You beauty - let everyone see what you've got!

Sharkey

Re: You beauty - let everyone see what you've got!

Postby Sharkey » Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:53 pm

I finished building up my Pinarello Montello and took it for a short test ride today. I have to say I am extremely happy with how it has turned out.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:28 pm

Nice

landyacht

Postby landyacht » Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:07 pm

better get sexy bikes off your mind , this ones a tad domestic.
i saw this laying in a garden after a container cleanout and on the offchance left a card asking if they would like to sell it.
the owners rang back and wouldnt take any money, so im its new home.
even pumped up the gumwalls and rode home.
bike had been stored since1990. rather a sweet bike to tootle along on, the 56 tooth big ring was a shock to the legs though :D
LA 84 malvern star will look great alongside a friends 1980 MS olympics bike

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:38 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:Nice
Understatement.

Pinarello used to make such pretty steeds. :(
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Lots of steel bikes

Postby Lots of steel bikes » Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:54 pm

I finished building up my Pinarello Montello and took it for a short test ride today. I have to say I am extremely happy with how it has turned out.

Very, very nice. What rims are those?

open roader

Postby open roader » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:04 pm

Finished at last!

My Casati Monza, fairly close to the original plan. I did purchase a 3TTT pantographed Casati quill stem, however, the clamp was too wide to allow my chosen bars to slide through the bends so back to plan 'A' and a cheap alloy stem.

Frameset was a second hand purchase from Velossimo (Hungary) and came chrome plated with some tarnishing around the BB area which I have by and large removed but otherwise very good condition built with second hand Athena compact UT cranks and 2nd hand Athena 11 brakes plus second hand Athena 11 Ultrashift internal shifters.

The derailleurs are both new so is the Chorus chain and Chorus 12-27 cassette and the Record 1" threaded headset is also new. Mavic Open Pro silver rims laced with DT spokes to silver Record hubs (32h) Vittoria Open Corsa SC clinchers with latex tubes, 23mm up front and 25mm down the back. 2nd hand SMP Dynamic saddle (non negotiable fixture) on a 2nd hand Deda alloy post and NOS ITM anatomic bars on a 2nd hand alloy stem.

Not a bad looking second string bike. I'm sending this one to my friend in NZ who will store it for me so I can take a week off 3 or 4 times a year and just ride......

3rd class cycling is always better than 1st class walking

Sharkey

Postby Sharkey » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:15 pm

Lots of steel bikes wrote:I finished building up my Pinarello Montello and took it for a short test ride today. I have to say I am extremely happy with how it has turned out.

Very, very nice. What rims are those?
The idea was to build it up with all modern components that had an old school look.
Here are the details:

Frame: Late 80’s Pinarello Montello (Columbus SLX tubing)
Groupset: Campagnolo Athena 11 sp (with ultra torque crankset)
Wheels: H Plus Son Archetypes on Novatec hubs (Campy copies)
Tyres: Vittoria Open Corsa SC
Seatpost: Nitto S83
Saddle: Selle San Marco Regal
Headset: Campagnolo Record
Stem: Nitto Technomic Deluxe
Handlebars: Nitto B136

I think it comes in at about 9.5kg or so which is not bad considering I gave absolutely zero consideration to the weight of components.

And it rides beautifully too.

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:44 pm

Dat's a lot of stem on the Pinny! Still pretty darn nice though.

Jim

morini

Postby morini » Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:52 am

Both the Casati and the Pinarello are sublimely beautiful.

I'm sure a few of us can recommend another riding destination for you to leave the bike. :)

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:06 am

Dem there Pinny and Casati be one bootifull looking bikes! :mrgreen:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

elantra

Postby elantra » Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:18 pm

landyacht wrote:better get sexy bikes off your mind , this ones a tad domestic.
i saw this laying in a garden after a container cleanout and on the offchance left a card asking if they would like to sell it.
the owners rang back and wouldnt take any money, so im its new home.
even pumped up the gumwalls and rode home.
bike had been stored since1990. rather a sweet bike to tootle along on, the 56 tooth big ring was a shock to the legs though :D
It does amaze me that bikes in the 70's and early 80's had such big chainrings, since these bikes were relatively heavy.
People must have had stronger legs in those days :wink:
At least yours has a good spread of ratios in the freewheel :D

Sharkey

Postby Sharkey » Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:36 pm

open roader wrote: Not a bad looking second string bike.

