Bike Maintenance

sogood

Postby sogood » Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:30 am

mikesbytes wrote:When I first started commuting, work was a long way away.
I know what you mean, especially when one is not confident of how to manage a flat.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Apr 11, 2007 5:13 pm

mikesbytes wrote:I'm currently using SRAM on the OCR and Shimano on the Beast and previously I've used Connex on the OCR.
- Shimano is the hardest to use as you need to bend the chain to get it off.
- Connex is the easiest to get off
- SRAM is also easy, but needs a light press from plyers.

Its so easy to get the chain off, with Connex or SRAM that I take it off to clean it, rather than use a chain cleaning device.

Take the chain off on a clean surface as if you drop half a link on the ground it can be a bugger to find.
After thinking a bit (sorry to dig up an old thread) and reading some advice from another cyclist, I think the future for me will be to install a link, and remove the cahin for effective cleaning and lubing. The advantages are that it can be properly lubed, and the gears/derailluers can be cleaned better for a more effective clean.

This is a common method on motor bike chains of the past prior to the introduction of o-ring chains.

Me thinks the method will be to remove chain, thouroughly wash in diesel fuel, darin, dry, and then relube by hanging the chain and applying lube at the top letting gravity work, muck about a bit, refit everything and wipe off any excess.

Any thoughts ?

It seems like the SRAM link is the best to use - what should I be paying for one ?

Cheers

Michael B

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Apr 11, 2007 5:43 pm

MichaelB wrote:
mikesbytes wrote:I'm currently using SRAM on the OCR and Shimano on the Beast and previously I've used Connex on the OCR.
- Shimano is the hardest to use as you need to bend the chain to get it off.
- Connex is the easiest to get off
- SRAM is also easy, but needs a light press from plyers.

Its so easy to get the chain off, with Connex or SRAM that I take it off to clean it, rather than use a chain cleaning device.

Take the chain off on a clean surface as if you drop half a link on the ground it can be a bugger to find.
After thinking a bit (sorry to dig up an old thread) and reading some advice from another cyclist, I think the future for me will be to install a link, and remove the cahin for effective cleaning and lubing. The advantages are that it can be properly lubed, and the gears/derailluers can be cleaned better for a more effective clean.

This is a common method on motor bike chains of the past prior to the introduction of o-ring chains.

Me thinks the method will be to remove chain, thouroughly wash in diesel fuel, darin, dry, and then relube by hanging the chain and applying lube at the top letting gravity work, muck about a bit, refit everything and wipe off any excess.

Any thoughts ?

It seems like the SRAM link is the best to use - what should I be paying for one ?

Cheers

Michael B
I remove my chain for cleaning and put the chain in a container with kero and hang it up to drain, while I wash the rest of the bike. So similar to what you are suggesting.

Burn plenty of Glycogen
Frame Size Calculator.....Park Tools Repair Guides
ImageImageImage
training log
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

sogood

Postby sogood » Wed Apr 11, 2007 5:52 pm

MichaelB wrote:It seems like the SRAM link is the best to use - what should I be paying for one ?
Sounds like a well tested plan although kerosine is typically used. I am not aware that diesel is good for the purpose. As for the link, I would suggest that you look into a Wippermann Connex link.

http://www.connexchain.com/

Their system seemed to receive very good reviews on the net. When I was going to go this route earlier this year, I had a quote for $19 for a set.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

MJF

Postby MJF » Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:06 pm

SRAM powerlinks are ~ $5. I bought three from phantom for $23 including postage (decided to have some spares - they'll get used eventually, and postage was $8!).

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:55 pm

I use Mikes method and SRAM link too, but I use a BBB cleaner on a homemade rig as well. Kero works great but make sure the chain is really dry before lubing.

Shaun

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:31 am

Thanks for the feedback guys. Get paid this week, so will look for a chain tool and links and set about giving the bike a proper clean.

The connex chain link looks interesting !! Thanks sogood for the link

I guess the chain needs to be hung for a few hours then at least or overnight.

Will see what I can do this weekend or next !!

Cheers

Michael B