First ride on a brand new Rohloff

chillimagnum

Postby chillimagnum » Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:46 am

Very underwhelming. Noisy. Low gear up hill sounds like a chainsaw, not as bad on flat. Freewheel loud. It's embarrisingly noisey. Actually maybe it's a safety feature when approaching pedestrians. Rolling around in the dark back street with dynamo lights (totally awesome) and this this is making a hell of a racket.

I can hearing the whirring of the hub - I expected that - but what is with all the grinding and clacking and all the other noises? The manual says 1000km is the break in period so hopefully it's just that.

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:17 am

Underwhelming? Yes, your first impression is exactly the same as mine. It went downhill from there.
I've even had other cyclists asking me Say What is that noise.
Expect the fanboys to descend upon you for your blasphemous thoughts. :lol:
Mine hasn't improved after more than 5000km and an oil change either.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Wingnut

Re: First ride on a brand new Rohloff

Postby Wingnut » Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:41 am

Hmm...mine is fairly silent with no "grinding or clacking"?

If yours is such a pain RonK why don't you put your money where your mouth is and get rid of it rather than just rubbishing it all the time?

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:50 am

Been thru all the gears? 7th & 8th are darn noisy and it lowers off from there. Mine did decrease after 1000km but it was still noisy. Much prefer my 3x10 setup now as it has a wider range
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:46 am

Wingnut wrote:Hmm...mine is fairly silent with no "grinding or clacking"?

If yours is such a pain RonK why don't you put your money where your mouth is and get rid of it rather than just rubbishing it all the time?
How do you know that I still have it?

Regardless, I will continue to let people know that there is another side to the Rohloff that the fanboys don't want to talk about.

Warin

Postby Warin » Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:28 pm

Wingnut wrote:If yours is such a pain RonK why don't you put your money where your mouth is and get rid of it rather than just rubbishing it all the time?
I'd rather know of a potential problems .. even if they only occur in a few of the products, so I'm informed about them. Hopefully there is a solution to it. At the moment it appears there is no solution - just some people have it and others don't. If a noisy one lasts 5,000km then I'm not so worried about failure. But noise is energy .. and I'd rather have it put into forward motion, so it would annoy me.

On the freewheel .. no worried about it - Hopes too are supposed to be noisy. The energy loss .. well you just loose speed quicker and you probably want to do that if your not pedaling (where is the panting smilies?)
Last edited by Warin on Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wingnut

Postby Wingnut » Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:28 pm

I don't RonK...if you have removed it then reveal some images and give yourself some credibility to show that you practice what you preach?

There's positives and negatives to both Rohloff's and standard derailleurs...you just have a knack of pushing the RonK way or its no way...

Wingnut

Postby Wingnut » Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:31 pm

Warin wrote:
Wingnut wrote:If yours is such a pain RonK why don't you put your money where your mouth is and get rid of it rather than just rubbishing it all the time?
I'd rather know of a potential problems .. even if they only occur in a few of the products, so I'm informed about them. Hopefully there is a solution to it. At the moment it appears there is no solution - just some people have it and others don't. If a noisy one lasts 5,000km then I'm not so worried about failure. But noise is energy .. and I'd rather have it put into forward motion, so it would annoy me.
Pointing out issues is one thing but just blatantly bad mouthing things because he or she doesn't like them is another...

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:42 pm

Wingnut wrote:I don't RonK...if you have removed it then reveal some images and give yourself some credibility to show that you practice what you preach?

There's positives and negatives to both Rohloff's and standard derailleurs...you just have a knack of pushing the RonK way or its no way...
Funny that you never mention the negatives, and when they are raised you want gloss over them, and then you try to shout down anyone who raises them.

This is an open forum, not the Rohloff fan club.

I will stop mentioning them when the fanboys take off their rose-coloured glasses and candidly present the cons along with the pros so that others can decide for themselves before they commit to a substantial outlay.

Wingnut

Postby Wingnut » Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:48 pm

You silly old fool RonK...

I don't deny there are failures, some hubs can be noisy and flanges do break or the odd seal leaks.

But there are failures with regular hub flanges as well as freehubs, cassettes breaking, derailleur arms failing...and on and on...

You don't seem point those out do you? You don't mention Rihloff's great customer service do you? You're agenda is your own, you point out what suits what you want...

I thought I was negative but you take negativity to a whole new level...go have a look at all your previous post's RonK, have a look in the mirror...it's not pretty!

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:53 pm

Wingnut wrote:You silly old fool RonK...

