Beverley Heroic

hiflange

Re: Beverley Heroic

Postby hiflange » Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:37 pm

FAQs on the Beverly Heroic site have been updated thanx to questions asked by dv.
My fitness for the 100 miler has been updated, but only by a couple of degrees. Work and family (both old and young) pressures have conspired to keep me off two wheels these past couple of months. I AM KEEPING MY OPTIONS OPEN< I MAY YET PIKE AND DO THE BLIMMIN 50!!!
I've swapped the original Brooks saddle on my '55 Rotrax for a modern Brooks Professional (bought on the BNA marketplace, yay), as the half century old Brooks leather was quite soft. I suspect it has been neatsfooted in recent times. (Probably immediatlley prior to me purchasing the bike!).

landyacht

Postby landyacht » Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:07 pm

nothing to be ashamed of in doing a 50mile ride in the country in spring.
we're gravel tesing the tandem on gravel this sunday, quick 27km road race with 7kms of gravel at the finish line :D

hiflange

Postby hiflange » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:58 am

Registrations close tomorrow :D

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:51 am

Have fun those who manage to make it to this one.
My new job will see me away. On the plus side, I will be able to afford some parts again.
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

landyacht

Postby landyacht » Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:36 pm

all packed for the road. 1 prolite 650 for warmup rides :D etc, 1 1914 3 speed tribute bike :D :D ,1 superelloit frame to ship :o , 1 tandem with sexy deepdish alloy pizza rims and 10speed brifters :D :D :D
hit the road before the sun and get a half day in beverley/york

Clydesdale Scot

Postby Clydesdale Scot » Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:10 am

landyacht wrote:all packed for the road.
did you pack the camera?

hiflange

Postby hiflange » Sat Oct 04, 2014 2:54 pm

landyacht wrote:all packed for the road. 1 prolite 650 for warmup rides :D etc, 1 1914 3 speed tribute bike :D :D ,1 superelloit frame to ship :o , 1 tandem with sexy deepdish alloy pizza rims and 10speed brifters :D :D :D
hit the road before the sun and get a half day in beverley/york
i know the ride organiser is looking for display bikes for the finish, make yourself known to Toby if you're interested in helping him out with that.
We're on our way in from the Stirlings now, looking forward to checking out the pre race scene, maybe see you there

hiflange

Postby hiflange » Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:44 pm

Awesome day out. Despite some pretty bleak weather there were smiles all around at the finish line. This pic is pretty near the start, rider on the green bike at the front is landyacht. I'll leave him to tell why he wasn't on his tandem. I rode the York to Beverley section with dv who did the ride on a 1946(?) single speed Speedwell. Both he and Max Brinkworth walked away with well deserved trophies.

dv

Postby dv » Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:16 pm

Slow reply - I have only just recovered.
A great day out - despite and stupidly - partly because of - the awful weather (It was the Heroic after all)
I was told the Speedwell nudges into 50s. The diversion from original was the long stem and seat post as I did not fancy doing yoga all the way..plus the long spoke nipples on the back wheel (I could not get the right sized spokes in time)...and the plastic bag and bottle cage. Looks odd but it was remarkably comfortable (all things considered). It even has the original bearings and hubs and BB which unlike the patina (?) on the bike were all buttery smooth.

If it all got too hard there was always the dumpster at the half way mark in York (for us wimps doing the 50 miler). I wondered if this location was selected on purpose!

I'll sign up for next year if it's on again.

landyacht

Postby landyacht » Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:23 am

just got back from Beverley, via SW and midland speeddome
absolutely fantastic day out, barely remember the rain , excpt for one descent which involved some aquaplaning and also the deadly beverley railcrossing that spat me out :o
the tandem got abandoned after copping 3 blowouts the day before trying to tune the gears. I ran out of tubes , so abandoned the tandem and bolted all my bits to the "replica" my stoker rode her 650c roadbike .
fantastic amounts of gravel , clay that simply sucked your tyres, sheep trucks spraying with wee, headwinds up hills. then we got to york!!!! :D
the cross tail wind home was massive which really helped on the huge uphills and the steep downs. the only flat run was the final 5 kms into beverley, and it felt like a reward for all the work.
the replica performed admirably, later in the ride i was getting uphill in 2nd gear,
it cant have been 2hard as my daughter went off with all the kids for the 5km town discovery ride an hour later :D
pics tomorrow when i not so busy.
Top work toby and crew,would love to do it all again

landyacht

Postby landyacht » Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:24 pm

a dumpster rescued cinelli ,
tasty little rotrax
unknown rebirthed 27"
stunning Hillborne with cork grips
a B homer hilsen now i know what one is :D was the partner of the hillborne
15 year old member Maxx said he was going to ride this 30's 2 star and did. buggered if i know how he got up some of those hills , but he beat us home. 10 points from me
my 1914 "tribute" ,the Davyhurst special. feels rather nice knowing that my brazing held up , as did the 40 year old sturmey.
at the finish, minor blood from being spat from wet railwaytracks. we wore club kit so we could claim race points back at our club. the 2 points gave charlotte 3rd place for her first season :D
after this event charlotte got in 2 days at the speeddome on wooden track bikes, so we couldnt pass up on this photo op in cunderdin

Max Brinkworth

Postby Max Brinkworth » Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:10 pm

Here is some pictures from the day :) . http://s1029.photobucket.com/user/max_b ... y%20Horoic" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

landyacht

Postby landyacht » Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:42 pm

these ladies riding the perkins tandaem deserve a special mention, they powered on through that woeful sticky clay like troopers, in a really low cadence.
we lost them about 3/4 of the way through the dirt section but they rolled into beverley about 40 mins after the presentation. we stopped on the roadside and cheered , and they looked so happy to be entering town. top effort ladies

hiflange

Postby hiflange » Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:51 pm

The yellow Rotrax in lanyacht's post is mine - dates from 1955. Compared to his 3 speed I had a luxurious 10 speed ride. :D

The pair of Rivendell's were beautiful. I've seen them on the Giro d'Perth as well.
The cobbled together display of bikes in the town hall was great. Some immaculate Italian jobs from Cameron Smith and some unrestored WA beauties from a local collector.

Thanx Max for your pics, I particularly like the 3 star Coronation. I have no idea whose it was..