"replica " of a 1914 replica turner special

landyacht

Re: "replica " of a 1914 replica turner special

Postby landyacht » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:02 pm

mark field wrote:so much work has gone into your replica- its very enjoyable to watch and must be quite rewarding for you when you see it come together. are you going to take a picture of the finished bike just like in your reference pics?
if your well behaved :D
Im hoping to have it rolling before the Beverly heroic so i can slip it up next to some proper old bikes and take a sneaky pic to make it look proper old :P :D . i should be able to start assembling this weekend or maybe a bit before . just a case of bunking off early on the lawnmowing round :D

landyacht

Postby landyacht » Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:36 pm

here's a taste :D
if your looking for a bargain theres a sale on in perth, all the dream bikes almost 50% off,
sale ends 1907 :D

landyacht

Postby landyacht » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:16 pm

First lap of Hannan st tonight :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
In a bizzare twist of wardrobe i felt the need to don a waistcoat ad collared shirt whilst scorching with this fine machine
just remember, this isnt a true replica , just my tribute to it :D
all 3 gears working sweet as bru. I dropped a bucket of oil into the oil port of the Sturmey last night, and its running sweet. 40 years old and back on the road :)
I was suprised by the reid"dutch " saddle . in the old pics they have the saddle tilted back and that is exactly how you need it . your body wants to ride forward off the seat , and by raking back you slide back on and all the springs start working. the seat rocks side to side just nicely.Bit suprised actually. thank you reid cycles for having them in the shops :D
cream 400x40's mailed from germany yesterday :D
gear shifter simply works. you have to stop pedalling for each change , then simply start pedalling again.
. Brake lever.for the time being i have a aluminium Lee Chin. Im sure in 1914 there must have been somebody called lee chin working in a cycle factory somewhere in the world :)
when i have time i will build a great big lever job from scratch. the rear brake is a double pivot Mafac racer. the oldest brake i could scrounge. works really well too!
I plan to leave it on as it feels right for the bike . yes there is electrical tape holding the cabling, but i have a 30 m roll of red 1" bias binding coming that will be used as bar tape and a tape to hold the cabling onto the frame.
The BSA crank is simply sweet considering I picked it up in the bush 10 years ago , now its back hauling arse down hannan st again.
.Image
Handle bars and grips are inverted lady bars for now. on the old catelogues it says invertable , so thats just fine by me. the grips came with the dutch saddle and have little grubs screws on each end to hold them on. that will be great for pulling them on and off when im making the brake set up. I'll leave them on until the bar tape is ready.
shed feels odd now kind of empty. probably time to repair the recumbent :oops:
cream tyres posted from germany yesterday.
should get the frame stickers on monday.
I decided on the name "Davyhurst Special " after the lovely old frame i picked up in Davehurst

landyacht

Postby landyacht » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:33 pm

just remembered, it weighed in at 14.0 on the nose with the toolbag empty. when the cream shwables arrive i reckon I might drop another 1kg.
for the GPS nuts i cracked 39kph in high gear, down hill, down wind on hannan st . in light traffic. ( with a helmet), and traffic lights in my favour

hiflange

Postby hiflange » Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:52 pm

I can't believe how quickly you've done this. Knowing Kal well I can imagine the fun yoyu're having rolling around Hannan St. Can't wait to see this machine in the flesh/metal.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:45 am

Woohhoo 8)

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

Typhoon Ken

Postby Typhoon Ken » Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:52 am

Great job

mark field

Postby mark field » Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:08 am

very impressive, its one thing to restore a bike- but to make one from scratch (and from a small photograph no less) takes guts, know-how, an eye for detail and patience.
steel is the real deal.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:23 am

A Martini for only 2 pound?! Bestill my beating heart!

Oh and the bike looks marvellous too, spectacular job :D .
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

landyacht

Postby landyacht » Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:45 pm

a fellow bike rebirther came around this afternoon to to match up a spring for his fork suspension . i was riding around the street when around the corner comes a stretched out set of 26" whitewalls with the widest handle bars and the biggest100year old bike seat Ive ever seen. the early stages of his tribute to an early Indian bike. we must have looked like a couple of 50 yr old toolies riding around with our stupid grins.
I rode over 20 kms on the davyhurst today , 10km uphill upwind in 1st gear. the reward was and absolute scorcher of a ride home through light traffic lots of roundabouts where i would drop down to second , and swing the bike though the turns, left,right ,left. all just with body roll.
absolute hoot. cracked 44kph , but it was a cracker of a tail wind. cadence would have been around 50 downwind and less upwind :D . bring on the lightweight cream tyres :)
a fantastic reward for a month of evenings in the shed.
Ive got an inkling the pennyfarthing is gonna be a double hoot :D :P

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:35 pm

nice one!
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

mark field

Postby mark field » Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:49 pm

HappyHumber wrote:nice one!
+1 to that.
steel is the real deal.

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:39 pm

Whoa! What a great job....
While to some extent i feel you have gone the 'hard way around' to get this build as a fellow mech eng I can appreciate the satisfaction you must feel to have built this magnificent repro yourself almost from scratch.
Many Kudos!