I don't deny there are failures, some hubs can be noisy and flanges do break or the odd seal leaks.

But there are failures with regular hub flanges as well as freehubs, cassettes breaking, derailleur arms failing...and on and on...

You don't seem point those out do you? You don't mention Rihloff's great customer service do you? You're agenda is your own, you point out what suits what you want...

I thought I was negative but you take negativity to a whole new level...go have a look at all your previous post's RonK, have a look in the mirror...it's not pretty!
Well, if you can't shut somebody up by shouting them down, you can always try a little personal abuse.

It ain't gonna work...

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:55 pm

chillimagnum wrote:Very underwhelming. Noisy. Low gear up hill sounds like a chainsaw, not as bad on flat. Freewheel loud. It's embarrisingly noisey. Actually maybe it's a safety feature when approaching pedestrians. Rolling around in the dark back street with dynamo lights (totally awesome) and this this is making a hell of a racket.

I can hearing the whirring of the hub - I expected that - but what is with all the grinding and clacking and all the other noises? The manual says 1000km is the break in period so hopefully it's just that.
Is this a brand new hub, i.e., under warranty? If yes then really you should take this up with the retailer as it does not sound that good.

Andrew

Wingnut

Postby Wingnut » Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:02 pm

Oh RonK your so silly,

No shouting from my side RonK, I'm just pointing out your one sided arguments...your inability to hide your bias by not pointing out both pros and cons...I don't need to personally abuse you, your obtuse attitude on these forums in general reveals the true person you really are...

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:08 pm

Wingnut wrote:Oh RonK your so silly,

No shouting from my side RonK, I'm just pointing out your one sided arguments...your inability to hide your bias by not pointing out both pros and cons...I don't need to personally abuse you, your obtuse attitude on these forums in general reveals the true person you really are...
hehehe - it's you that needs to be looking in the mirror. Go take a long hard look through your one eye.

Wingnut

Postby Wingnut » Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:16 pm

Oh I no my faults RonK,

As I previously mentioned I thought I was negative but you take the cake...

We all here understand you're knowledgable but you're just so damn antagonistic...lighten up and try to start looking through both eyes...

I'm prepared to but are you?

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:43 pm

Wingnut wrote:Oh I no my faults RonK,

As I previously mentioned I thought I was negative but you take the cake...

We all here understand you're knowledgable but you're just so damn antagonistic...lighten up and try to start looking through both eyes...

I'm prepared to but are you?
And I know mine - but shying away from the truth is not one of them.

I paid a premium price for a product that is marketed as superior in almost every way, and fawned over by its fans.

The reality is quite different, it doesn't live up to the hype, and I'm not ashamed to admit that the component I spent a lot of money to buy isn't up to my expectations.

And yet, every time the subject is raised, never is there any comment about the noise from the lower gears, that the shifting isn't as seamless as the marketing promises, that shifting under the even slightest load is not possible, that a hasty downshift may leave the hub in 14th instead of 7th, that some owners have experienced oil leaks and cracked flanges, and as in this thread you offer scant acknowledgement only when pushed.

Very few people would not be aware of the reliability of derailleur transmissions, and that the consequences of a total failure of an individual component will not be expensive or particularly inconvenient, since parts and service are widely available. There is no need to bring them into the discussion. On the other hand few people are aware of the potential issues with the Speedhub.

For a such premium product one would naturally expect a high level of customer service from the manufacturer, indeed is a necessity since very few bike shops are able to provide service. But having to return it to the manufacturer is not at all convenient, particularly when on a tour.

I suspect chillimagnum has based his decision to buy Rohloff largely on the glowing advice he's received here, or at least been significantly influenced by it. I hope he's able to come to terms with the issues he's observed so far and doesn't come to regret his choice.
Last edited by RonK on Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wingnut

Postby Wingnut » Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:54 pm

Yay...

That's better RonK!

But remember these are individual opinions or experiences as there are many happy Rolhoff owners too...should not be generalizations...

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:55 pm

Are you still using yours Ron?

Andrew

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:04 pm

Aushiker wrote:Are you still using yours Ron?

Andrew
I still have it, but haven't ridden it for over a year. Can't be bothered putting up with the racket that emanates from it.

I'm tossing up whether to give it one last chance on tour next autumn, then I'll decide what to do with it. But my current thinking is to get rid of it and build up a Muru BNT. Most likely transmission choice would be a 2x10 XT. It will unquestionably not be Rohloff.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:27 pm

chillimagnum wrote:Very underwhelming. Noisy. Low gear up hill sounds like a chainsaw, not as bad on flat. Freewheel loud. It's embarrisingly noisey. Actually maybe it's a safety feature when approaching pedestrians. Rolling around in the dark back street with dynamo lights (totally awesome) and this this is making a hell of a racket.

