How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

jules21

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby jules21 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:54 pm

find_bruce wrote:
jules21 wrote:i got overtaken by an oldies' bunch ride this morning on the MYT! those oldies were sure giving it some. i was on a recovery ride. yes, yes i was.. :shock:
& you are still recovering ... From the shame :mrgreen:
i've moved on to the anger phase, Bruce. tomorrow i will bring my carbon roadie. they'd better be there again :)

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:59 pm

Some days you just have to shake your head

Mr iPlod who was too busy looking at the small thing in his hand to notice he had meandered onto the bike path

Little Miss Safety in the high vis vest with dozens of flashing lights that apparently protect her when she is riding through red lights

Mr Slalom, who MGIF of a pedestrian at an obvious pinch point, never mind the oncoming jogger who he nearly bowled over

Finally just when I am nearly home an Audi at a roundabout crosses over double dividing lines, because, you know, he/she MGIF.

Imaginary deity help me. Hopefully tomorrow will return to my usual imbecile free commute

crog

Postby crog » Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:36 pm

Hello all

I have been away some time well a change of jobs and a chance to commute by train / bike has given me a chance return to the bike I introduced myself in general forum so people know my story but basically about 4 years of bike couple of kids and 20 to 25kg heavier so did my first commute today Moorabin Airport to Springvale station.

Let say it hurt and I picked a day with massive headwind home. Why well

No company car in this job (pool cars) so I have bitten the bullet to become a 5 day commuter for health (mainly) and financial reasons and I missed my rides.

Well my ride is 10km's from train station in days of old would be a warm up ride. Not now took me 40 minutes into the strong afternoon headwind in Melbourne and wondering how tomorrow legs will feel but no choice train and 10k's in morning and 10k's at night is my minimum. Maybe soon I will extend by riding to and from stations further away but I found out from the Garmin 705 my base fitness is shot but basically from clayton/Westall/Springvale station (will be looking for routes over coming days) to Moorabin airport is my commute so pretty good and scoping out routes. Did not see many riders but if you see a fat block on a Norco flatbar with maybe a bob or panniers its me so say hi

Previous commutes were Pyrmont to Chatswood over harbour bridge in Sydney and Pyrmont to Beverly hills in Sydney, Malvern to abbotsford/CBD along scotchmans in Melbourne so this is pretty mundane but those commutes above I could no even comprehend at the moment

So you will see me on this forum hopefully regularly been away for a while so a lot to catch up on.

Now to look at lights :-) gear bug is already biting and if I loose the 40kilos my wife will allow me to get my dream commuter (well was probably something new now ) but a surly Long Haul Trucker (with a Rohloff but we wont tell her that)

Cheers all

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:16 am

welcome (back) crog

get a decent light
i've got a lezeyne super drive XL that does the job nicely.

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:59 am

Welcome crog!

Great commute pace this morning until I saw a guy in green MTB and pass me like I am not moving.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:26 am

I noticed a Fly6 on the bicycle of the guy wearing the tri club knicks waiting at the lights in front of me at the corner of Lennox and Elizabeth Streets, Richmond, last night so I gave a smile and a wave to the camera. He probably won't see it, but it amused me to do so. Next time I notice a Fly6 in front of me I'm going to do the hand gesture for 'Call me' and blow a kiss (I don't care which gender the rider is, it'll just make me laugh at the thought that they might review the footage and see me doing that and go "What the?". :D )

Did anyone get a nice tailwind out of that gusty ride this morning? I almost got blown over doing a right hand turn into Cathedral Place, Melbourne CBD.

Robinho

Postby Robinho » Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:48 am

Summernight wrote:I noticed a Fly6 on the bicycle of the guy wearing the tri club knicks waiting at the lights in front of me at the corner of Lennox and Elizabeth Streets, Richmond, last night so I gave a smile and a wave to the camera. He probably won't see it, but it amused me to do so. Next time I notice a Fly6 in front of me I'm going to do the hand gesture for 'Call me' and blow a kiss (I don't care which gender the rider is, it'll just make me laugh at the thought that they might review the footage and see me doing that and go "What the?". :D )

Did anyone get a nice tailwind out of that gusty ride this morning? I almost got blown over doing a right hand turn into Cathedral Place, Melbourne CBD.
I'm glad it's not just me, I always wave or blow a kiss or wink at other people's cameras, on the off chance they review footage at home and get a laugh

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:06 am

yes, there are quite a few who do silly faces in the cameras. it's the latest trend

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:07 pm

Summernight wrote:Next time I notice a Fly6 in front of me I'm going to do the hand gesture for 'Call me' and blow a kiss (I don't care which gender the rider is, it'll just make me laugh at the thought that they might review the footage and see me doing that and go "What the?". :D )
:lol: :lol: Classic! Don't know that I'd be game, it's too small a town here :mrgreen:

The radar told me a pack of filthy lies this morning and I got rained upon for at least 50% of my ride in. Was nice light misty rain though and not too cold so no harm no foul.

