Sleeping mats

il padrone

Re: Sleeping mats

Postby il padrone » Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:35 pm

Aushiker wrote:You are comparing apples to oranges here and as been pointed out before, they are not the same mats. How a Synmat 7 performs has zero relevance to a Synmat UL 7 because of the design and materials used. They are different mats.
I made the clear comment that the two have different warranties. I can only comment on the Synmat7 as that is all I have - but I regard the basic mat as similar enough to have a fair degree of comparabiltiy. I'll wager Exped still advise not to leave it fully-inflated in a tent during the day.

Aushiker wrote:As to the warranty, that is only good if you can easily swap the mat out ... if you are on tour that is not necessarily so easy; don't I know.
The warranty is what any warranty is.

Aushiker wrote:As to the "advice" that has nothing to do with the issue that is occurring here which is a design fault and/or a fault in the manufacturer of the mats so please lets stop trying to spin that rubbish. Heck trying to suggest that they are over inflated is on its own pretty laughable in itself.
Bejeebus! :o I was simply providing a couple of points of advice (from Exped's instructions) that many users may quite readily forget, in the enthusiasm of using the mat. You think over-inflation has nothing to do with a blown mat seam? I would beg to differ. Over-inflation is an issue that some people abuse.... just like some people over-torque various cycling components. I don't know what it is about this proposition that gets up your nose, but I regard knowledgable care of one's gear as an important aspect of its use. I do not know how polishbiker has treated his mat.

Sorry polishbiker if I have offended you, it was not my intent.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

grantw

Postby grantw » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:07 pm

That's the reality of lightweight gear. It doesn't always perform regardless of who makes it. I love my exped UL mat, it's light and small and comfy, but experience tells me it will fail sooner or later, all the other sleeping mats have :-) (except for the closed cell foam ones but that's the same as a failed air mattress)

polishbiker

Postby polishbiker » Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:30 pm

i dotn reclal inflating the mat to rock-hard
only used it for overnight sleeping so never left in my tent during the day
i dont think i mis-treated the mat
over the 3 months it wasntr even used daily which added much more to my disappointment as quite often i just sleep on the tents floor.

warranty is ok but as aushiker mentioned i was on a tour so couldnt just get it anywhere, got a cheaper and in my opinion much better mat from MEC in Toronto, very happy with it, no seams.

its difficult to offend me il padrone, no hard feelings : )

Warin

Postby Warin » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:58 am

grantw wrote:experience tells me it will fail sooner or later, all the other sleeping mats have :-) (except for the closed cell foam ones but that's the same as a failed air mattress)
The closed cell mats are denser than a failed air mattress, so will be somewhat better for insulation (and comfort). On motorized camping trips I use both - a thick closed cell mat that takes out the puncture points and an air mattress for comfort.

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:19 am

grantw wrote:That's the reality of lightweight gear. It doesn't always perform regardless of who makes it. I love my exped UL mat, it's light and small and comfy, but experience tells me it will fail sooner or later, all the other sleeping mats have :-) (except for the closed cell foam ones but that's the same as a failed air mattress)
Quite - we're talking about ultralight hiking gear, where a week's walk is a longish trip, and the main criteria is for portability over durability.

For extended touring where it'll be used daily for months on end it's a bit unrealistic to expect it to last.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Wingnut

Postby Wingnut » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:10 am

As I've mentioned before I use the Thermarest Solar foam mat, I know it's not quite as comfortable but it's light and I never have to worry about it going flat...

I love my Exped gear but the constant issues with their inflatable mats that I've seen on various forums has scared me off buying one...

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:23 am

Wingnut wrote:As I've mentioned before I use the Thermarest Solar foam mat, I know it's not quite as comfortable but it's light and I never have to worry about it going flat...
Is this the beast? :)

How well does it pack-down?

Andrew

Wingnut

Postby Wingnut » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:42 am

Hey Andrew,

That's the one, there are two versions. One folds, the other rolls up...I have the 2nd. Not the most compact but keeps the cold away.

