How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

bychosis

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby bychosis » Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:03 pm

School hols means no dropping kids off, means no driving to work. Fixied it this morning, extended to the full sharepath this morning. 16.2km, 1.7km on road and 500m of busy road. It was cool at the start and could have gone with the long sleeves, but once out it was perfect. Lake was like glass, plenty of walkers and riders out enjoying the weather.

I also managed to catch a couple who were headed in the opposite direction when I joined the sharepath, giving them about 4km head start. I wasn't really trying to catch them, and they weren't racing but were moving at a fair speed on their hybrid/MTB style bikes (no CCR points). Took me about 12km to catch up.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:40 pm

a melbourne style commute this arvo
dry, cloud, then wet and windy, then dry again
just missing sunshine and hail

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:48 pm

Lovely day, warm and no wind, even along the beach. I do love not having to bash into the wind.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

TigerFilly

Postby TigerFilly » Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:18 pm

I walked the City to Bay yesterday with one of my daughters which left me feeling rather stiff this morning. I almost gave in and drove but was pleasantly surprised that cycling was fine. Which I suppose just goes to show walking uses different muscles from cycling. An old bloke sitting at the tram stop where I cross the line gave me a big thumbs up and called out good on you for riding. That was kind of nice!

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:20 am

hit 10k for the year commuting this morning

cowled

Postby cowled » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:58 am

jasonc wrote:hit 10k for the year commuting this morning
10km !!

:wink:
Image 2015 Goal: 2,500km

kb

Postby kb » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:05 am

Head cold from nowhere last night. Staring out the window at the gorgeous weather :-(

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:10 am

cowled wrote:
jasonc wrote:hit 10k for the year commuting this morning
10km !!

:wink:
you know what I mean.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:13 am

Jason it would sound more impressive if you said 10 million meters. :D

Another day another moron with an overdeveloped sense of entitlement who jumps on the horn because he is too important to wait 5 seconds while I ride to the first available access point. :roll:

Lost my zen this time & said some rude words to him.
Anything you can do, I can do slower

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:03 am

find_bruce wrote:Lost my zen this time & said some rude words to him.
It happens.

Last night was all about the smells on the ride home. I was hungry, so the smells were extra.... smelly... :P

Pungent smell of horse and horse poo (carriage horses), wood smoke (who is burning wood on a warm night???), donuts (mmmm, donuts), hops (not a fan of the brewery smell) and then sausage rolls/sweat. To me sausage rolls (well, some anyway) smell a bit like sweat so I sort of associate the two.

Glorious morning this morning. Lots of cyclists around. It was fun watching the cyclist in Salvos kit making all the hand signals pointing out the dangers/obstacles as he went past them. I was wondering who he was signalling to. He was either practicing or just being polite. It was nice. :)
Last edited by Summernight on Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:08 am

Summernight wrote:hops (not a fan of the brewery smell)
the smell of hops, depending on wind direction can be quite unpleasant on my commute home when downwind from the XXXX brewery

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:50 am

Up early this morning so extended my commute for some time in glenrock off the road. Started out a bit chilly, but warmed up nicely. Plenty of bird life today too, including a duck that was waddling up the single track, took off and repeated and also one of the black and white bombers. Fortunately the bomber only took one warning shot, I saw his shadow approaching and did the frantic arm wave whilst going around 30km/h and he gave up.

Legs know they've been worked today.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:34 pm

God help me, new job next week, 26kms each way. Been 12 months since I rode that much every day :shock:

cowled

Postby cowled » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:43 pm

Xplora wrote:God help me, new job next week, 26kms each way. Been 12 months since I rode that much every day :shock:
You'll get used to it quite quickly. But I doubt you'll be partying on a Friday night. :D
Image 2015 Goal: 2,500km

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:55 pm

jasonc wrote:the smell of hops, depending on wind direction can be quite unpleasant on my commute home when downwind from the XXXX brewery
XXXX - not surprising!
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:35 pm

Yee hah! First ride back in Oz today. Great conditions, good distance.

