HALO 1 vs XTC2

mountain tamer

HALO 1 vs XTC2

Postby mountain tamer » Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:54 pm

After reading the "Social dually topic" i was alerted to the Halo. I was originally going to but the XTC2 (a post-HSC reward) but the halo really caught my attention.

I didn't want to hijack the post so ill ask here.

why does the dual suspension bike only go up to 20" when the xtc goes to 22". are dullies always smaller?

22 inch is my size, would 20 inch in the dual susp. be sufficient?

cheers,

MT

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:12 pm

The size of bikes is usually denoted by the length of the seat tube, however that's plainly a ludicrous measure these days. The geometry of frames is all over the shop ....

Dual suspension bikes tend to have shorter seat posts to allow for better bottom bracket clearance, which lowers when you sit on it - sag - and "drops" further when you hit a bump.

A better indicator of the size of the bike when looking at MTBs is the designation by the maker: XS, S, M, L, XL. I know that a medium frame from Giant or Specialized is the right size for me, regardless of the seat tube length.

The best indicator of size, though, is the "Effective Top Tube" length. That tells you how stretched out your torso will be, and that is independent of the geometry of the frame.

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

mountain tamer

Postby mountain tamer » Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:17 pm

thanks Graeme

ill check it out,

here it is

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-AU/bik ... 176/31856/.

63.5 cm should be perfect.

what do you reckon about the spec??

cheers,

MT

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:56 pm

Regarding the specifications, I'd stay well clear of the bike. Sorry. For that sort of money you'd get a reasonable HT, but the components on the Halo aren't even at "Deore" level. The standard advice hasn't changed in this example - don't buy a FS MTB for less than $2000.

If you want to see how much that rear shock is costing you, compare the price with the Boulder, which has similar specs on components. And that cost is only in dollars - we're not even considering how heavy the bike will be. That's the level of bike the Halo is, which is clearly not a suitable bike for serious MTB riding.

I usually spruke the Giant XtC2 as the best value for money serious HT, but I've changed my tune since seeing the new range of Malvern Star MTBs. Honestly, for $1400 RRP, you get components you'd normally only see on a bike worth $2500 - $3000. Even if you decide later that the bike is too heavy (and it may well be), swapping the components onto a light-weight secondhand frame is a very viable option.

If $1400 is too much, check out the lower models. I'm sure their $1000 model will be one of the bargains of the year too.

Cheers,
Graeme
---------------------

Bnej

Postby Bnej » Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:24 am

It's a lot better than the Boulder. The Dart 2 forks are a big step up in damping, plus better chainrings and gear all around. It's more like the Yukon in spec.

I'd think about the Halo 1 if you must have dual suspension under $2000 but still probably better to have a hard tail around $1500.

mountain tamer

Postby mountain tamer » Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:27 am

thanks for the advice,

I had a feeling that would be the answer, but i thought i would just ask in case.

However, I think you guys are talking about the halo 2 (dart2 forks) , but i was considering the halo 1. (It has tora air forks, SLX rear derallier (http://www.shimano.com.au/publish/conte ... n/slx.html) + the other components seem reasonable.

here is the link (http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-AU/bik ... 176/31855/) RRP 1495

sorry, i think it is my fault for posting the wrong geometry link :?

I don't know if this changes things??

PS the XCS-9 looks awesome (http://www.thelegendisback.com.au/), never thought I would say that about a Malvern Star

much appreciated,

MT :D

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:22 am

mountain tamer wrote:PS the XCS-9 looks awesome (http://www.thelegendisback.com.au/), never thought I would say that about a Malvern Star
Exactly! I never thought I'd recommend a MS either, but seeing is believing.

Cheers,
Graeme
---------------------

Bnej

Postby Bnej » Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:11 am

I think the Halo 1 is fine for the price, but it will still be very heavy & low spec compared to a HT at the same price.

Tora & SLX is decent but Recons and X.9 is much better.

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:14 am

Bnej wrote:Tora & SLX is decent but Recons and X.9 is much better.
... and so is ~4kg less mass. :)

Cheers,
Graeme
---------------------

mountain tamer

Postby mountain tamer » Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:52 am

I'm sold :D

Malvern Star here i come !!!!!

cheers guys,

MT

P.S what do you know about the MS crankset (Truvativ Stylo 3.3
170mm) and BB (Truvativ GXP Team 2-Piece Cartridge), i tend to be pretty ruthless on these parts?

(EDIT) I am a little concerned about it only having 28 spokes, but i can always change that down the track
Last edited by mountain tamer on Sun Sep 21, 2008 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:58 am

P.S what do you know about the MS crankset
Call me Schultz: "I know nahting!"

Edit: they get good reviews from users on MTBR.

Cheers,
Graeme
---------------------

black4tress

Postby black4tress » Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:35 am

Get on the MS bandwagon - you can't go wrong.........um I think. I don't think they will keep prices this low for too long. It's their introductory price back into the world of cycling.
[Centurion LeMans Single Speed] [BMC Fourstroke FS03]

stu

Postby stu » Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:19 pm

How did you go Mountain Tamer?

Did you buy a MV

I email a dealer a few days ago for prices & info & never got a reply so Im interesed if you did get the XCS9 how much & whats it like

Cheers
Stu
Fact of Life: After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says W T F.

mountain tamer

Postby mountain tamer » Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:35 pm

hey stu,

I went to a bike shop that sold them and he said that all the xcs 9's pretty much sold out within the first 2 weeks, I had no chance considering i needed a 23 inch frame. I don't think you would be able to get one, which is probably why they haven't replied, apparently they get dozens of the same type of call every day asking about the xcs 9

I asked about the 09 model and he said that it will never be nearly as good as the 08 because they took advantage of the AUD when it was at record levels and since the crash they would never be able to replicate these deals.

I went shopping around and all bikes have gone up by 150-250 dollars in one week. I ordered up a 09 xct 2 with eggbeaters for 1750 which is an excellent deal considering the financial state. I get it in feb due to my size being sold out.

The guys in that shop seemed still very apprehensive about the quality of the MS when I told them, but that is a biased opinion.

After seeing the MS it makes everything else seem like very poor value for money, but on the other hand i am kind of glad that i get to stick to giant, a brand which i trust.

sorry to shatter your dreams,

MT

Sorry to dissapoint
The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple:...
The slower you go the more likely it is you'll crash. ~Julie Furtado