How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Summernight

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby Summernight » Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:17 am

TigerFilly wrote:Speaking of Tuesday - I was cycling to work on Tuesday and there was a big green ute that was coming out of a driveway onto the road, and had already edged out over the bike lane. So I had to move right out into the lane of traffic to get past him. As I passed him I just pointed at his tyres in the bike lane, that's all I did. So when he took off he felt the need to roar past me and give me a blast on his horn. Because you know a middle aged woman on an urban bike is so threatening to a big tough guy in a ute.
You're bucking the trend, hence his aggro. Keep up the good work. :D

I wasn't in the best mood leaving work last night due to an upset customer I had to deal with.

Then when I was almost home I had a car suddenly move left over the bike lane without looking to pull into a parking space (that didn't exist). I had to take evasive action and shout at him for his stupidity for not looking before doing something.

And then when I got home I placed the bike on its stand and went to close the front door, only to have the bike fall onto the ground as it wasn't properly secured. My front plastic mudguard snapped in the fall (which is what it is supposed to do in an accident). :cry:

Luckily electrical tape saved the day and the flap of my mudguard has been reattached. :D

Apart from some rubbing at the start of the ride this morning due to the mudguard not being in the correct position (which was fixed at a set of lights) the ride in this morning was fine. I had a laugh at a motorist who was clearly in an MGIF mood and, after overtaking me (properly due to my lane positioning), he moved back into the left lane and had just put his foot on the accelerator... Only to have to re-merge into the right lane as a truck was parked in the left lane not 100 metres up the road. Anyone actually looking at road conditions and planning ahead would have seen that truck, but not this person as he was clearly fixated on passing me.

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:28 am

__PG__ wrote:Did you get the rego number of the scooter? (Assuming it had one).
No plates on it. I'm pretty sure it's the same lot that tear up the park with an assortment of trail bikes.....
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

TonyMax

Postby TonyMax » Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:42 am

If you swerved into them (not hitting, just baulking and then swerving away) I wonder if they'd deviate onto the grass and crash? Might teach them a lesson. No helmets by the looks?

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:08 pm

TonyMax wrote:If you swerved into them (not hitting, just baulking and then swerving away) I wonder if they'd deviate onto the grass and crash? Might teach them a lesson. No helmets by the looks?
No need t swerve. Last week it was 2 on a little white scooter wanted to play chicken, near Bell St.

Stupid kids. :lol:

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:15 pm

TonyMax wrote:If you swerved into them (not hitting, just baulking and then swerving away) I wonder if they'd deviate onto the grass and crash? Might teach them a lesson. No helmets by the looks?
Nope, no helmets, no license plate, no right to be on the path, no respect for legitimate path users. I've had them stick out their legs and arms at me in a threatening manner as they are about to pass, and yep, I've thought about engaging them, but mass and momentum isn't on my side, so I've made sure to avoid potential contact....
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:52 pm

TailWind wrote:
Nope, no helmets, no license plate, no right to be on the path, no respect for legitimate path users. I've had them stick out their legs and arms at me in a threatening manner as they are about to pass, and yep, I've thought about engaging them, but mass and momentum isn't on my side, so I've made sure to avoid potential contact....
Are they regular enough on their route to suggest a discretely stationed police presence at a certain time and place?
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:25 pm

Wondered why there were so many cops & firies on my commute - pic says it all really
More detail http://goo.gl/aD7V2C" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Anything you can do, I can do slower

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:52 pm

find_bruce wrote:Wondered why there were so many cops & firies on my commute - pic says it all really
so are you forgiving the il-placed bins? :mrgreen:

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:20 am

Had to be home at 5pm yesterday for an telecon, so gave it some gas on the way back. Pleasingly, the effort was reflected in a pretty good time (for me :mrgreen: ).