I reassembled the unicycle immediately I got home from the airport. this morning I headed out earlyish (well, sorta not late anyway) to Perth. Contrary to the weather forecast the conditions were great. After I got to Perth an had my coffee, dropped in to work and converted my remaining Euros I continued North to visit my sis in Mt Lawley.

It was nice to ride somewhere not excessively steep and without cobble stones or sub-standard roads and paths (we really do do thing better here than in most of elsewhere). All up it was mid 40kms but it was so much better to be on good level paving.

I'm looking forward to much more of the same again.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:45 pm

Nice day for a ride in Melbourne today but discovered I had a broken spoke. I suspect I broke it a while ago and hadn't noticed. All fixed now and at least is is a few months since the last broken spoke. Such is life, a good hour tonight to fix it and make sure the wheel is true and the spokes evenly tensioned.

Colin, you're back, wonder if I can stay in front of you until the end of the year?

DS

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:57 pm

DavidS wrote:Nice day for a ride in Melbourne today but discovered I had a broken spoke. I suspect I broke it a while ago and hadn't noticed. All fixed now and at least is is a few months since the last broken spoke. Such is life, a good hour tonight to fix it and make sure the wheel is true and the spokes evenly tensioned.

Colin, you're back, wonder if I can stay in front of you until the end of the year?

DS
Don't rely too much on the signature lines, I haven't posted since before I left. :mrgreen: Without looking at my log I think (hope?) you may have a teeny disappointment. I did reasonable bit of riding in the first four weeks.

I'll try and catch up with it all in the next few days. I get to Melbourne every two years or so. Perhaps a coffee for the winner?
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:31 am

What are those two blinding white lumpy things??? Oh yes, hello legs. Nice to see you again after all these months. :P

Warm ride home and in this morning. Lovely.

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:27 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote:
DavidS wrote:Nice day for a ride in Melbourne today but discovered I had a broken spoke. I suspect I broke it a while ago and hadn't noticed. All fixed now and at least is is a few months since the last broken spoke. Such is life, a good hour tonight to fix it and make sure the wheel is true and the spokes evenly tensioned.

DS
Don't rely too much on the signature lines, I haven't posted since before I left. :mrgreen: Without looking at my log I think (hope?) you may have a teeny disappointment. I did reasonable bit of riding in the first four weeks.

I'll try and catch up with it all in the next few days. I get to Melbourne every two years or so. Perhaps a coffee for the winner?
Hmm, I'm looking at your total on Bike Journal. I know I have to get a long way in front of you because you upload in bulk. Still, I live in hope.

Summer, you haven't seen your legs? Geez, it's shorts all year round for me, never really too cold for shorts in Melbourne.

DS

Drizt

Postby Drizt » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:42 pm

Never too cold in Melbourne? Think you might have an illness keeping you warm.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:39 am

DavidS wrote:Summer, you haven't seen your legs? Geez, it's shorts all year round for me, never really too cold for shorts in Melbourne.
Nope, hadn't seen them for a few months. Which I think everyone else around me probably appreciated too, what with the blinding white pasty look and all. :lol:

ERMAGERD!!!! It's rain! Which means all the motorists seems to forget how to drive. Bleck.

Got honked this morning because I lined up like a car at a traffic light to go straight ahead, instead of slinking into the left turning lane and the stupidly placed bike box (after which I would have had to merge back into the lane I was already in once the lights changed - possibly including pushing back in front of this lady motorist, which she wouldn't have liked either).

Speaking of rain - who was it that cleaned their bike last night and therefore summoned the deluge? Not that there was too much of a deluge on the ride in, just constant rain. :P

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:47 am

I rode sans arm warmers this morning

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:43 pm

This morning the sky looked ominous, the radar teased me with an incoming rain band that didn't eventuate while I ate breakfast. I decided to ride, and the next incoming rain band did eventuate, just as I was grabbing my gear to go. I thumbed my nose at the intensity of the rain band, suited up and rode off. Must've scared the rain away as it didn't amount to anything like what the computer told me was to happen, just a few drops. I got more wet from sweating inside the rain jacket.
Leaving in 20min to get home in a similar situation. Bet I won't be lucky twice in a row.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:59 pm

left before the storm hit this arvo. by what i'm seeing and hearing, good decision