Most Prefered cycling Location in Italy

dalai47

Re: Most Prefered cycling Location in Italy

Postby dalai47 » Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:20 pm

Chris249 wrote:Anyone know what the Bormio-Tirano route is like?
I rode from Bormio to Mazzo di Valtellina which is just short of Tirano when I rode the Mortirolo - Gavia loop. All small side roads (and one short section of sealed bike trail) avoiding the main tunneled highway. Can't comment on the last section from Mazzo di Valtellina to Tirano though but a quick look at the map it seems like it would mostly avoid the highway...

Nice little family run hotel I can recommend is Alpi & Golf Hotel just on the edge of town heading towards Tirano.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:22 am

Haven't done the Umbria Pass, but it looks like a very quite road... only 2 or so kms up to the top of the Stelvio from there if you really want to ;-) .
If you can get your wife up to Santa Caterina and then start the next day from there then you are nearly there!. From Bormio to Santa Caterina is still a pretty solid 12 or so kms and you are only 10 kms from the top.
As already mention the Bormio - Tirano road is pretty quiet, I have seen a few groups take the tunnel by mistake... once you are in it very hard to get out!.You can take the small road all the way till about one or 2 kms out of Tirano.
Personally I like Bormio ... but then I get a bit spoiled with hotels and restaurants on my trips.

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:59 am

toolonglegs wrote:Haven't done the Umbria Pass, but it looks like a very quite road... only 2 or so kms up to the top of the Stelvio from there if you really want to
I only descended the Umbrial pass after ascending the Stelvio from Bormio to loop around the base and then climb up the other side of the Stelvio. Beautiful quiet road with a few km still gravel.

Scott2468

Postby Scott2468 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:48 am

Been in the Dolomites at Corvara for a week now.

Had six days riding, two in the rain. One day over passo Gaiu it was -4 and snowing. I thought I was going to die. Other than that we have been blessed. Sunshine and cool. The vistas are to die for, words can't describe it. Look at images and then double the impact.

Climbed everything around Corvara from both sides. Passo Erbe and Fedaia probably are stand outs. They are all manageable, even enjoyable. Most Passos are between 2100 and 2200 metres. Most start at about 1500 metres, a couple at 1100 metres. Typical grades are 7 or 8*, peaking up to 15*.

Having a ball riding everyday, stopping for a pasta for lunch in a roadside restauranta and then drinking way too much at night.

Now to be a little controversial. The Italian wymmens are nice but the French wymmens were way more classy, stylish and sexy. But crickey it is hard keeping up appearances with the Italian cyclists. They dress, match and have etiquette for everything. They all look like pros, some even ride like them too.

I can not believe how good the drivers are. They all leave room, wait to pass, never blast the horn. It is so different to Sydney, paradise.

A few more days and we off to the big stuff in the Ortlers, staying in Bormio.

Take care and keep the rubber side down.

Scott

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:43 am

Pictures required... :D

herzog

Postby herzog » Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:07 pm

Scott2468 wrote:Been in the Dolomites at Corvara for a week now.

The vistas are to die for, words can't describe it. Look at images and then double the impact.
Dunno if you recall the view as you rode through Passo Pordoi. You might have seen this chute through the cliffs above the road.

Me and a mate skiied that a few years back. It was our first day in the Dolomites, and we weren't even sure if it was in bounds. There were no other tracks that day. A great memory nonetheless.

Chris249

Postby Chris249 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:48 am

Thanks for the info, TLL and Lama; sorry for my slow reply.
Kestrel Talon road 2007
Como Vivente road 2009
Principia track track 2014
Cervelo P2K TT 2003
Merida CX4 2010
Concaeio road

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:07 am

Heading into the Dolomites for the next 2 weeks (from Sunday) hoping for good weather.

Sent from my iPhinger ...
2023 Target: 9.500kms/100,000m
My old blog - A bit of fun :)
"Riding, not racing...completing, not competing"

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:22 pm

You should be having good weather cyclotaur... Summer has sort of finally come :-) ... Been on latest tour for a few weeks ( two tours back to back ) and the weather has been fantastic... Not too hot and beautiful sunny days :-) . Even went up Ventoux with very little wind!... Hopefully have the same when I go up again in a couple of days. Missing descent coffee of course but the Wine is better ;-) .
Don't forget the photos!

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:33 pm

Well ... it was warmish (27c) yesterday here at Castelfranco, but a few showers about today as we begin to head north. Forecasts suggest some rain over the next two weeks but nothing major so should be good. Been here 2 days and just about recovered from the long flight over. Had a 70km easy ride up to Asolo yesterday to loosen up.

Could be an interesting time ahead - other guys on the trip seem pretty hard core to me !

Scott2468

Postby Scott2468 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:46 pm

Sad to say that my journey is coming to an end.

Now in Milan. Had a great day yesterday cycling around the city doing all the normal tourist stuff. Then went to San Siro and watched AC Milan beat Lazio 3-1. The crowd and atmosphere was mad.

TLL, thanks for the tip of riding Torri di Fraele. I have never ridden such short, flat switchbacks, they were a hoot. The photo of them from the top leaves Alpe du Huez for dead. Lago Cancano was nice. We even rode the 20km around then on the gravel.