Warin

Postby Warin » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:46 am

Aushiker wrote:How well does it pack-down?
Same size as the other closed cell foam mats. So about double the volume of the air mattress, but half the weight (thereabouts).

Lurkin

Postby Lurkin » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:08 pm

Ended up buying a couple of Katmandu mats and mountain design tent, all of which remain unused. Turns out credit card touring is the lightest way to travel... yeah massive cop out.

Came down to:-
- not really knowing where to tour to around Melbourne
- having to ride on roads without proper shoulders, bike lanes etc
- a cyclist being hit and killed in the area we were planning to test run the idea
- having a truck come past with a overhanging part at leg height, hanging 1- 1.5 feet out from the truck (would have cut my leg off) around the same time
- checking out a park to stop at in Kingslake at finding people in caravans with tinfoil hats.....
- we were out of cellphone range....

just seemed like a recipe for disaster.

- how do you lot stay safe?
- wheres good to tour to from Melbourne for a weekend ride?
- or further?

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:14 pm

Kurth Kiln in the Dandenongs (well, out the other side past Gembrook). Take the train to Belgrave to avoid all the suburbian morons, then take a few backroads to evade the hill-country tourist traffic. About 40-50 kms each day, with a return back to Lilydale rail station on the Warburton Trail. There are toilets and water at Kurth Kiln and it is usually pretty quiet; you may strike some horse-riders or orienteering goups, but otherwise all low-key. The camping area is about 7.5kms mostly downhill from Gembrook at the junction of Beenak Rd with Soldiers Road. Beware that you go across the creek and up Beenak Rd on the way out in the morning.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

shakes

Postby shakes » Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:20 pm

il padrone wrote:Kurth Kiln in the Dandenongs (well, out the other side past Gembrook). Take the train to Belgrave to avoid all the suburbian morons, then take a few backroads to evade the hill-country tourist traffic. About 40-50 kms each day, with a return back to Lilydale rail station on the Warburton Trail. There are toilets and water at Kurth Kiln and it is usually pretty quiet; you may strike some horse-riders or orienteering goups, but otherwise all low-key. The camping area is about 7.5kms mostly downhill from Gembrook at the junction of Beenak Rd with Soldiers Road. Beware that you go across the creek and up Beenak Rd on the way out in the morning.
There is a gravel grinder out there in a couple of weeks.

Lots of beautiful gravel roads and forest area's.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:40 pm

Therm-a-Rest have a new mattress out or coming, the EvoLite mattress...

The EvoLite has the lovely comfort of your air mattresses with the convenience of a self-inflating mattress. It uses a new kind of foam which is very light and can be very compressed and the mat design is alternating between foam and air. The result is a 5 cm thick mat that inflates on its own. It will be available in the three sizes S, R, and L, vary in weight from 330 g, 480 g & 650 g and will cost between 100€ and 140€. The R-Value is 2.1 and it’s made in Ireland!
Source: OutDoor News

Andrew

zebee

Postby zebee » Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:46 am

I have bought a Klymit Static V from Amazon (using their Amazon Global method) for $AU65 landed.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007RFG0NM/ref ... 00_TE_item" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's very light, packs up small, and is comfortable. It isn't insulated though, I wouldn't use it for cold weather but for cycle touring in spring/summer it will be fine.

You blow it up by mouth, and while the marketing says 3 or 4 breaths I suspect only the fittest swimmers could do that! Takes me about 20 breaths and it's hard work so I rigged a pump using a black rubbish bag and a 20mm internal diameter o ring[1]. Works like a charm and packs in the stuffsack the mat comes in.

The trick with it is not to inflate it rock hard but just enough that when you are lying down nothing touches the ground. Sitting down I was touching the ground, lying down I wasn't.

In truth it is not quite as comfortable as my Exped Downmat 7 as the V channel design takes getting used to but it's also about 1/3 the price and certainly comfortable enough to sleep on 3 or 4 nights running.

