Riverside Bikeway Snap Closure

beauyboy

Riverside Bikeway Snap Closure

Postby beauyboy » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:58 pm

I will post more details when I get them but the Riverside Bikeway near the admirlity Towers has been closed due to structural issues. There should be a detour in affect.

Donald
Last edited by beauyboy on Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
BCC give us some more bikeways fore safe travel!!!!
Upgrade the NCL now QR!!!!!!
http://nakedcyclistbrissy.blogspot.com/
My views do not represent any organisation I may be apart of unless otherwise stated

beauyboy

Postby beauyboy » Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:06 pm

OK some further notes from a Interview on ABC this afternoon from the Transport Minister

*not structurally adiquite for it's purpose
*report was only handed over 27/8/08
*no report on cost of the repair yet
*was opened in 1998
*was to be structurally sound for 30 years
*report was commisioned a few months ago
*ownership of the riverwalk was just transfered from the Port of Brisbane authority to Brisbane City Council
* State will be paying for the repairs now and look at cost recovery later

www.couriermail.com.au
Fears of collapse during Riverfire force closure of Brisbane's RiverwalkArticle
Rosemary Odgers
August 27, 2008 12:37pm

PART of Brisbane's troubled Riverwalk will be closed for the Riverfire event due to safety concerns and may stay shut for some months.

The closure, effective immediately, was announced after State Parliament today.

An engineer at the government press conference said 80m of the walkway was in danger of collapse and another 80m of the walkway will be closed because authorities are worried people will congregate there during Riverfire.

The section affected by the closure runs between Boundary Street to Macrossan Street between the Story Bridge and Customs House at Admiralty Quays.

The closure follows a report commissioned by the Port of Brisbane Authority and given to the Government last night.

Transport Minister John Mickel said engineers had found that part of the concrete surface of the walkway had split from the supporting planks underneath.

"My advice is that these cracks do not present a risk under normal use but that crowds during Riverfire on the walkway would pose problems".

The Eagle Street section was found suitable to stay open "under controlled conditions".

"This has been a difficult decision but the safety of the public is paramount and that's why we are closing the section of the walkway now."

Repairs are expected to take some months.

www.brisbanetimes.com.au

Fears Riverwalk could collapse
Tony Moore | August 27, 2008 - 2:14PM
A section of Brisbane's riverside boardwalk has been closed because of fears it could collapse under the weight of crowds watching this weekend's fireworks festival.

Now the Port of Brisbane Authority, which is in charge of checking jetties, said the walkway may have to be pulled up.

Transport Minister John Mickel today said a 160-metre section of boardwalk beneath Admiralty Quays in Brisbane's CBD, had been closed after an engineering report found serious foundation problems for about 80 metres of its length.

Two large concrete slabs which are supposed to "work together" to share the weight have separated, a spokesman for Mr Mickel said.

"Basically two horizontal slabs that should be joined and working together, have separated and are no longer working as they should," the spokesman said.

It is understood the fault was detected in May during routine maintenance checks.

The section, built 10 years ago by the private sector, is a popular vantage point during Brisbane's Riverfire festival, being held on Saturday night.

Mr Mickel said he only received the final report last night.

"When I read the report I found in it that it wouldn't support the load on Saturday night," Mr Mickel said.

"I didn't want people gathering there and causing what could be potentially an unsafe situation."

The testing included divers inspecting the walkway from underwater and bore inspections of the piers.

He said the section would remain closed for three months while the Port of Brisbane undertook repair work, despite the section being owned by the private sector.

But legal action could follow, Mr Mickel said.

Different sections of the Riverside walkway have been built by different developers as growth has pushed the walkway around the Story Bridge corner of the Brisbane River, Mr Mickel's spokesman said.

"Each section was built by different developers so the design is a little bit different for each section," he said.

It is understood the section where the walkway is closed was built by the developers of the Admiralty Quays apartment block.

Another small section of boardwalk was also being checked, Mr Mickel said.

Port of Brisbane engineer Bill Tranberg said an estimated cost to repair the Admiralty Quays section had not yet been reached but it may have to be ripped up.

Admiralty Quays' building manager, Paul Whitaker, said it was his understanding that Admiralty Quays leased the boardwalk from the Port of Brisbane Authority.

"We weren't told about it (the closure)," Mr Whitaker said.