Already completed my second commute for the day today. Home into the CBD, then across to Fitzroy North for a father's day breakfast at the kiddo's school.
Heading back into the CBD, I checked out some of the smaller roads in Fitzroy.
Heading to an intersection with Canning St., there's a new warning sign to alert motorists to bicycles using Canning, which is a major cycling corridor, complete with bike traffic jams at intersections.
Interestingly, the sign flashes in a rhythm similar to some blinkies.
Mulit-hop commute this afternoon, stopping off at my brother's place for some refreshments.

Happy Friday! :D

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:23 am

Well met last evening, Nezumi! Sorry I couldn't hold a decent conversation while we waited at the traffic lights due to my out-of-breath puffing after getting up the Collins Street hill. :P

Loved your hand signals further up at the Macarthur St pedestrian lights. I was going to shout out something to you while waiting at those lights but decided against it on account of the three cyclists in front of me and the embarrassment factor . :)

As I posted in the Dumb Cyclist's thread, on this morning's run (pre bike commute) I was probably labelled the crazy jogging lady by the bike rider I told off.

Mr Old-School Telstra jersey/jacket (with the orange and blue colours ala: http://companies-history.com/wp-content ... elstra.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) flat bar commuting bike rider passed me on the MYT up the Boulie hill going towards Walmer Street. Guess who I saw in the bushes in his usual spot doing a bit of yellow watering? Yup. He pees there so often that he has worn a path into the bush. I know this guy's commute goes straight past the toilets at the CCF so stopping to pee only a couple of minutes later is just plain dumb. You aren't in a cycling race and you know exactly where the nearest public toilet is. Do the decent thing and pee in a proper toilet. :roll:

Anyway, as he was relieving himself I passed him. Further down the track when it kinks left to meet the Walmer Street bridge he overtakes me again... By going between me and the oncoming female jogger. Said oncoming jogger had to move so as not to be hit and threw her hands up in a "what the?" expression. Way, way too close and a very stupid move when you have brakes or could have overtaken off the path on the left OR the right. Instead you needlessly pushed through a small gap.

I shouted "Too close" at you at that time as I agreed with the oncoming jogger that your move was dangerous and needless. I don't think you heard. Lucky for you, you were stuck waiting at the traffic lights at the intersection of Walmer/Burnley and Victoria Streets... So I puffed my way up to you and told you about your dangerous overtake and that there was a toilet at the CCF that you should use instead of constantly stopping to pee in the same spot every time our paths meet.

Of course, there were two cyclists waiting in front of you at the lights who heard me politely tell you off and seemed to commiserate with you about the crazy jogging lady (one shook his head). Whatever. If Mr Telstra-commuter is on here, please be more courteous to fellow path users.

The fog rolled in between my morning run and my ride to work so it was a lovely, misty ride. Even with the salmon skateboarder in the bike lane not looking where she was going and skating there when there are two perfectly good footpaths AND a bike lane going in the direction she wanted to go. Silly: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-ipXxWDsRs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:34 am

Mububban wrote:
TailWind wrote:
Are they regular enough on their route to suggest a discretely stationed police presence at a certain time and place?
Well, there was an illl-fated attempt by the police to crack down on them...I've seen no attempts to patrol the area since.

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:35 am

Nice rides last few days.....I even saw another bike on Plenty Rd yesterday morning (I leave at 4.30am) which was a shock. Only downside was spring lulled me into a false sense of security so I've been in shorts last week or so. Cold yesty and today though :? Still have 3 layers on top that early, which is a pain to carry home each night. Might have to put a wardrobe in the office, rather than just leaving stuff lie around the place :lol:

M80 magpie still there, I think he was on double time two nights ago. Got me at 8.00pm.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:50 am

fat and old wrote:I even saw another bike on Plenty Rd yesterday morning (I leave at 4.30am) which was a shock.
it was probably TW. he leaves around that time

FiveDaysAWeek

Postby FiveDaysAWeek » Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:36 pm

Glorious commute in this morning: no rain, no aggro birds, no absent-minded pedestrians or drivers, no issues at all. I could get used to this.

Bit surprised to glance down at the bottom left corner of my browser just now to see: