handlebar bag

V17L

handlebar bag

Postby V17L » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:24 pm

Hi
I have been looking at getting a handlebar bag, which can double for commuting and use on a tour. I have been eyeing off the Ortlieb range of 5 and 6 plus bags. Couple of questions though.

I have been scratching my head on how they fit onto the bike, and do I need to buy an adaptor at the same time. Is some one able to take a photo of their fitment, so it can help me out.

Also, what is the most common size to use, is better to have a smaller bag and carefully pack or the medium or large bag. Is there any tricks for steering.
cheers
steve
Giant Defy 1

RonK

Re: handlebar bag

Postby RonK » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:54 pm

I have a medium, which seems about right - fits nicely between the bars. I would not want a bigger one, or a smaller one.
Of course a mounting bracket is included. However some don't like the Ortlieb attachment method which uses a plastic coated wire wrapped around the bar, and prefer to use the Rixen Kaul Klikfix bracket. I use one with an extender.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Cheesewheel

Postby Cheesewheel » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:25 pm

V17L wrote:Hi
I have been looking at getting a handlebar bag, which can double for commuting and use on a tour. I have been eyeing off the Ortlieb range of 5 and 6 plus bags. Couple of questions though.

I have been scratching my head on how they fit onto the bike, and do I need to buy an adaptor at the same time. Is some one able to take a photo of their fitment, so it can help me out.

Also, what is the most common size to use, is better to have a smaller bag and carefully pack or the medium or large bag. Is there any tricks for steering.
cheers
steve
I have got an ortlieb 5 and also a slightly smaller Topeak TourGuide Handlebar Bag.

Both come with all the necessary adapters (which is pretty much the standard for any handlebar bag I imagine).

From memory they (or at least the ortlieb) has a weight limit of 5kg. You can barely notice any difference to handling or performance (unless you do some real tricky communting/touring manouvers)

As for mounting, both of these are threaded on with a small wire cable that is bolted secure.

The ortlieb is hardy and thoroughly water proof, but a bit of a hassle to clip the lid shut (it is secured by two metal clips).

I got the smaller topeak one since it has zips and a map case (and was suitably sized for small road trips).

The only thing that mounting a handlebar will do is maybe mess up your real estate space on the handlebar - so things like a bar mounted light might have to be juggled around to some other location)

There is a pretty good shot of the mounting at the bottom of this page

http://www.cyclefar.com/145/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(you can see the black coated wire cable that is sheathed around the bars)
Go!Run!GAH!

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:55 pm

After advice here I too went with the rixon and kaul adapter and have never regretted it.
I also bought an accessory (again R&K) which slots into the adapter and mounts my GPS with room for something else
Pretty sure my bag is the Ortlieb Ultimate 5.
The lid opens towards the front if that makes sense. So away from you, instead of towards you.
It came with an insert for a camera and lenses and a shoulder strap.
I think from memory the Rixon and Kaul adapter was better at not slipping which was the reason it was recommended
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

V17L

Postby V17L » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:02 pm

thanks guys, now i can see how it is done. I had trouble imagining it.

Its really great that people take time out to help with queries, it is really appreciated.
cheers
steve
Giant Defy 1

thecaptn

Postby thecaptn » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:29 pm

I have an ortlieb 5 on my tourer which is great. I'd like a bar bag for my road bike to carry arm warmers/rain coat on cold days but I don't want a bracket permenantly fitted to the bars, does anyone know of a bar bag which doesn't require the addition of a bracket?

Thanks Pete

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:32 pm

Another Ortlieb 5 Classic user here. I thought I had a medium but I notice that Ortlieb only list a large so maybe I have a large. I have the Ortlieb mount on one bike and the aforementioned Rixen & Kaul Kickfix adaptor on my mountain bike. I do prefer the Rixen & Kaul adaptor which has shown to be a solid mount so far.

Andrew
Andrew

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:35 pm

V17L wrote:thanks guys, now i can see how it is done. I had trouble imagining it.