My views do not represent any organisation I may be apart of unless otherwise stated

beauyboy

Postby beauyboy » Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:13 am

www.couriermail.com.au

Fears of collapse during Riverfire force closure of Brisbane's RiverwalkArticle
Patrick Lion and Alison Sandy
August 27, 2008 12:37pm

USERS of one of Brisbane's busiest walkways face long disruption after a section of the riverside boardwalk was closed over fears it would collapse.

A 160m section of concrete walkway in front of the Story Bridge was shut down for at least three months after an engineering report found it had serious foundation problems along 80m.

The thoroughfare outside Admiralty Quays is a popular route for thousands of joggers and cyclists and was expected to be a popular viewing area for fireworks during Riverfire this weekend.

Transport Minister John Mickel yesterday said engineers had found part of the concrete surface had split from the supporting planks underneath.

"My advice is that these cracks do not present a risk under normal use but that crowds during Riverfire on the walkway would pose problems," Mr Mickel said.

"Perhaps I am being over cautious but I would rather be cautious in the interests of people."

The move comes four years after different problems emerged with the Brisbane City Council's long troubled floating Riverwalk on the other side of the Story Bridge at New Farm.

The Port of Brisbane Authority was last night investigating its legal options over the Admiralty Quays section, built by the private sector 10 years ago.

It was supposed to last 30 years.

While the PBA is seen as the caretaker of the walkway, developers of riverside buildings such as Admiralty Quays have to build the boardwalks and then lease the space.

Pedestrians are now being asked to detour along Boundary and Adelaide streets and back to the river along Macrossan St.

Major Brisbane Festivals chief executive Lyndon Terracini downplayed the impact on Riverfire despite the walkway being a popular vantage point for the annual fireworks spectacular.

"It's not an area where a lot of people go as most people go around South Bank," Mr Terracini said. "I'll live with that if it doesn't rain."

PBA chief engineer Bill Tranberg said the "design fault" might mean the whole section of walkway would have to be ripped up at unknown cost.

"There are some cracks but concrete cracks all the time," Mr Tranberg said. "If there was a large loading, there would be a risk of failure."

Admiralty Quays residential manager Paul Whitaker said he was not sure what legal ramifications the cracking might involve.

"We're just disappointed the Government haven't communicated with us sooner given they only told us at midday today, 15 minutes before they closed it, after finding out about the problems last night," he said.

A Brisbane City Council spokesman said officers would assist the State Government with diversions for pedestrians and cyclists.

beauyboy

Postby beauyboy » Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:18 am

Further news
from

www.couriermail.com.au

Riverside boardwalk fix to cost more than $50 million
By Craig Johnstone
September 06, 2008 12:00am

IT will cost more than $50 million to rebuild and refurbish Brisbane's riverside boardwalk as doubts emerge about whether it meets building standards.

The boardwalk has deteriorated since it was built in the 1980s and 1990s and a leaked report revealed widespread confusion over who was responsible.

The report, written in April, also warned of cracking and deficiencies in concrete piles several months before the Government finally acted and closed part of the boardwalk last week, citing safety concerns.

The Queensland Transport report estimated the bill for rebuilding the boardwalk to meet construction and design standards could be $53 million. That included a capital cost of about $40 million and up to $13 million on refurbishment costs over the next five years. It said the main reason for the deterioration was that the companies holding so-called "wet leases" covering the structure - mostly high-rise developers and bodies corporate - were not obliged to maintain it.

"This lack of prescriptive planning control has led to a situation where the boardwalk and structures built over the wet lease areas may not have been built and maintained to acceptable construction standards," the report said.

The Government closed a 160m section of the boardwalk last week after receiving an engineering report that found it had serious foundation problems and the decking had split from its supports.

It decided the problems would pose a safety risk to crowds attending last Saturday's Riverfire function.

Transport Minister John Mickel said a section between the Story Bridge and Customs House would be closed for up to three months. "We have no reason to believe that any other sections are at risk," he said last week.

But Queensland Transport noted in April that the boardwalk had design and construction problems, including cracking in the decking and hand rails, which did not meet Australian design standards.

On support structures, the department warned of a "number of deficiencies in the concrete piles and support steelwork on some sections of the boardwalk".

Brisbane City Council last year rejected a proposal by the Port of Brisbane Corporation for it to take over administration of wet leases, but negotiations have resumed.