My favourite ride in the Ortlers was probably the anti clockwise loop of Mortirolo and Gavia. After the effortless descent from Bormio to Mazzo di Valtellina, my challenge started. I had the mossy, shaded laneway up Mortirolo all to myself. At Pantani's monument, I finally saw two noisy Italian families enjoying their day out. They took my photo and Mamma wouldn't give my camera back till she got a kiss on both cheeks. We all loved it.

After plummeting down into Monno, I had an uneventfull 18km steady rise up to the base of Gavia. The weather was perfect giving huge majestic views over the massive gorges. As I rose the fog thickened. It was billowing up the valley, over the road and me. It gave a errie surreal feel to this place. Another reminder how quickly the weather can change and how unforgiving it can be.

As I reached to pass, I could see the clear skies and sun shine down to Santa Caterina. Bombed down the valley and back to Bormio. I considered to then struggle and claw my way up Stelvio but thought better of it. Too fatigued. Anyway, no regrets, another ride moved from the bucket list to the bragging list.

Scott2468

Postby Scott2468 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:49 pm

cyclotaur wrote:
Could be an interesting time ahead - other guys on the trip seem pretty hard core to me !
Just get out there and have a go. You will have a blast.

Good luck and stay safe.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:11 am

Doing the Stelvio after that loop would make a rather big day! :lol: . I didn't have enough daylight to go exploring around the lakes at the top of Torri di Fraele ... post some pics when you have a chance.

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:25 am

Tuesday ride Marostica-Enego-Asiago-Levico Terme. 115k/2064m.

We are in L-T for 2 nights now. There is a huge loop ride on tomorrow , but I'll probably do a smaller loop. Next two days are straight forward up to Balzano for Friday/Saturday and then it gets interesting ....;)

Today's final descent was ridiculous but no pics !! Very steep and twisty, tunnels overhangs and single lane at times !
ImageImage

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:58 am

Have survived to Corvara - Sella Ronda loop tomorrow, weather has been great the last few days.ImageImageImage

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:22 pm

Rode Sella Ronda on Tuesday and wasn't a hard ride per se (albeit 4 major passes and dozens of switchbacks) but the most dramatic views and landscape, compared to what we are used to in Oz. A few pics ...
ImageImageImageImage

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:29 pm

Yeah really is a stunning loop :-)

Scott2468

Postby Scott2468 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:08 am

Yes, a great loop.

There are many great loops. One of my favourites was over Fedaia, down to Canazei, looping around clockwise. Those last few kms and switchbacks on the new road are crazy. Then the views from the top and past the lake are to die for, not to mention the sweeping 20km descent!

Another dont miss is the Erbe. Go down the road 15 or 16km to Badia and then enjoy the climb. Stunning views up through quiet villages. Unforgettable!

Cyclotaur, are you on a set tour or do you have some flexibilty? Looks like you are getting great weather. Enjoy.

TTL, hopefully I will get a bit of time this weekend to do something with my photos. I will post a couple of Lake Cancano.

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:14 am

It's a set tour - we are a small group now down to 6 riders, a leader and the driver, with the departure of two guys who had to be back in USA by this weekend. We've had two nights in Cortina and ride out to Feltre tomorrow over Passo Giau and then back to Castelfranco on Saturday to finish the 14 days. There have been daily adjustments/options to the itinerary depending on consensus and energy. For example the two departed riders have been generally doing longer a tougher rides. As it is I've covered 665kms/13300m riding 10/12 days so far with the final two days to add 200+ Kms and another 2500m (at least). The weather has been fine the whole way, if a little chilly the last few days.

But the Dandenongs will never feel the same again .... :)

Scott2468

Postby Scott2468 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:31 am

cyclotaur wrote:It's a set tour - we are a small group now down to 6 riders, a leader and the driver, with the departure of two guys who had to be back in USA by this weekend. We've had two nights in Cortina and ride out to Feltre tomorrow over Passo Giau and then back to Castelfranco on Saturday to finish the 14 days. There have been daily adjustments/options to the itinerary depending on consensus and energy. For example the two departed riders have been generally doing longer a tougher rides. As it is I've covered 665kms/13300m riding 10/12 days so far with the final two days to add 200+ Kms and another 2500m (at least). The weather has been fine the whole way, if a little chilly the last few days.

But the Dandenongs will never feel the same again .... :)

It sounds like you are blessed with the weather. The day I rode over Giau from the Cortina side, it snowed about 4 inches. This was only 3 weeks ago.

I guess the Dandenongs will be a doddle. Not only you are doing the vertical metres but also at elevation.

TLL, here are a couple of images around Lago Cancano on the 20km gravel road.

You can see here, the gravel road is really good quality. No problem at all for a road bike.

There are some epic hairpins, all on dirt.

Beautiful scenery, nice and quiet, no cars or motorbikes. Another memorable day.

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:52 am

Thanks for the photos guys. Bellissima 8)

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:17 pm

Wow! Didn't realize it carried on with dirt switchbacks :-) ... It was already dark by the time I rolled back to Bormio... Next time I will definitely talk it up to my guests and get them up there... If it's always about "bucket lists" you sometimes miss the gems!.

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:28 pm

No snow for us over Giau or anywhere else.[GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES] We had some rain on the way down to Feltre in the afternoon, the only bad weather in two weeks. Bit it was cold at the top of Giau and I forgot to take any pics - waiting on some of the group to send me theirs...

Resting up with a few days in the Veneto before heading home on Wednesday. Image Image Image