a pie at Coolangatta, the slight breeze decided to become rather nasty. The ride home was very difficult. 113km in to a big head wind. There were many times when my elbows hurt, arse hurt, hands hurt and feet hurt, all at once. I had nowhere to go. The last 60km were extremely hard to keep going and by the end I was really starting to bonk out. I'd start out up the hills getting out of the saddl, but by the top I was on my arse and really hurting. Three weeks ago I rode 200km to Bromelton, Coulson, Ipswich and home and did it comfortably.

At one stage I appologised to Stuart becuase I thought I was drafting too much and asked if I was slowing him down. He just turned around and said "So what if you are, this has been no game of tiddly winks."

At one stage we had to ride right past where my daugher was having a horse riding lesson that was just about to finish. I said to myself "If I've got 200 up I'm stopping." 198.89 as I rode past. Bloody hell. Here are some pics. The calm water is at Southport. The open ocean is from Coolangatta.

MountGower

Postby MountGower » Sun Sep 14, 2008 12:23 pm

Sorry about the size of the last few pics. Supaslowbucket says they've been resized, so were all obviously having some sort of bazaar simultaneous halucination. Wish I had all day to sort it out.

tatt2

Postby tatt2 » Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:15 pm

Excellent :D , what route did you take?....
GIANT 2011 Talon MTB

I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.

MountGower

Postby MountGower » Sun Sep 14, 2008 2:49 pm

G'day Tatt2

The route was Logan Rd, Service Roads, Brisbane Rd and seaside from Labrador to Coolangatta. Not a good day for it, but given the pain and discomfort I put up with and the distance I put up with it for, it's a good milestone ride. I won't be in any hurry to take on a wind like that for such a long way again any time soon. I guess the best way to make yourself do it is to ride with it for 113km. Then you've pretty much just got to turn around and push it.

I see slowbucket has caught up and the pics are now resized. If a mod did it, then thanks for that.

winona_rider

Postby winona_rider » Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:22 pm

wow! that is full on.
i rode 30 ks today and started seeing stars when i got home.
LOL

MountGower

Postby MountGower » Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:33 pm

For the benefit of all readers. I recently rode a 70km up and back to Mt Nebo with the above star seer and he burnt me to a cinder.

30km.....stars......you.

Naaaaaa. Nice try but, 'ey.

winona_rider

Postby winona_rider » Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:47 pm

stop it! that ride was hardcore.
werd