Its really great that people take time out to help with queries, it is really appreciated.
cheers
steve
I'd advise that you put rub a candle on the press studs - they can be quite tight when new, and some heavy-handed users have been known to tear them out. I also have the map case which clips on the top - it's great when touring, and I've become quite adept at re-folding maps so the right section is displayed.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

thecaptn

Postby thecaptn » Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:11 pm

thecaptn wrote:I have an ortlieb 5 on my tourer which is great. I'd like a bar bag for my road bike to carry arm warmers/rain coat on cold days but I don't want a bracket permenantly fitted to the bars, does anyone know of a bar bag which doesn't require the addition of a bracket?

Thanks Pete
Sorry Steve,
Didn't mean to hijack your thread :oops:

elStado

Postby elStado » Fri May 17, 2013 12:20 am

Cheesewheel wrote:The ortlieb is hardy and thoroughly water proof, but a bit of a hassle to clip the lid shut (it is secured by two metal clips).
Both my clips fell out from the bag after only two weeks on the road! They are attached to the bag frame using pathetic looking plastic rivets. Had to send the whole bag back to the UK for a replacement.

Now have the replacement it sitting in the original box. Not sure if I'll keep it or flog it considering I probably won't be doing much touring any more (knees can't handle it unfortunately).
Check out my practical cycling and cycle touring website: VELOPHILE AUSTRALIA

flippant

Postby flippant » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:20 pm

I recently bought the R&K Klickfix adapter for my handlebars.

My handlebars are Grand Bois Randonneurs with a 25.4mm clamp. The Klickfix adapter clamps state they're good for 22-26mm diameters (and I've checked I have the correct pack), however I can't screw mine in tight enough to where it will actually stay put. With the weight bearing cable installed, it will ride up until the tension is out of the cable.

The clamps themselves are relatively snug when I put them on the handlebars, but when I thread them onto the adapter itself, they straighten out and become far too large.

Any ideas?

Uncle Just

Postby Uncle Just » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:41 pm

Set up the clamps at an angle initially and make sure the wire over the bars is pulled as tight as can be so when the bag is fitted it is still at a slight upward angle. For securing the clamps try and wrap some electrical or duct tape tightly around the bars.

flippant

Postby flippant » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:51 pm

The problem is that they're more than a little loose—there's a limit to how much duct tape should be needed before the assembly itself is questioned. Here's a video: http://youtu.be/f0iA0dLSnn8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Uncle Just

Postby Uncle Just » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:20 pm

Ok I've just been out to the shed and checked mine. They do rotate sans bag but not as easily as yours as depicted in the vid. I have 31.8 FSA bars with a matt black surface. Yours are polished silver.

I found this on their site.."If your handlebar adapter is mounted correctly, it can carry loads up to 7 Kg without twisting. Make sure you fix the patented security cable correctly under your stem as shown in the instruction manual. Only this cable carries the load. The 4 clamp-screws have no supporting function and should only be fastened to average tightness."

So from this they are meant to have some give. Is yours beyond this? Possibly from the vid, but with the bag on and with a load is it secure? That's what matters not the handlebar clamp tightness. The cable pulled through, tightened and with the bag affixed with some weight inside will or should keep the bag steady. If this doesn't work go back and do the whole thing again. If it still ain't working then, over to someone else for ideas.

flippant

Postby flippant » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:37 pm

Thank you for the help, Uncle Just!

I checked their diameter at 26mm, and my own bars at ~25.4mm. I wrapped duct tape around my handlebars (about 6 rounds) and now there's a small amount of give, but they stay put unless moved. I think my screws are too short: even when I fastened the screws without attaching the adapter to anything, the clamps were still loose, and could be pushed in and out around ~3mm without problem. Oh well. As my handlebar bag is still in transit with the rest of my stuff, there's no way to tell if it'll sag under load, but with the tension of the cable, I'd think not. Besides, I don't overload it anyway.

I got the R&K because of the extender option. My handlebars are quite narrow, so I wouldn'tve been able to fit my iPhone case on either side. Enter the R&K adapter.

ImageImage

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:05 am

Any recommendations for a small handle bar bag with a place for a map on top?.
Only has to hold a first aid kit and a few things for day trips. Map is important though.

clackers

Postby clackers » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:32 am

Trying the Topeak bag out this weekend. Came with a couple of different sized grips so it can go on my ergo bars. The map holder is nice for the future, perhaps.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:29 pm

flippant wrote:Thank you for the help, Uncle Just!

