Cyclists allowed to ride on the footpath

kwv

Cyclists allowed to ride on the footpath

Postby kwv » Sun Sep 21, 2008 1:33 pm

As I got a very poor, slow and no response from Brisbane Council especially The CEO and The Lord Mayor, but the cycling Unit of Queensland Transport and The Minister for Transport.

Because they don't really care if lives are at risk and many cyclists break the law?

Can someone explain how can allowing cyclists to ride a legal road vehicle on the footpath be a sane and safe idea?

Especially when not only just a few cyclists but many ride in a very dangerous manner.

Such as against the red and straight off the footpath onto a pedestrians crossing especially at The Intersection of Vulture and Biundary St West End and The crossing on North Quay end of Victoria Bridge?

But a USA based cyclists group said allowing cyclists to ride on the footpath is a stupid and dangerous idea.

PS Yes there are drivers who run the red, so why do some cyclists thinks this an excuse to do the same?

PPS If they don't change The Local Laws so cyclists are not allowed to ride an legal road vehicle on the footpath, maybe there should a new law allowing motorists to drive and park an legal road vehicle (The Car) on the footpath?

Matt_Matt

Postby Matt_Matt » Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:02 pm

Hmmmmmmm

Is that 'Troll' I can smell ?

kwv

Postby kwv » Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:09 pm

Matt_Matt wrote:Hmmmmmmm

Is that 'Troll' I can smell ?
Did you look up the meaning of the word troll?

Because someone expressing an opinion does not mean someone is a troll.

But looking at many of your comments and the meaning of a troll, aren't you a troll writing comments to disrupt normal on-topic discussion?

'An Internet troll, or simply troll in Internet slang, is someone who posts controversial and irrelevant or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum or chat room, with the intention of provoking other users into an emotional response[1] or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.'

Now back to my orginal question, while the troll goes on his way ready to disrupt other on-topic discussion?

Aushiker

Re: Cyclists allowed to ride on the footpath

Postby Aushiker » Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:35 pm

kwv wrote:As I got a very poor, slow and no response from Brisbane Council especially The CEO and The Lord Mayor, but the cycling Unit of Queensland Transport and The Minister for Transport.
G'day

I don't follow your posting here. Are you saying no response from all the parties mentioned or just some?

Also are the laws being changed to allow cyclists on paths if not accompanied by a child 12 years or younger? Is this your matter of concern?

Regards
Andrew
Andrew

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:42 pm

kwv,

Matt's comment was based on the fact that the issue IS controversial and it was your first ever post on the forum (welcome, by the way).

What was your original question? What would you like us to comment on?

The law in QLD is that riders can use the footpath. As far as I know, that's the only state in Oz where it is legal to do so. No cyclists are breaking the law when they ride their bikes on the footpaths in QLD.

That's why you received little response from the authorities you contacted.

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

biftek

Postby biftek » Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:46 pm

the Brisbane Council especially The CEO and The Lord Mayor are just the bottom layer of government only going by what gets fed to from upstairs , for a response you would be best off contact the road transit authority in your state

the qld bike footpath law states
ride on a footpath unless prohibited by a 'NO BICYCLES' sign—you must give way to pedestrians and ride in a manner that does not inconvenience or endanger other footpath users.

so why are bikes allowed to ride on the footpath? who knows , why do we drive on the left side of of the road , why is the drivers seat on the right hand side of that car (unless you're driving and import)

it's just the way things are

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:53 pm

Further to my post above, several of the members here from QLD state that the road system caters very poorly for cyclists there, and that they like the option of being able to take refuge from traffic hazards by riding on the footpath.

Be careful when you agitate for the expulsion of cyclists from footpaths: you may end up removing cycling from the QLD culture altogether unless the infrastructure is in place on the roads first.

(BTW - I agree that cyclist should be on the roads, but I live in a cycling friendly city.)

Cheers,
Graeme
---------------------

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Sep 21, 2008 3:10 pm

biftek wrote:the qld bike footpath law states
ride on a footpath unless prohibited by a 'NO BICYCLES' sign—you must give way to pedestrians and ride in a manner that does not inconvenience or endanger other footpath users.
Ahh, your laws are different from ours which distinguish between footpaths and shared paths. Mind you we both have to respect other users on the paths.

I assume that footpaths are narrower like they are here, what is the big concern with the law as it stands?