That too is an understatement. It's gorgeous. I think I'll borrow your red white and green finishing tape idea for my Montello.

familyguy wrote:
Dat's a lot of stem on the Pinny!
Yeah. I took the photos just before the first ride and I had set both stem and seatpost deliberately high so I didn't leave any visible marks in them. I stopped several times on the first ride and tweaked the heights and angles incrementally until it felt right. The stem is probably 25mm lower now.

PommieYeti

Postby PommieYeti » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:47 pm

Wow some stunning bikes posted on this forum
I Just Picked this up while over in the uk and brought it back with me as park of my luggage allowance :D
I have the original raleigh/huret gears/weinmann 500 brakes but I am not sure if to keep the frame as is or repaint it ? or to use the campy gear/groupset from my old concorde bike, as thats a little to big for me ? ( and i never got round to getting the seat tube removed as my wife didn't think the owners of our rented apartment would like me pouring acid all over the balcony in trying to remove it :oops: )

hopefully I will do something with this one otherwise it will stay on the balcony with the other 3 bikes. :oops:
My Wifes blog http://kiristraveltales.wordpress.com/2 ... a-new-car/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

elantra

Postby elantra » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:53 pm

PommieYeti wrote:Wow some stunning bikes posted on this forum
I Just Picked this up while over in the uk and brought it back with me as park of my luggage allowance :D
I have the original raleigh/huret gears/weinmann 500 brakes but I am not sure if to keep the frame as is or repaint it ? or to use the campy gear/groupset from my old concorde bike, as thats a little to big for me ? ( and i never got round to getting the seat tube removed as my wife didn't think the owners of our rented apartment would like me pouring acid all over the balcony in trying to remove it :oops: )

hopefully I will do something with this one otherwise it will stay on the balcony with the other 3 bikes. :oops:
Does not appear to need a repaint as far as i can see in your photos.
By the way, cranks look rather long, or is it an optical illusion ?
Keep us updated on the restoration please.

trackside

Postby trackside » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:12 am

This is my father's track frame.

Italian frame builder Tom Dell'Amato built it in 1963 for Malvern Star in Northcote, ₪Melbourne.

It's made from Reynolds 531, Nervex/Reynolds lugs/ends.

It has the specific design instruction to be made for flat track racing. ...as opposed to velodrome racing. Changes the frame geometry.

22.5" top bar, 23" seat tube, 39.5" wheel base, 16.5" rear stay.14.25" forks.

Bill said it was the most stable track frame he ever rode...and i guess that's why he kept it.

In 1964 at the Wangaratta ANA Carnival in Victoria my father rode this frame to win the International Grand Prix (match race) up against 5 other riders.

Namely Sid Patterson, Jos DeBaker, Jens Sorenson, Ron Grenda and Joe Siovola. Google those boys.

In 1980 the frame was brought back to life by Rupert Bates. Apparently one of the last he worked on before he died.

As far as Bill was concerned there were only 2 blokes to paint it and Tom Wallace (Brisbane) had stopped because his eyes had gone. Rupert did this one personally because of what it was and his long association with Malvern Star he wanted to " bring it back to its former glory..."

And so it was raced for its last track season and retired.

