Mt Coot-tha

winona_rider

Mt Coot-tha

Postby winona_rider » Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:05 pm

How cool is it?

I try and ride it every weekend and recently I missed it for about 6 weekends in a row and boy did that absence suck my power.

So this weekend i did it twice and I didn't even try to tackle my best time but I thought about our little hill while i went up and it really is such a good training and power-creating zone.

But then today I noticed a memorial on the way up (the back way). It was a wooden post with a bike wheel behind it and i think it said "perko". I think this was a memorial to a guy that died there last year - on the way down cause it was on that side of the road.

pretty creepy.
:(
RIP

sillyboy

Postby sillyboy » Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:10 pm

I've wanted to try do mt. coot-tha, but been told the roads are pretty narrow. When is the best time to go?

Pax

Postby Pax » Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:18 pm

sillyboy wrote:I've wanted to try do mt. coot-tha, but been told the roads are pretty narrow. When is the best time to go?
I've always found early mornings (during the week) and going anti-clockwise (I enter from Simpsons Rd) to be safe.

BQ actually have an advisory on their site re safety on this route
http://www.bq.org.au/bq-info/news.shtml

lukas

Postby lukas » Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:05 pm

I did Cootha on last year's Cootha Challenge. It's a nice steep little climb, and conveniently close to town.

Anyone know how long it is, and the ave gradient? I remember it being shorter than I expected, but rather steep the whole way up.
Cervelo R3
Canyon Ultimate AL

winona_rider

Postby winona_rider » Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:39 pm

on the steeper and longer "back" section it's about 2.3 kms.
there's a white spray-painted line that indicates the "official" start.
then i think there's another marker at 750m
and then i think one at 2kms...and then a line at the end! (phew)

my goal is to do it in under 10mins.

i am about 30seconds off that goal atm.

it's a pretty safe climb i think if you climb it anti-clockwise. there are only one or two sections with sharp bends that could be a worry if a speeding car blasts around but i try to do these sections as quickly as i can to reduce any risk. i regularly do it in the middle of the day (on weekends) and only get passed by only 6 or 7 cars and maybe a few motorbikes.

chris641

Postby chris641 » Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:13 pm

lukas wrote:I did Cootha on last year's Cootha Challenge. It's a nice steep little climb, and conveniently close to town.

Anyone know how long it is, and the ave gradient? I remember it being shorter than I expected, but rather steep the whole way up.
Its 2.3k and the average gradient is 9%.. so its short and steep basically. Quite enjoyable though, and in reply to 'sillyboy', i go at all sorts of different times and hardly ever get passed by any cars. Its pretty safe.