Andrew
Andrew

eliza

Postby eliza » Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:56 pm

kwv wrote: Can someone explain how can allowing cyclists to ride a legal road vehicle on the footpath be a sane and safe idea?
Especially when not only just a few cyclists but many ride in a very dangerous manner.
Such as against the red and straight off the footpath onto a pedestrians crossing especially at The Intersection of Vulture and Biundary St West End and The crossing on North Quay end of Victoria Bridge?
But a USA based cyclists group said allowing cyclists to ride on the footpath is a stupid and dangerous idea.
hey kwv,
sorry if you got shot down as a troll (and you're not!) and it's your first post!! my first post too, was "controversial". personally, i don't see the link between discussing this and being a troll...
anyhoo.

re riding on footpaths:
what is it with all of you and making "laws", are you all cops? politicians? talkback radio freaks? or what?

sorry kwv, that's not specifically about you.
so... yeah, having to ride on the footpath sux, and i daresay that most cyclists wouldn't, if, that is, they had an equivalent safe place to ride!

i ride every weekday along mccullough road, in sunnybank. initially i was riding on the footpath, until one day i decided, since i only go along it for a short stretch, and the road is wide enough, that i'd ride on the road.
a few days into this, ah, experiment, a truckie with too much testosterone, who, i'd suggest, links his masculinity to his being able to push his foot down on an accelerator of a big truck (hardly a difficult thing to do) decided it would quite funny to edge closer and closer to me as he passed me.

yes. it was deliberate, he was smirking at me in the rear vision mirror.
what a f..king !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !!! obviously! not to mention extremely dangerous.

anyways, my point is that until the situation on the road allows for cyclists to be safe, the footpath needs to be an open option.
oh, and probably fair enough for the 7 year old kid with parent too, but that's a different matter.

as for "unsafe cyclists"
what is it with all of you and beating up on cyclists?
isn't this supposed to be a pro cycling site?!

re running red lights
fyi yesterday i was on vulture street, leaving south bank station, heading for the west end when i caught up to a cyclist in front of me. we were at the red light, she decided to run it, i decided to wait.

the situation unfolded like this:
she got far enough ahead of the traffic at the red light so that by the time they had caught up with her many of them had turned, parked or otherwise were out of each others way.

me, on the other hand, waited for the red light and consequently caused ENORMOUS inconvenience to the traffic behind (all of .05 seconds btw) one of whom, with his ute and trailer decided he would pull the same stunt as the truckie on mccullough street.

my point is that sometimes (understatement i'd guess) running red lights is in the interests of both cyclists and cars, as it allows the different forms of traffic to disperse from one another.

what would be great to see in this context, is layered traffic lights, whereby cyclists get to go a few seconds before cars.
yes folks, it is being done elsewhere... (let's look to vancouver again!!) :D
welcome to the forum kwv
Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling. ~James E. Starrs

eliza

Postby eliza » Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:59 pm

Kalgrm wrote:
(BTW - I agree that cyclist should be on the roads, but I live in a cycling friendly city.)
hey graeme,
i'm so curious as to why, when you live in perth, you're so interested in the cycling scene in brisbane?!
pls explain!
p.s. this is, of course, not meant to question your authority in commenting on any matter you please!!!

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:21 pm

eliza wrote: as for "unsafe cyclists"
what is it with all of you and beating up on cyclists?
isn't this supposed to be a pro cycling site?!
Mmm, I can't talk for the "site" but personally I am pro people who do the right thing and thus respect their right to use the footpath, shared path, road, trail etc in a safe and enjoyable manner, irrespective of if they ride a bike, walk or drive a car/truck/whatever. BTW I do all three (bike, car, walk that is) .... as I suspect a lot of people do here.

When I drive I am more careful about cyclists (and other vehicles too) for good reason, and when I ride I am more careful about walkers for the same good reasons. I find that works best for me, maybe your YMMV.

Oh BTW I see stupidity exhibited by cyclists, by walkers, by drivers.... Stupidity is not mutually exclusive to one group.

Andrew
Andrew

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:05 pm

eliza wrote:hey graeme,
i'm so curious as to why, when you live in perth, you're so interested in the cycling scene in brisbane?!
pls explain!
p.s. this is, of course, not meant to question your authority in commenting on any matter you please!!!
G'day Eliza,

I'm not particularly interested in what is happening in Brisbane per se, but I do take an interest in all cycling, nationwide, and in all its various guises (road, MTB, fixie, SS etc). I like to stay informed about what is happening in my past-time, because issues that affect you may eventually or currently affect me.