It's never been crashed....I was never allowed to race it. I had my own Hillman's and then zullo's. There used to be stronglight steel cotter pin cranks on it and air light wheels Brooks.

trackside

Postby trackside » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:14 am

GaryF

Postby GaryF » Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:01 am

Great photos Trackside. Your frame would have to be considered quite an important link in the '5 Star' history. Knowing the actual frame builder and it's reason for being, race history of the original owner, who must have been quite a rider, and all the frame's comings and goings is so highly prized. With links to all those famous names is 'gold'. What's more, every 'shaky' brush stroke has a meaning behind it. I absolutely love your frame and it's story. You exude pride in your father's riding past and I do hope your future generations find as much pride in it's history as you do as this frame should remain in your family for ever.
Last edited by GaryF on Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Typhoon Ken

Postby Typhoon Ken » Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:08 pm

Great story and a piece of history to hold onto and cherish

grantw

Postby grantw » Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:35 pm

Thanks for sharing, really interesting and a great story.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:41 pm

+3, lovely bike and a fantastic history too. Those dropouts have me interested, as they are identical to the ones on my Tom Wallace.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:13 pm

+4

trackside

Postby trackside » Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:06 pm

Ok...talked with bill this morning.
This photo is after the 1963 Wagga Wheelrace.
Bill won it on the 5 star. ..2nd was Bill Lawrie and 3rd Herb Longhurst.
He mentioned a few other rides on it....winning his heat in the austral qualifying for the final....except Oscar Platner illegally through on the duck boards and was awarded the win when he should have been disqualified. Officials offered to set him an easy ride to re qualify because they wanted the world sprint champion in the final regardless. Dad told them to stick it up they're arse because he'd already qualified and if they weren't going to put him in the final now then he wasn't going to be there for the next opportunity. ...because he'd be in cootamundra racing. And that's exactly what happened.
Ok just went through the recording some more.
He said he won the Darling River Wheelrace on it, at Bourke.
That was the first major wheelrace he won on it....think he got another picture somewhere with him and as I remember the green satin sash...
He set a half mile track record on it at cootamundra off 5 yards.
Run 2nd in the Bendigo Golden Mile on it.
Led out Ken McCarthy for the last lap and a half holding off Barry Waddell, Graeme Gilmore and Joe Siovola. After the race Tasi Johnson said "you got too much start" bill replied "no they're not good enough to catch me " he reckons they were still in conflict from the sun tours (there may have been some revenge there because the scratchmen didn't want to include him in their joke...so bill went !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! you formed up with Ken and took 1st and 2nd giving them a bigger split than the other 3 combined.
The year at the ANA Carnival with the grand prix. ...He said there were 6 wheelraces during the carnival. He won 4 of them but didn't qualify for the major. Wasted energy and he never did that again.
He showed promise early....as a 17 yo he won the QLD Senior 25 mile road title....He remembers Hubert Opperman's younger brother Bruce being in that one....1954.
He also won the QLD 10 mile track championship at Hawthorne park by more than a lap. ...being a paced race....took a lap and hit them again. Obviously not on that frame though.

He didn't get the opportunity to race this frame much as while working as a technician for the PMG (telecom/telstra)..He fell out of the roof at Reynolds chains in benalla and broke his back.
and that was game over....paralyzed for 3 months he eventually got to see Henry Crop who performed a laminectomy...with a 50/50 chance of success. ...and the odds fell in his favor. Still walking. .Andy hough the first hour of every day is a drag for him.

GaryF

Postby GaryF » Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:45 pm

Fantastic insights into the racing of that era. It must have been quite an exciting time with so many world class Aussie riders. You are so lucky to have such a wonderful first hand insight into the stories behind the results. Thanks for sharing these few glimpses with us. How fortunate to recover from such a dangerous broken back.

SPARKYDAVE

Postby SPARKYDAVE » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:18 pm

Hi all i just thought i would throw some pics of a ladies bullock i am restoring at present. I purchased a nos leather seat cover and used original rivets to put back together also have re greased hubs but like to get then plated . I don't know whether to shellac or clear coat frame to preserve paint. Any thoughts ? Image Image

adam_b83

Postby adam_b83 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:49 pm

Sharkey wrote:I finished building up my Pinarello Montello and took it for a short test ride today. I have to say I am extremely happy with how it has turned out.
i would be too, it looks really nice.
i finshed my somec ms leader last weekend and took some photos in the sun.
it has a dura ace 7402+3 group, and even a dura ace 7400 25.0 seatpost for him/her/it.