Mr Mickel said in a statement that costings in the report were indicative and not based on comprehensive assessments.

"The first time we knew of the full extent of the condition of the boardwalk structure was when we received the WorleyParsons engineering report last week.

"Upon receiving that report I took action and closed the boardwalk immediately," he said.
I suspect that they mean the entire board walk with this 50 million quote.

Donald

beauyboy

Postby beauyboy » Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:28 am

ok more info.
www.couriermail.com.au

Riverwalk's dangerous section to be demolished, rebuilt
Nadine McGrath
September 20, 2008 02:40pm

THE State Government will pay $10 million to demolish and rebuild part of the popular Brisbane Riverwalk after an engineering report found it is unsafe.

A section of walkway between the Story Bridge and Customs House was closed just before Brisbane's annual Riverfire fireworks in August amid concern it could collapse under the weight of a large crowd.

The Queensland Government had planned to repair the 90m section of the boardwalk outside Admiralty Quays Tower.

But Transport Minister John Mickel said today a new engineering report had identified serious safety issues and the boardwalk must now be rebuilt.

Mr Mickel said even though the boardwalk had been privately built just 12 years ago the Government would pay the $10 million estimated cost to rebuild it.

"I think what taxpayers expect is for the government to fund it and fix it," Mr Mickel said.

"It's an iconic structure and we want to hand it back to the people as soon as possible."

However, Mr Mickel said the Government would investigate every legal option to recoup funds it spends on rebuilding the boardwalk.

"The structure was built according to development approvals signed off by a private certifier who indicated the life of the structure would be good for 30 years," he said.

"This is not a name and shame day...but I have asked the department to investigate every legal option to ensure we get our money back."

Port of Brisbane Corporation chief engineer Bill Tranberg said the boardwalk was simply dangerous in its current condition.

Mr Tranberg said initially the concrete decking had been found to not have sufficient strength.

"(Upon further investigation) we also found the piles are showing signs of deterioration and while they may last another two or three years it does not make sense to reconstruct the deck on something which won't last," Mr Tranberg said.

Mr Tranberg said the report found features of the boardwalk design which were inadequate, it had been poorly constructed and the piles used were simply not suitable.

"It's not a good example of a sound engineering structure that is for sure," he said.

"There are people we are following up in the legal sense."

Mr Tranberg said the rest of the Brisbane River Boardwalk is safe.

The Special One

Postby The Special One » Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:37 pm

Its only 50 metres but it ruins my journey, especially on the way home. I used to use the bit from Botanical gardens entrance at the bottom of Edward Street to the Storey Bridge. Dont bother at all any more and cut through the CBD. There are six right turns and 5 of them dangerous. Not so bad on the way in - mostly straight, all downhill and at 7am its fairly quiet.

Disgusting that the developers can just walk away from their mess and leave it to the taxpayer to clean it up.

beauyboy

Postby beauyboy » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:51 pm

www.brisbanetimes.com.au
www.brisbanetimes.com.au

River boardwalk repairs a year away
Tony Moore | January 28, 2009 - 5:14AM

Full-scale load testing on a damaged section of Brisbane's river boardwalk begins tomorrow, but the repairs are unlikely to be finished for 12 months, at a cost of up to $10 million.

A temporary walkway is likely to open in three months over the damaged walkway in front of Admiralty Quays residential tower.

In August, Transport Minister John Mickel closed about 160 metres of the boardwalk and said at the time it would be closed for three months.

Tests revealed that a panel of cement was not well poured on top of a pre-cast concrete section.

Mr Mickel closed the walkway the morning after reading the consultant's report.

Five months later, consultants will this morning take measurements to build a load-testing pool, which will sit on top of the damaged walkway.

Port of Brisbane chief engineer Bill Tranberg said a pool about three metres long and one metre deep would be built over the next week.

It's to be filled with water pumped from the river and independent consultants WorleyParsons, working for the Port of Brisbane Authority, will measure the impact on the damaged walkway.

"They were of the opinion that there were problems with the boardwalk and there certainly still are," Mr Tranberg said.

"That is why it is still closed, however before they come up with the scope of what remedial works need to be done there, they have recommended these further tests be done."

He said the issues were serious and that testing would confirm the bond between the panel and the deck.

"Initial tests showed there was very little (bonding). We are just trying to establish precisely what it is, so we know how much of the existing structure we can use."

Mr Tranberg said he hoped the temporary walkway would open in three months.

"The most optimistic thing is that it will be reopened in about three months and that might be reopened for a while - for 12 to 18 months - while the ulimate solution is worked out," he said.

The 90-metre section of the boardwalk in front of Admiralty Quays has repetitive three-metre sections of concrete panels resting on top of steel beams.

Just one section will be tested before the temporary walkway will be built, Mr Tranberg said.

Water will slowly fill the pool and from February 4, this pool will sit for 24 hours to test the reaction of the weight on the walkway.

Mr Tranberg said the results would determine a course of action.

In August, Mr Mickel, whose portfolio monitors the Port of Brisbane Authority, said the walkway may have to be ripped up.

This week Mr Mickel's office said it had no knowledge of any further work.

Admiralty Quays body corporate staff yesterday declined to answer questions, however brisbanetimes.com.au understands the residential tower complex rejects responsibility for the damaged walkway, saying it leases the land from the Port of Brisbane Authority. A major legal dispute is underway.

Mr Tranberg declined to answer any questions about the legal dispute.

beauyboy

Postby beauyboy » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:33 pm

Here is the media release to go along with the artical
www.qld.gov.au

Minister for Transport, Trade, Employment and Industrial Relations
The Honourable John Mickel
Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Load testing of closed section of City Reach boardwalk commences

The State Government is continuing to work through complex tenure issues associated with the management and maintenance of the City Reach boardwalk, as preparations for load testing of a closed section of the boardwalk commenced this week.

Transport Minister John Mickel said today the complexity of the issues involved meant a quick and simple solution was not possible.

“The closure has been longer than anticipated as we have had to steer a careful course between competing priorities of public access, public safety and an appropriate outcome to the legal and land tenure issues involved.”

Mr Mickel said the State Government had been conferring with the body corporate of the Admiralty Quays apartment block adjacent to the boardwalk and other stakeholders over the repair or replacement of the closed section.

“The Port of Brisbane Corporation has been working hard to find the best solution to the issues, liaising with Admiralty Quays body corporate, the Brisbane City Council and a number of State Government departments.

“At the same time, the Port of Brisbane has also been working on a temporary solution to allow the section to be safely reopened while a permanent solution is identified.”

Mr Mickel said the nature and extent of the temporary solution required would be determined by load testing scheduled for Wednesday of next week.

The testing involves placing a gradually-increasing weight load on the boardwalk, and leaving the full load in place for 24 hours. The test will help determine what repairs are required to ensure the safe operation of the boardwalk.

Subject to the outcome of the load testing, it is envisaged that a temporary structure could be placed over the existing deck, which would allow public access in approximately three months.

“While the closure has not been ideal, it has been necessary,” Mr Mickel said. “We won’t be rushing to reopen this section of the boardwalk until all our concerns are addressed.”

Media contact: 3237 1944
Donald

beauyboy

Re: Riverside Bikeway Snap Closure

Postby beauyboy » Sat May 02, 2009 8:55 am

Ok further updates.

The Riverside Bikeway infront of the Towers will reopen in July. This has been reported in "The Courier Mail". I have not been able to find a media release about it. There is also no online artical for it either.

You will just have to go to the library and read it sorry.

Donald

beauyboy

Postby beauyboy » Thu May 07, 2009 5:46 pm

another artical
http://www.questnews.com.au
quest news, citynews
Boardwalk back on track
news Local News 06 May 09 (AT) 09:04pm by Grant Stockwell
THE Cityreach Boardwalk will re-open in July despite a looming legal dispute between the State Government and Admiralty Quays over the million-dollar repair bill.
Smithsbridge Australia Pty Ltd on Monday started repair work on the 90m section that was closed last year due to safety concerns.
Transport Minister Rachel Nolan said she expected Admiralty Quays to foot the bill.
Ms Nolan did not say how much the repairs would cost but confirmed it was less than the $10million quoted by her predecessor John Mickel.
``I don’t want to to go into that because it will probably be subject to legal proceedings,’’ Ms Nolan said.
She said Admiralty Quays agreed to a development condition when the boardwalk was built that it would maintain the section fronting its property.
``That clearly hasn’t happened and it remains the government’s expectation that this condition would be met,’’ she said.
``The State Government issued Admiralty Quays with a directive to fix it some time ago and there has not been action taken,’’ Ms Nolan said.
``We are not willing to wait and watch this public inconvenience go on so we have acted, but it is still our expectation that Admiralty Quays will pay for it.’’
``We gave them a chance to do the right thing, both legally and ethically, to fix it and action has not been forthcoming so we are going to do it ourselves but the expectation remains that they will foot the bill.’’
Repair work includes the application of anti-corrosion coatings, bolt replacement and bracing of steel beams.
City News was unable to contact a spokesman for Admiralty Quays

