Post your M7 experiences

robalert

Post your M7 experiences

Postby robalert » Mon May 08, 2006 11:32 pm

I've yet to go

Anytime soon tho

Has anyone been on "the best cycleway" in Sydney???

Impressions?

matagi

Postby matagi » Thu May 11, 2006 4:00 pm

Haven't been yet, planning a trip soon. I keep checking it out as I drive past on my regular trips to Canberra.

Have heard rumours (unsubstantiated at this point) that there is a big problem with debris on the path, ie. broken glass, etc. especially around the suburban entry points. It is supposed to be ok in the semi-rural areas, however.

Mr888

Postby Mr888 » Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:58 pm

Hi Guys
I've done this ride many times from Casula to Norwest and back. The dedicated bike track is safe and fun, but is bumpy in sections and there are many hill climbs. Everytime there is an off ramp for the cars, the bike trail will either climb over it or under it in a very meandring way. Its good for short trips but if you're looking for a straight run, ride on the M7 motor way itself. It's flat and fast, though the smog might make you cough a bit. Be extra careful at car exit lanes - off ramps. I've been almost collected many times when idiot drivers try to exit from the right lanes
Give it a go...I might even see you

timbo

Postby timbo » Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:50 pm

I rode the M7 cycleway from the M5 to the M4 and back again on the weekend and I can say that while it is a bit bumpy (repairs etc) and there are a few ups and downs, it is clean of any debris such as broken glass or bits of truck tyres etc. which means minimal chance of punctures etc. This cannot be said for the M7 tollway itself, as I know of a few people who have punctured from debris. Mind you this is typical of any motorway breakdown lane as people throw beer bottles etc out the window of their car as they go along. It is a good hassle free ride and so far no swooping magpies to report of.

ginger ninja

Postby ginger ninja » Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:17 pm

hi i have just moved out from the UK and am in sydney - I have heard rumors of this M7! where is it etc.???? (dumb question I know!)

andy

sogood

Postby sogood » Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:59 pm

ginger ninja wrote:hi i have just moved out from the UK and am in sydney - I have heard rumors of this M7! where is it etc.???? (dumb question I know!)
To the west, in the Parramatta direction ie. A long way from you. Unless you have a car or a lot of time, it's probably not practical for you to get there.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:53 pm

ginger ninja wrote:hi i have just moved out from the UK and am in sydney - I have heard rumors of this M7! where is it etc.???? (dumb question I know!)

andy
You ride the M2 then the M7 then the M5 then home. Its a monster ride that some of the fast riders do once in a while.

RTA M7 bike map
http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/constructionm ... mphlet.pdf

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/M7-Ride

Local street directory
http://www.street-directory.com.au
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

Mr888

Postby Mr888 » Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:08 pm

mikesbytes wrote:
You ride the M2 then the M7 then the M5 then home. Its a monster ride that some of the fast riders do once in a while.
I've heard of this loop, although I'm not sure on how to you link from the M2 to the M5...through the city? Pacific highway? Harbour Bridge?

If I do do this, it will be at mid point of the M7 to the M2, (missing link) to the M5 back to the M7 and Home (or visa versa)...

Any suggestions?

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:55 pm

You can go Harbour Bridge, but I'd recommend using the Gladesville Bridge. The routes a bit complex, this is the way I would go: (from the M5)Bexley, Homer, Wardell rd,Euart,Floss,Crinan,Queen,Armstrong,Holden st (my street), Bland st, Ramsay, Alt, Waratah, Henley Marine Drive (iron cove bay), Renwick, Wrights, Drummone, gladesville bridge (foot path), ryde rd, pitwater rd

There must be a map up on Bikley.

ginger ninja

Postby ginger ninja » Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:54 pm

how long is that? i am looking for some good riding over the weekend!!!!

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:06 pm

Haven't done it, at a guess 120k

Mr888

Postby Mr888 » Fri Dec 22, 2006 3:57 pm

Riding from one end of the M7 and back is roughly 90km, so I'd guess it to be closer to the 200km mark.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:08 pm

I remember someone saying 4 1/2 hours, so perhaps its 160k ?

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Fri Dec 22, 2006 6:24 pm

Why don't one of you just RIDE it this weekend. Cripes, the tension is killing me :roll:

Richard

(I'm only half a glass into my first glass of red, honest - I'm in for a wacky Christmas at this rate :roll: )

robalert

Postby robalert » Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:15 pm

i think the closest station to the track would be mtdruitt station

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sat Jan 06, 2007 10:08 pm

europa wrote:Why don't one of you just RIDE it this weekend. Cripes, the tension is killing me :roll:

Richard

(I'm only half a glass into my first glass of red, honest - I'm in for a wacky Christmas at this rate :roll: )
My fellow club members has been discussing routes upto 240k for tomorrow, but we have concluded that we are all time poor on Saturday, so it will be the normal sunday ride.

http://test.dhbc.org.au/webboard/viewtopic.php?t=90

gururug

Postby gururug » Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:07 pm

I ride this path regularly.

