How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

fat and old

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby fat and old » Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:35 am

I reckon that M80 magpie has it in for me :lol: Last night another cyclist exited the ring road path just as I got on it. Great says me, he can take the heat and I'll sneak past 8) Watching him, no maggie :? So I ride on, just as I get onto the road again, smack! Straight into me. That's karma at work, right there.

Fast in again today, gotta love a tailwind. I love when after riding in a crosswind for a while, you turn and it becomes a tailwind. Goes all quiet, like I can hear my heartbeat. 8)

And I reached the halfway point in my "savings from commuting is the only way my wife will cop a new bike" campaign last night :D

crog

Postby crog » Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:38 am

Bit the bullet today and did the morning as mentioned going for the 5 day commuter and getting back into it but avoided yesterday due to weather. Well this morning I braved the rain which stopped when I got to work as would be the case

Was reasonably happy a little wet 10k's in 30 minutes . Takes 1hr door to door with train and then riding when used to take me 45 min drive, so extra 1/2 hour a day and I get 1 hour on the bike and exercise gains me 30 minutes and arrive at work fresh

Was hit by Magpie next to kingswood golf club, scared crap out of me I forgot about magpies with my time off the bike. time for the porcupine helmet or stickers on top.

be safe out there

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:21 am

How every commute should be - beautiful sunny day & not a moron in sight

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:45 pm

I heard the rain hammering down early morning, thought to myself "Glad today is a swimming day and not a running day and that I don't have to commute at this time of the morning" (I did think of you TailWind), went swimming (in a proper pool, not in the rain, which could have been the same thing :P ) and then got home and had a lovely rain-free ride to work.

I joked with the road works man who had closed off Little Bourke Street as I had come up behind him and was pootling along at low speed, waiting for him to realise I was there and let me through. His companion pointed out to him that I was there behind him and he said I gave him a fright as "he was expecting a motor engine". We had a laugh about that. Vroom vroom! :mrgreen:

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:51 pm

oh - i had a good one this morning. sir william macgreggor drive through UQ St lucia is a 30km/h zone. there were some roads works signs along there this morning tell people to slow down to 40km/h

TonyMax

Postby TonyMax » Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:01 pm

Another beautiful morning for a ride to work this morning, I actually think I was overdressed, and will be ditching the base layer and overshoes for the ride home.

Slightly quicker this morning than last week surprisingly, even with a later start/more traffic to contend with.

westab

Postby westab » Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:08 pm

Lovely weather at the moment for me as well - too good I so wanted to skip work and just keep riding.

The good news is that I have to ride home tonight and have lots of other things that I need to do. So more riding. :mrgreen:
Not fast, no style, but still get there.

nezumi

Postby nezumi » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:50 pm

I managed to miss the storm in Meblourne, and then today;s ride had some light drizzle but nothing significant. Nice dry roads for the run home, including a Strava top ten :D
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4
2015 Merida Scultura 5000

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:08 pm

Summernight wrote:I noticed a Fly6 on the bicycle of the guy wearing the tri club knicks waiting at the lights in front of me at the corner of Lennox and Elizabeth Streets, Richmond, last night so I gave a smile and a wave to the camera. He probably won't see it, but it amused me to do so. Next time I notice a Fly6 in front of me I'm going to do the hand gesture for 'Call me' and blow a kiss (I don't care which gender the rider is, it'll just make me laugh at the thought that they might review the footage and see me doing that and go "What the?". :D )
Challenge accepted and completed- poor random guy is going to get three minutes of a twit on a giant blowing kisses, asking him to ring etc before I turned off at Greenwood if he downloads and checks his video (and no I did not wheelsuck).