beauyboy

Postby beauyboy » Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:44 pm

It now seams they are phyicly working on the Bikeway now. I see workmen around the site most afternoon on the ride home.

Donald

beauyboy

Postby beauyboy » Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:52 am

There is a light at the end of the tunnel
www.qld.gov.au
Premier and Minister for the Arts
The Honourable Anna Bligh

Minister for Transport
The Honourable Rachel Nolan

Sunday, July 12, 2009

Iconic boardwalk reopens to public

Premier Anna Bligh and Transport Minister Rachel Nolan have announced that Brisbane's City Reach boardwalk will reopen within weeks, in time for this year's Riverfire event.

"The entire boardwalk will be open for this year's Riverfire, and runners, walkers, cyclists and tourists will again be able to enjoy an uninterrupted journey along the riverside," said Premier Anna Bligh.

"Some further works on this section will be continuing until September, but being below the deck, these are not expected to inconvenience people using the boardwalk.

"Over the past 11 months, the State Government has carried out $2.5 million worth of essential repairs, including some by frogmen working in the river underneath the structure.

"They have fixed the problems and we are now in a position to consolidate control of this section to avoid the maintenance problems we have had in the past."

Repairs have included fixing concrete deck panels, fixing deteriorated concrete piles, replacement of inadequate bracing on steel piles, and the replacement of corroded bolts on supporting beams under the boardwalk.

Work men have also repainted corroded steelwork and the installation of additional steel supporting sections to provide better support for the concrete deck.

“We are now in a position to consolidate control of this section to avoid the maintenance problems we have had in the past,” said the Premier.

Ownership and management of the walkway is shared between Brisbane City Council, the State Government (via the Port of Brisbane Corporation) and private interests.

The owners of the adjoining buildings, which include Waterfront Place, the Eagle Street Pier, Riparian Plaza, The Riverside Centre and the apartment buildings near the Story Bridge also own the boardwalk structure and are responsible for its upkeep.

"This complex structure of responsibility has caused problems in the management of the boardwalk precinct and that's why the State Government stepped in to sort this out," said Ms Bligh.

"For some time the State Government and the Port of Brisbane have been working towards transferring control of the City Reach boardwalk to Brisbane City Council.

"Negotiations between the Government and the Brisbane City Council will continue and a handover of control should be completed early next year."

Transport Minister Rachel Nolan said that after the closure of the Admiralty Quays section of the boardwalk in August 2008 the Port of Brisbane Corporation engaged with the Admiralty Quays Body Corporate and the original developers and designers of the boardwalk.

"When these parties formally refused to undertake the repairs within the period allowed, the Port of Brisbane Corporation stepped in and undertook the repairs itself," Ms Nolan said.

"The Corporation will now take legal action to recover the repair costs from these parties."

On 27 August 2008, a 70-metre section of the boardwalk at Admiralty Quays was closed just prior to the Riverfire events, following an interim report by consulting engineers Worley Parsons.

The boardwalk from Boundary Street to Macrossan Street - between the Story Bridge and Customs House - was closed so essential maintenance work could be carried out.

Engineers found parts of the concrete surface of the walkway had split from the supporting planks underneath and that the sub-structure required strengthening and repairs because of excessive corrosion.

"The idea of transferring control to the BCC is that it will resolve the complex tenure and planning issues that have dogged this section of the boardwalk," said the Minister.

"This will allow the area to be efficiently managed as an extension of the Eagle Street precinct of the CBD and give us a clear chain of responsibility."

Contacts 07 32244500

12 July 2009

beauyboy

Postby beauyboy » Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:02 pm

I'll make this blunt

It's open

with upgraded raillings to it

Donald