Nice smooth straight ride on most areas.

The minor hills (if that) and over/underpasses break up the monotony of straight riding.

its about 40-50kms 1 way

about 80-90kms return.

Cons,

-Stinks near rooty hill / quakers hill often due to factories and sewage treatment.
-road is fallin apart on some (rare) areas (rushed)
-traffic fumes are [edit] sometimes does not seem to be as bad as i thought [edit] noticable (depending on the wind direction etc.) at peakish hrs

see;

http://www.westlinkm7.com.au/files/docu ... gional.pdf

for a map
Last edited by gururug on Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

gururug

Postby gururug » Sat Mar 03, 2007 6:31 pm

Well, anyone thinking of going on the m7 for the first time in the near future you may want to wait a little while.

Seems they have BLOCKED off several sections of the cycleway. The worst being around dean park heading west. There is a large detour sign (has been there a week or so, it hard to see at night (no warning 50m before just the sign behind a fence)) that throws you out onto the road, up another road and then no more signs!!!. Very frustrating.

Come on m7 operators, we are very happy with the facility but please repair the broken areas ASAP so we can continue to use the path.

Mr888

Postby Mr888 » Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:20 am

gururug wrote: Come on m7 operators, we are very happy with the facility but please repair the broken areas ASAP so we can continue to use the path.
You can always write them an email info (AT) westlinkm7.com.au. I received a free water bottle for my troubles :wink:

BTW there's no spaces before and after info. The address doesn't work when I write it correctly for some reason????

gururug

Postby gururug » Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:35 am

Now I know why the raod is blocked at Dean park.

There has been a land slide and half the cycleway has dissapeard with nothing but a 30m drop down to the motorway.

Seems like they rushed the mounds and didn't use enough compacting/reinforcement, this is why the road is cracking in many areas.

Seems that many cyclists are bypassing the signs and still using this section of the path.

M7 please fix for our convenience and our safety :roll:

EDIT, emailed them, they say we are working on it...........

No free bottle HA HA HA.......

giant1

Postby giant1 » Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:15 pm

I have ridden the M7 many times and found it great. I have not used it much this side christmas as I hooked up with a bunch who do regular rides Saturday and Sunday morning. I did notice that the pathway was giving way in some spots but not bad enough to not use it. I hope they get it fixed soon. I recommend it because it is safe and away from traffic. It does get a little crowded at spots near suburbia but generally you get a good run with little interuptions and plenty of hills and turns to mix it up. I was doing it on a mountain bike.

gururug

Postby gururug » Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:56 am

GREAT, now they have taken away the detour sign, parked a truck on the path, and left a .5mtr strip of mud to walk through.

I will be spending half the day cleaning the mud off my shoes/pedals.

The cycling gods have spoken!, I have been cristened. Last night I had a double whammie, it started raining and I got a flat shortly after (that mud). Good thing I had a spare tyre as I think it would have been very difficult to patch my tube when the rain is piffing down.

ENjoyed the rain though!

giant1

Postby giant1 » Wed Mar 07, 2007 7:16 pm

gururug wrote:GREAT, now they have taken away the detour sign, parked a truck on the path, and left a .5mtr strip of mud to walk through.

I will be spending half the day cleaning the mud off my shoes/pedals.

The cycling gods have spoken!, I have been cristened. Last night I had a double whammie, it started raining and I got a flat shortly after (that mud). Good thing I had a spare tyre as I think it would have been very difficult to patch my tube when the rain is piffing down.

ENjoyed the rain though!
Hi Gururug

How often do you get out on the M7? What sort of distance do you like to cover?

gururug

Postby gururug » Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:33 pm

I ride the m7 three to five afternoons a week.

I'm a newbie, so i've been building up my avg speed and distance.

I usually go from sevenhills end to the lighthorse return (36kms) averaging 26-27kms per hour. I clocked up 550kms last month on the m7 cycleway. Still a bit wary riding on roads.

I think this weekend I will try to go a bit further, maybe to prestons and see what it does to my average speed. Not sure what to focus on, further rides or faster rides. I guess this will largely be dictated by other lifstyle constraints but we'll see. When I jumped up from 21km ride to 36km, my average speed hardly changed, so I think i will be focussing on speed.

etz

Postby etz » Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:03 pm

I notice the path now continues on from where it ended in a fence about 40km from Prestons. I haven't had a chance to explore it yet but can anyone tell me how much further it goes?