I checked their diameter at 26mm, and my own bars at ~25.4mm. I wrapped duct tape around my handlebars (about 6 rounds) and now there's a small amount of give, but they stay put unless moved. I think my screws are too short: even when I fastened the screws without attaching the adapter to anything, the clamps were still loose, and could be pushed in and out around ~3mm without problem. Oh well. As my handlebar bag is still in transit with the rest of my stuff, there's no way to tell if it'll sag under load, but with the tension of the cable, I'd think not. Besides, I don't overload it anyway.

I got the R&K because of the extender option. My handlebars are quite narrow, so I wouldn'tve been able to fit my iPhone case on either side. Enter the R&K adapter.
Flippant I think you've been holding out on us.
More pics of that lovely steed please.
Is that I Gilles Berthoud shifter I see?

snafuspyramid

Postby snafuspyramid » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:42 am

I've been trying out the newer Ortlieb 6 version. As far as I know it differs only from the 5 in that the lid attaches via magnets rather than press-studs, which hopefully will solve the problems mentioned here about stiff or poorly attached studs. It only exists in a medium size, having superseded the 5 in that size only

Phil

Postby Phil » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:48 pm

Yeah I have the 6, the magnetic closure works well. Easy to use and quite secure.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:50 pm

flippant wrote:I checked their diameter at 26mm, and my own bars at ~25.4mm. I wrapped duct tape around my handlebars (about 6 rounds) and now there's a small amount of give, but they stay put unless moved. I think my screws are too short: even when I fastened the screws without attaching the adapter to anything, the clamps were still loose, and could be pushed in and out around ~3mm without problem. Oh well. As my handlebar bag is still in transit with the rest of my stuff, there's no way to tell if it'll sag under load, but with the tension of the cable, I'd think not. Besides, I don't overload it anyway.
Something is not quite right here. I've just been out and checked my Klickfix mounts (several) and they are on bars that range from 25.4 down to 22.2 on the MTB tourer. On none of these bikes do the mounts move or slip, especially like your video-clip shows. Never needed to use any duct-tape either. Could you perchance have specced a bracket in the larger Klickfix size, the one suited for bars up to 31.8??

Either that, or you just need to do 'em up tighter :idea:

You need the standard clips, suited for 22.2-25.4mm bars.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:06 pm

For anyone having cabling issues with their handlebar bag utilising drop bars, I just saw a pic of someone using V-brake noodles to assist getting their cabling better situated on the mtbr.com forums.
http://forums.mtbr.com/attachments/bike ... ag0435.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I wondered if the idea might be useful to someone on here

chillimagnum

Postby chillimagnum » Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:51 am

Looking for a bar bag but wanted to check if there might be problems running a fork crown mounted light (the bag blocking the light). Any updated suggestions on bags of size medium or small that could work on drop bars? Thanks.

Cheesewheel

Postby Cheesewheel » Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:23 am

chillimagnum wrote:Looking for a bar bag but wanted to check if there might be problems running a fork crown mounted light (the bag blocking the light). Any updated suggestions on bags of size medium drop bars? Thanks.
I got around this issue by mounting the lights underneath the bag (drilled four little holes in a reinforced patch on the underside and cable tied a small length of black 25mm plumbing pipe to act as a mount) . Offers the best best position for a light since the beam is not obstructed by anything. Also enables you to remove the whole bag and light and battery as one unit when you have to duck into the shops or some other scenario where you are worried about the accessories being pinched ...... and also enables you to dip the lights quickly and momentarily simply by pushing down on the handlebar bag.

The only thing to be wary of is if the light has technical issues with being mounted upside down. I know there are some dynamo lights that have issues with moisture if mounted upside down.... but most other top end models should be ok.

another option if you have a long fork stem with a ton of spacers and a cycling ethic that values pragmatism over aesthetics is to take out the spacers and replace them with a second handlebar stem mounted with the same plumbing pipe. You can use this exclusively for mountingthe handlebar bag while leaving the conventional handlebar real estate completely free for garmins lights etc or even a handlebar roll if you are seeking more of a bike packing set up
Go!Run!GAH!

chillimagnum

Postby chillimagnum » Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:39 pm

Thanks Cheesewheel

option 1 sounds good except for the upside down light issue
option 2 might be the way to go