Cheers
Richard

landyacht

Postby landyacht » Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:08 pm

WyvernRH wrote:Whoa! What a great job....
While to some extent i feel you have gone the 'hard way around' to get this build as a fellow mech eng I can appreciate the satisfaction you must feel to have built this magnificent repro yourself almost from scratch.
Many Kudos!

Cheers
Richard
please enlighten me as to how it could have been easier :)
Ive just scored another 3 speed hub and am thinking of a riding partner bike and any easier way of doing this again would be great

landyacht

Postby landyacht » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:19 pm

finally found a major design fault in the bike!!!!!
Ive been doing a daily ride uphill/upwind to the top of town just so i can ride back in top gear in the traffic and roundavbouts.
today , in second gear i saw a modrn roadbike with lycra rider ahead and the bike and my legs/lungs decided they had to chase. you just cant not chase. its the only bike ive ridden in years that has the same effect :)
when we caught up on the crest of the railway overpass the other rider must have near s**t his pants :D
As we crested the hill the legs told the hand to pop into 3rd gear and we all smoked off down into the CBD. when we scored the green light at Hannan st I realized the carbon lad was still on my tail .
we must have looked crazy having our little race , but i finally gave up after 3km when the carbon lad turned off .
I got home absolutely shattered. it will be interesting to see how my legs handle a 35km handicap on a ally 9speed on sunday. :shock:

5 star freak

Postby 5 star freak » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:49 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: can't say anything . I'm too busy laughing!!!

landyacht

Postby landyacht » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:18 pm

after another week on the road the old 3 speed is getting smoother , it has a lovely squeek in first, growls in second when you get ttooooooo fast,
3rd is a whopping high gear, downwind/ downhill only :D it seems to be collecting a few scratches in the right places that should age it all nicely.
it certainly fools people as to its age :D
i have tried to be honest and tell them eventually that it is a 2014 machine not 1914.
bizzarely not many takers to ride it , yet people will jump on my pennyfakething without even the slightest instruction :?
only 3 weeks to beverly :D :D :D :D :D

tandem got a new wheelset this week, so were looking goood

mark field

Postby mark field » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:15 am

can we see some more pics?????? :)
steel is the real deal.

twowheels

Postby twowheels » Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:31 pm

landyacht wrote:as i cut and grind i realized i really needed 1"x1" rather than the 1x3/4 bar for my stock , but ive persisted with the 3/4 . It doesnt look quite the same but does feel in the spirit. I roughed out each side for the tube mounts and it came up like this
another 15mins grindinding and 20 mins filing gave me a satisfactory effort
not quite the stylish original, but there is some filing still to do after its brazed.
looks like this after the first round of brazing
with luck and weather I'll get onto the rest of the chainstays tommorrow. after a few hrs lining up , grinding and brazing I just had to stop and go have a little destressing ride :)
You need to get friendly with someone with access to a milling machine!

Great result. Those seats sprung at the front have always worried me. Wonder how many testicles they have claimed over the years!

landyacht

Postby landyacht » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:15 pm

the problem with a mill is somebody has to operate it.I talked over the job wih a friend , but he reckoned it would be too fiddly. it took less time with the grinder than the time he took to decide it was too hard. with what ive learnt the next one will be better. the next big challenge will be making the dies to punch out the ends for the kelly bars. i thought if im going to do all that hand filing, I'll build a cold punch then stamp out the ends when they are hot from a forge.
its all stopped now as i have a busy month ahead with beverley, a WA state landsailing champs
http://www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Land ... ber-27-29/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
then off to pick up 12 guage wire for PF spokes :D
re the seat, I had my doubts from just sitting on it, but when your riding it really works well. you need to tilt the seat up at the front and keep the weight firmly on the centre. as you speed up the back rolls side to side HEAPS! as well as for and aft. the double front springs allow the rear to roll very easily. My daughter calls it the wibbly wobbly seat

mrned

Postby mrned » Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:12 pm

Stumbled onto this whilst searching the boards for types of leather saddles. Best read I've had in ages, what you've built is truly amazing. Well done! I look forward to seeing the other projects you undertake!
Cheers!

landyacht

Postby landyacht » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:53 pm

still getting ridden every day, I find my alloy roadie too easy to ride now. very rarely bother with 1st gear. its a pity the race season is over.
problem is the shed is backing up with the next resto

scratchman

Postby scratchman » Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:47 pm

very well done, just one comment tho', the seat stays are using bolts with nylock nuts and it appears as though
the bolts are a bit short, nylocks are inaffective unless the thread goes through the nylon by 2 threads.
Please take this as constructive critisism as I'd hate for those to let go.
If you've already addressed this, then disregard my comment :wink:
Phil

GaryF

Postby GaryF » Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:49 pm

I think you would have fitted in perfectly to the bike scene 110/120 years ago. My heartfelt congratulations for completing such an adventurous undertaking.

mark field

Postby mark field » Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:01 pm

i would like very much to see more pics in greater detail, there is so much to look at, to see is to enjoy. As the others say- well done.
steel is the real deal.