Counted 5 bikes and 2 peds dis the red lights outside the RAC building - with a divvy van waiting at the lights (which I guess had bigger fish to fry). Positively it must be the most annoying crossing in the whole city but with an audience I'd rather just take the drinks break.
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

Robinho

Postby Robinho » Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:07 pm

jasonc wrote:yes, there are quite a few who do silly faces in the cameras. it's the latest trend
in which case I shall claim I started it!

rdp_au

Postby rdp_au » Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:21 pm

What is this, a warm sunny day? It felt very strange to feel real heat in the air as I made a late morning run into work today. Quite a change from the weeks and weeks of wet, winter conditions we've been enduring in Sydney of late. Coupled with the relatively light and well behaved traffic and a bit of a tailwind, it made for a very nice trip :-)

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:22 pm

Fast in :D , slow and painful back :( Beat the rain though, so it's even Steven 8)

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:47 pm

early exit as it's my baby's birthday. surprised her by picking her up from school

kb

Postby kb » Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:47 am

Summernight wrote:Did anyone get a nice tailwind out of that gusty ride this morning? I almost got blown over doing a right hand turn into Cathedral Place, Melbourne CBD.
There were a couple of sketchy moments. Tend to mostly get crosswinds coming from the east. I was most impressed by the girl track standing cnr of Russell and La Trobe streets. Especially since I was having trouble standing in the non-track manner.

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:52 am

Not only did I see another bike this morning, but I passed him!!! pwned!!!!! :P :P AND he was on a drop bar, full pro-commuter set up 8)

Nothing like a blinky light in the distance to get that cadence up :lol:

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:02 am

Tired legs today, so did an extra 10km on the way to work, just to make sure they are completely knackered

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:30 am

What a wild day (in terms of weather) it was yesterday. Windy morning, wind in the right direction, but a dire picture on the radar. Decided to take the shorter route into the CBD to avoid flying debris and falling trees on the Darebin Creek Trail, and to minimise rain exposure. Ended up only getting a few drops.
The afternoon was even windier I thought, and was blowing straight at me. Quite a slog to get up north. Beat the rain and hail.

Calm and mostly dry this morning, however, the M80 underpass onto the DCT was flooded, so I had to backtrack and detour.
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:34 am

Totes overdressed last night for the ride home. Didn't get rained, hailed or spat on and it was HUMID. I even missed seeing the hail/rain spectacular out the office window.

I saw the lightning in the distance on my way home and was a bit "oooookay, that doesn't look good".

This morning on my morning run the debris from yesterday's storm was everywhere along the MYT - one of the posts on the Gipps Street stairs retaining wall has broken away (presumably from all that rain coming at once). I've reported it to the Yarra Council so hopefully they fix that up soon before the whole thing comes down.

The legs felt tired on the ride in this morning. I had the cyclist behind me cut in front of me when turning left from Cathedral Place into MacArthur. He quickly realised his error, was contrite and apologised and let me go ahead again so that was okay and he was forgiven, but it was a bit of a MGIF attitude on display there. I had indicated my intentions too. Just because I don't hug the gutter doesn't mean I'm not going left.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:38 am

up early to take the dog for a 3km run, then on the bike for 24km commute to work. my seat broke - luckily only at the 22km mark, so finished it out of the saddle :evil:

Rex

Postby Rex » Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:09 pm

Sick to death of the winter indoor trainer thing so I have started my Daily Commute campaign today.

So, so good.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:40 pm

welcome aboard rex

oxonabike

Postby oxonabike » Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:46 pm

Yes I was wondering how the Melbourne commuters fared during the weatherpocalypse. I should probably just mention the halcyon month or more of perfect commuting weather we've been getting up here as we leave what we call winter behind. A sniff of warmth entered the equation this week, negating the need for any layers or arm warmers. Clear skies, friendly breezes, its been just great. Coming soon, to a tropical location near you, will be insane humidity, downpours, and strength sapping heat, so I'm making the most out of this excellent spell while it lasts.

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:41 pm

Morning: Good, unremarkable.

Spent half my day in meetings that were about as productive, coherent and enjoyable as putting a steel garbage can over your head, hitting it repeatedly with a hammer and screaming.

Took off home at a balls-out sprint, and have hit the wall halfway home. On a rest break birdwatching by the river until I can limp onto the train :/
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:05 pm

Yesterday was insane in Melbourne. With a ridiculous northerly I rode the short way in so I was inland instead of going along the beach. Ride home was alright though.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

TigerFilly

Postby TigerFilly » Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:18 am

Left in a hurry this morning and didn't pack my coat, so of course it started spitting within 5 mins, but the rain then held off for the rest of the ride in.

Coming home I was very glad to be on my bike as the railway crossing barriers got stuck at a major intersection just near home. (South Rd/ Cross Rd for the AdelaideIans). I could see a police car across the intersection so dutifully sat there obeying the red cycling light for a good three or four minutes, but then the police man got out of his car and walked across in front of the boom gates himself so I walked over and he told me they were stuck. I then very cheerfully sped off home leaving a very big traffic jam behind me.