Hehehe,
has yours not got the cranks rotating whilst pushing the bike?
My ankles usually come end up with a few bruises after a tour.
As time goes by, you become less attuned to the noise and are able to enjoy the positives if your like me and not a fan of maintenance.
I think its 7th gear that sounds a bit grindy on mine but I'm rarely in it for long enough to annoy me to any real degree.
I think some people equate the gear seven noise with perceived drag but I'm not convinced and I think its really the noise impacting on their logic.
As in if it sounds like drag it must be drag.
The coasting in gears above seven I find annoying but the level of discomfort has decreased as I put more km's on the hub.
No I don't say the noise level drops, but merely I think I'm almost over being embarrassed by it.
I doubt you'll find any real decrease in noise after 1000km but merely you'll become immune to its excesses.
I'm not really unhappy with mine but would be unlikely to buy another one due to the ability to fly to various tour destinations for the change I'd have from a standard derailleur setup. :)

It is the only IGH I'd consider for loaded touring on a large wheeled bike and its reputation is still pretty damned good with regards to failure rate.
The other offerings of IHG persuasion pale in comparison (IMHO) for equivalent duty. :)
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:32 pm

I can actually appreciate the lack of noise requirement from lots of cyclists, we even fuss over clicking sounds, changing gear noises etc, I know when I tracked down an annoying clicking noise to the pedals I thought it was xmas.
But how do you like the hub from a decent hard wearing gear box. effeicency ease of changing etc.
I selected an 8 speed nexus rear wheel for my wife and it is proving an excellent thing in getting her to come riding with me. She had no hope of coming to terms with a derailleur set up at all. Just the convenience of standing changes is the key though. I know the nexus is probably not great for longevity but you get what you pay for.It is virtually free of all noise as well.
But looking at the manufacturing video of the Rohloff it sounds like a decent test drive is in order if wanting one. I know StKilda cycles in Melb sell them and service them as well.
It may even pay to hire one if speculating.
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

Wingnut

Postby Wingnut » Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:39 pm

outnabike wrote:But looking at the manufacturing video of the Rohloff it sounds like a decent test drive is in order if wanting one. I know StKilda cycles in Melb sell them and service them as well.
It may even pay to hire one if speculating.
I purchased mine from St Kilda Cycles...my Rohloff only has a light wheeeer so I'm curious to hear a loud one?

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:44 pm

RonK wrote:Well, if you can't shut somebody up by shouting them down, you can always try a little personal abuse.

It ain't gonna work...
RonK wrote:that the fanboys don't want to talk about.
RonK wrote:when the fanboys take off their rose-coloured glasses
You seem to think it works OK ??

*Tiresome*
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

chillimagnum

Postby chillimagnum » Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:07 am

RonK wrote:I suspect chillimagnum has based his decision to buy Rohloff largely on the glowing advice he's received here, or at least been significantly influenced by it. I hope he's able to come to terms with the issues he's observed so far and doesn't come to regret his choice.
From a variety of sources - this forum has alot of good advice/solutions/experience just some of it is buried many pages deep and scattered around various threads. Piecing it all together is a bit of a puzzle.
rifraf wrote:has yours not got the cranks rotating whilst pushing the bike?
Doesn't seem so. They move a bit at first then stop. The manual mentions something about that.
rifraf wrote:The coasting in gears above seven I find annoying but the level of discomfort has decreased as I put more km's on the hub.
There's a distinct change in coasting sound from lower gears 1 to 7, then the switch to 8 is very noticable.
outnabike wrote:But how do you like the hub from a decent hard wearing gear box. effeicency ease of changing etc.
Too early to say, still getting used to the twist shifter and different brake/gear shifter setup.

Yes I expected noise - just not this much. This was really just my first impressions which were occupied by all the noise. Now that's known let's see where this bike can take me.

Wingnut

Postby Wingnut » Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:17 am

chillimagnum wrote: Yes I expected noise - just not this much. This was really just my first impressions which were occupied by all the noise. Now that's known let's see where this bike can take me.
I think mine is fairly quiet...but isn't there a wearing in period where by the hub does eventually quieten down?

I found it awkward at first comparing to regular derailleur's in that with the Rohloff you micro pause to shift but you have to pedal with external gears...it's so good not having to pedal to change gears now.