Zebee

[1] take O ring. Stuff one bottom corner of bag through ring, cut small bit of corner off, fold bag back over ring. Place ring over valve. open bag wide then close it at the open end so air is trapped. Squeeze air through valve. Shut valve while refilling bag. Takes two fills of one lightweight black bag.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:19 pm

If some one is interested in an Exped Downmat 7 medium one has popped up for sale at Bushwalk Australia. It is brand new and the seller is asking $150 for it.

Andrew

Wingnut

Postby Wingnut » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:14 pm

I love Exped gear but the previous issues with their sleeping mats has scared me off those particular items...

zebee

Postby zebee » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:29 pm

I have a downmat 7 and so far it is great! So much so that I have put off buying a new bed (the old one had to go) and am sleeping on it full time at home because it is so warm.

I think they must have had a glue issue, no idea if they fixed it or not... I'm not deflating and inflating this, just sleeping on it. 2 weeks so far being slept on every night and no problem.

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:49 pm

il padrone wrote:One for the ultra-light brigade :shock:

http://www.procamping.co.uk/klymit-iner ... eping-pad/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've just received mine today. It is tiny and very light!

I ended up buying the Recon version which uses the slightly heavier 75D Polyester on both the top and bottom compared to the regular X Frame pictured above that uses 30D Polyester for the top. Mine is quoted as weighing 285g versus the lighter version which saves 30g.

Will inflate and test at home tonight. 8)

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:03 am

Pumped up, I was skeptical the minimal Klymit X Frame mat would be comfortable. It is a lot thinner and smaller pumped up than what I expected! :shock:

After a 5 minute lie down on my side and back I could see myself being able to sleep, on the proviso that the ground underneath is billiard table smooth. Anything under the mat will be felt due to its thinness and the 'Loft Pocket Technology'...

Definitely felt like it was designed for someone around 6 foot like myself, anyone taller or shorter won't line up with the padded sections.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:46 pm

http://www.summitgear.com.au/exped-synm ... at-series/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A special here for the Exped Synmat 7 UL medium at $129.95

I spotted it on Ozbargain site:
https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/166305" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

kenwstr

Postby kenwstr » Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:04 pm

I just thought I'd add this little tip. if you put a space blanket directly under the matt, this will do pretty much the same function as the neoair matts. It won't do it as well but it does make a surprisingly huge difference. I have been toasty warm in a +10 bag during an early morning snow fall with such an arrangement. So actual temp definitly below zero. Mind you I did have a companion but this is definitly the most effective way to use a space blanket.

Ken

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:27 pm

kenwstr wrote:I just thought I'd add this little tip. if you put a space blanket directly under the matt, this will do pretty much the same function as the neoair matts. It won't do it as well but it does make a surprisingly huge difference. I have been toasty warm in a +10 bag during an early morning snow fall with such an arrangement. So actual temp definitly below zero. Mind you I did have a companion but this is definitly the most effective way to use a space blanket.

Ken
I use one as a ground sheet as recommended by Wazza :)
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

just4tehhalibut

Postby just4tehhalibut » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:29 am

And for those who engage in bikepacking this is a sleeping mat, the car sunshade.
Also has been used under a normal mat as an upgrade in insulation value.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:29 pm

just4tehhalibut wrote:And for those who engage in bikepacking this is a sleeping mat, the car sunshade.
Thanks for posting this as it gives me an idea as a protection layer for my Exped Synmat UL 7S.

Andrew

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:48 pm

Aushiker wrote:
just4tehhalibut wrote:And for those who engage in bikepacking this is a sleeping mat, the car sunshade.
Thanks for posting this as it gives me an idea as a protection layer for my Exped Synmat UL 7S.

Andrew
Andrew if your after a layer of protection I think you would be beter of with the real deal plus your able to use for other situations. I have one and personally I think it holds up to not only insulation but puncture proofing your mattress.

Exped MultiMat
http://www.bushcraftequipment.com.au/st ... d-MultiMat

Ricky