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:07 pm

CXCommuter wrote:Challenge accepted and completed- poor random guy is going to get three minutes of a twit on a giant blowing kisses, asking him to ring etc before I turned off at Greenwood if he downloads and checks his video (and no I did not wheelsuck).
This is my mate Dave, who happens to be the product manager at Cell Bikes. :D

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:43 am

Trailgumby, now I am all nostalgic for riding in Sydney, memories of living in Pyrmont and working at Balls Head and commuting on my MTB's - the stairs are great on a downhill bike, but probably too busy now for that I have heard

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:03 am

After all the rain locally it was finally time to stretch the legs and extend the commute. Got up early, checked the radar and saw not much. Left about 630 for a 30km loop including a fair portion of the Fernleigh Track. Guesstimates at decent rain for about 15km of it. Well and truly soaked after the first 5 minutes of rain. Had a spray jacket with me, but nowhere to stop and put it on. had left my overshoes and mudguard at home thinking I wouldn't get wet :(
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:58 am

Summernight wrote:I heard the rain hammering down early morning, thought to myself "Glad today is a swimming day and not a running day and that I don't have to commute at this time of the morning" (I did think of you TailWind)
Thanks, that's sweet of you, Summer :mrgreen:
I was actually fairly fortunate to miss the worst of the weather this week, bar a couple of light showers...

Hectic week otherwise. I'll be moving to a new client in a couple of weeks time, so lots of debates with my current client and negotioations with the new one.
My commute route will be largely the same, just a little shorter. (Don't get excited Jason, only about by 400m or so, still on Collins St :mrgreen: )

Wednesday afternoon's commute saw couple of incidents. Heidelberg Rd, Fairfield - a ute had knocked down a schoolboy at a ped crossing, must have happened during the previous traffic light cycle. Kid was fine and standing up, people had stopped to help.

Not 100m further, a pasta delivery truck wants to occupy the the same space/time as me, desperate to make the light just ahead:
That's just after the magically disappearing bike lane. Caught up with him further down and beat him to the left turn at the lights anyway. :twisted:

Decent rides otherwise, apart from my knees acting up a bit after fitting new cleats. Fixed with a few doses of anti-inflammatories over 36 hrs.
Now if only this northerly would settle down a bit.....

Happy Friday! :D
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:00 am

CXCommuter wrote:
Summernight wrote:I noticed a Fly6 on the bicycle of the guy wearing the tri club knicks waiting at the lights in front of me at the corner of Lennox and Elizabeth Streets, Richmond, last night so I gave a smile and a wave to the camera. He probably won't see it, but it amused me to do so. Next time I notice a Fly6 in front of me I'm going to do the hand gesture for 'Call me' and blow a kiss (I don't care which gender the rider is, it'll just make me laugh at the thought that they might review the footage and see me doing that and go "What the?". :D )
Challenge accepted and completed- poor random guy is going to get three minutes of a twit on a giant blowing kisses, asking him to ring etc before I turned off at Greenwood if he downloads and checks his video (and no I did not wheelsuck).
Ahahaha. Love your work. :P

You are clearly in the lead at the moment as three minutes worth of blowing kisses takes skill and I wouldn't have thought to continue with such finesse like you have! Wish I could see that footage. :D

This morning a couple of commuters clearly needed a refresher course in hand signals. I signal my right hand hook turn on the corner of Elizabeth St and Collins St when waiting at the red traffic light so that cyclists behind me can see and move up on the right of me and not get stuck when I go slowly on the green.

Despite my clear signalling this morning, not only did the cyclist behind me and the cyclist to the right of me not understand the right hand turn hand signal but they also rode slowly and too closely to me as I'm continuing my signalling and entering the hook turn box. I think the guy behind me almost crashed into me too when I stopped in the box in the correct spot for the turn. :roll:

This morning was also a reminder about why I love riding my bike. The same intersection with the hand signal issues mentioned above had a tram completely blocking one direction of Elizabeth St traffic (it looked like it had lost power). All trams in the area were stopped and the cars were going nowhere fast. Not so the trusty bicycle that could ride around the stopped tram! Bike FTW!