Oh, and see that little "Super Mod" icon on the left of the screen, right underneath my name? That means I read a lot of posts on the forum which have little to do with me so I can make sure people are behaving themselves. Forums run more smoothly if good moderation is carried out, and done so in a discrete manner. I needed to nip the "troll" comment in the bud before the thread got taken off into a debate about what a troll is and whether or not kwv is one (I don't think he/she is.) Making a comment which draws the thread back onto topic is better than locking it or deleting posts.

Call me a member of the forum police force if you like. I'm here to make sure you and others don't take the law into your own hands on the forum, whether or not you do so when on the road (or footpath, as the case may be in QLD ... ;))

Cheers,
Graeme
---------------------

eliza

Postby eliza » Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:40 pm

Kalgrm wrote:
Oh, and see that little "Super Mod" icon on the left of the screen, right underneath my name?
wait, let me get my magnifying glass...
s-u-p-e-r m-o-
oh yes, i see it ;)
Kalgrm wrote: Call me a member of the forum police force if you like.
would u like it? :lol:

eliza

Postby eliza » Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:41 pm

where's kwv gone?
maybe she/he was a troll?! :shock:

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:50 pm

eliza wrote:would u like it? :lol:
Not really, no. But it's one of the tasks I have on the board.

Cheers,
Graeme
---------------------

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:52 pm

eliza wrote:where's kwv gone?
kwv is probably waiting to see how we respond and waiting to find out if we are going to insult him or her some more. I think I can understand the reaction, given the icy reception offered.

Cheers,
Graeme
---------------------

beauyboy

Postby beauyboy » Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:49 pm

I also say troll.

The original comment to me was hostaile and wanting a aggressive response. I get the feeling that there may of been an incident.

That is all I will say for now.

Donald
BCC give us some more bikeways fore safe travel!!!!
Upgrade the NCL now QR!!!!!!
http://nakedcyclistbrissy.blogspot.com/
My views do not represent any organisation I may be apart of unless otherwise stated

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:52 pm

Riding? I don't think a day or two delay in replying is a big deal.

Andrew
Andrew

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:23 am

Adult footpath cycling is permitted out this way.
Uniform rules allows local councils to go with what works for them.

I rarely use the option, but it's handy to have.

Layered traffic lights would be a great idea, you can DIY if you be so inclined :wink:

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:26 am

I don't know trolls, but....

Having a web definition ready to paste in at a moments notice seems indicative of something, what, I'm not sure.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:49 am

Mulger bill wrote:Adult footpath cycling is permitted out this way.
Is it unrestricted? Here in WA it is only "allowed" if an adult is accompanying a child 12 years or younger.

Andrew
Andrew

biftek

Postby biftek » Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:18 am

Mulger bill wrote:I don't know trolls, but....

Having a web definition ready to paste in at a moments notice seems indicative of something, what, I'm not sure.

Shaun
only takes a 5second google search

kwv

Postby kwv » Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:59 pm

Aushiker wrote:
kwv wrote:As I got a very poor, slow and no response from Brisbane Council especially The CEO and The Lord Mayor, but the cycling Unit of Queensland Transport and The Minister for Transport.
G'day

I don't follow your posting here. Are you saying no response from all the parties mentioned or just some?

Also are the laws being changed to allow cyclists on paths if not accompanied by a child 12 years or younger? Is this your matter of concern?

Regards
Andrew
Hi Andrew,
Depends on who I spoke to as to if I got "a very poor, slow and no response" and the Queensland law allowing all cyclists especially Adults that are not leading children have been around for years.

And this is my concern.

Why are we allowing adults to ride a legal road vehicle on the footpath, when the road rules encourages cyclists to break the law, as proven when for example so many ride straight off the footpath onto a pedestrians crossing such as The Intersection of Vulture and Boundary St West End?

kwv

kwv

Postby kwv » Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:06 pm

beauyboy wrote:I also say troll.

The original comment to me was hostaile and wanting a aggressive response. I get the feeling that there may of been an incident.

That is all I will say for now.

Donald
Donald you should read my comments again, as I was asking an questions and expressing an opinion.

And next time before you reply you should work out the different between being "hostaile and wanting a aggressive response" and asking an questions and expressing an opinion.

But if you cannot, best not to say anything?

kwv

Postby kwv » Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:09 pm

Kalgrm wrote:
kwv is probably waiting to see how we respond and waiting to find out if we are going to insult him or her some more. I think I can understand the reaction, given the icy reception offered.

Cheers,
Graeme
Reading your own comments Graeme, we all can see how you react when you cannot face someone expressing an opinion and asking question, you do not like?

Now got anything useful to write on my opinion or are you going to be ice cold again?