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:05 pm

Nice ride in :D

However, lost my patience with the people building a new bridge to connect the Darebin Ck path to a side street last night. Been closed since May or something, last week for no reason as the job's finished, even the council agreed it was. Last night after the rain the prospect of going around in the mud again made me see red. Fences are down, trail is now open.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:03 pm

my commute wheel, pro-lite comos, hit 23000kms on the way home this arvo (photo is in the commute pictures thread)
and i had to carry a groupset home in my backpack. you don't want that on a friday arvo

sunrisedigital

Postby sunrisedigital » Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:05 am

What do cyclist think about Vic Roads possible idea of cyclist treating stop lights as stop signs, I for one would never use this deadly rule if it comes in .. It will kill more cycles.. Because of the tunnel vision of drivers and the selfish way driver claim there pierce of road.. (Not all and especially not drivers that ride a bike on the road ) ....

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:41 pm

sunrisedigital wrote:What do cyclist think about Vic Roads possible idea of cyclist treating stop lights as stop signs,
i have a traffic light that my bike won't trigger. it's 500m from home, no cars. i stop, look then go
what choice do i have?

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:37 pm

Mixed for me. Some lights I can see it being an advantage and others being a complete mess. Left turns will be the big advantage. Turning right/crossing straight through is an accident waiting to happen. I don't have many problems with red lights and turning left. I just mount the footpath and use the first driveway to get back onto the road. Yay for being able to ride bikes on footpaths in Queensland :P

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:14 pm

Yesterday arvo started out very unpleasantly, donning the cold, wet and somewhat smelly gear from the mornings commute. The uber-dry room at work heating has packed it in, so it's just a hanging room with some ventilation now.

Then about 2/3 in as I cruised along I realised I was about 5min behind where I should be to meet the get home deadline and ended to put tired legs from the morning ride back to work. :(
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

FiveDaysAWeek

Postby FiveDaysAWeek » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:56 am

sunrisedigital wrote:What do cyclist think about Vic Roads possible idea of cyclist treating stop lights as stop signs
Sounds to me like a case of "can't stop 'em so why not legalise it?", and a very bad idea. Personally I think you can stop people from running red lights by enforcing the existing laws, and I think that will start happening in a serious way once there are enough bikes around (and the current NSW $67 fine is raised) to make it financially worthwhile to the state government.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:58 am

legs were smashed from yesterday. going to be a looooong week

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:50 am

fat and old wrote:Nice ride in :D

However, lost my patience with the people building a new bridge to connect the Darebin Ck path to a side street last night. Been closed since May or something, last week for no reason as the job's finished, even the council agreed it was. Last night after the rain the prospect of going around in the mud again made me see red. Fences are down, trail is now open.
Nice work, f&o, but you missed a few :mrgreen:

I also find the new section of the path a lot narrower than the original one, with the potential for ped mayhem where the bridge joins the path:

Would have preferred the council to build an underpass under Settlement Rd (where the creek flows under the road) to properly join the DCT at that point.
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

oxonabike

Postby oxonabike » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:51 am

jasonc wrote:legs were smashed from yesterday. going to be a looooong week
Yeah, similar here. 200 km + training ride yesterday, so today was definitely a recovery commute. Strangely, not feeling too bad on the bike. Only hurts when I walk around.

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:14 am

Did the usual mulit-hop commute on Friday and encountered my bogan friends on the Darebin Creek Trail near Northland again - this time they were on a petrol motor powered MTB. I think they recognise me now, because as they approached, they started gesticulating and yelling "Darebin Creek Trail Hoons"....Perhaps they've been perusing my DCT Rogues Gallery and come across themselves in a number of the pics.

Saturday morning, I had the setup shift for the annual October Fest at the kid's school. Hopped on the bike and rode down in order to get there early.
Nailed again by the M80 magpie.
Beautiful day, and I had a good ride back, until I got to the point on Plenty Rd where the bikelane morphs into the left turn only lane for Childs Rd. I have to merge into the left only lane, and then merge across to the straight ahead lane closer to the intersection, traffic allowing.
Fluoro-clad ute driver pulls up aggressivley behind me still in the left turn lane, then squeezes past yelling expletives at me as I prepare to merge right. Good thing he had the green turn arrow, would have been nasty had he been forced to stop at the red.

Expected rain this morning, but made it into the CBD before it hit.