Road surface improvements on Dayboro side of Mt Mee

Pax

Road surface improvements on Dayboro side of Mt Mee

Postby Pax » Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:09 am

The last couple of weeks the council has been re-surfacing patches of the road up Mt Mee. Definite improvement but they seem to have missed some pretty obvious potholes and rough patches.

So its a definite improvement :) but you still have to watch out for holes lurking in the shaddows of trees :shock: especially in on the descent towards the bottom around King Scrub

beanspropulsion

Postby beanspropulsion » Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:28 pm

Will be good, surface is a bit shabby.

I used to laugh that they called it Mount Mee until I cycled up it!

winona_rider

Postby winona_rider » Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:57 pm

i would love to give mt mee a go - can anyone recommend a sub 100k circuit route on bikely for me?

Pax

Postby Pax » Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:33 am

winona_rider wrote:i would love to give mt mee a go - can anyone recommend a sub 100k circuit route on bikely for me?
Mt Mee is a good ride with a number of options.

I've put a couple of links below that start at Lawnton Train station that are in the rough 100k range.

Doing Mt Mee from the Dayboro side is a steady gradual climb with not anything too steep, most of it about 7% or 8% I'd think.

Doing it from D'Aguilar is harder as there is a quite long stretch of 15%.

You can also choose to turn around at various points eg going from the Dayboro side many people stop at Oceanview (top of the main climb), or you can turn right there and do the few hundred meters to the top of Townsend street which is a challenge at 18 - 20%. Or going to the little Villiage of Mt Mee itself adds a few k of undulations. (water and public toilets at Mt Mee and a restraunt where I suspect you could get coffee though I've never tried to get coffee there)

This one goes Dayboro side then goes just past Mt Mee Villliage to get a bit of the 15% descent, then turns back to climb it it is 100K
http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/La ... t-and-back

This one just goes to Mt Mee Villiage
http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/La ... ee-Circuit

This one just goes to OceanView
http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/La ... ng-circuit

This one goes D'Aguilar side. Its a bit longer but you could easily modify it
http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/La ... Carseldine

Hope you give it a go It's a nice ride!

Pax

chris641

Postby chris641 » Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:07 pm

I just rode up the Dayboro side of Mt Mee this morning, I live in Eatons Hill so it was approx a 75k loop. It's probably my favourite climb, you can get into a nice steady rhythm on the way up, I stopped at the intersection at townsend rd which is about 8.5k from the start of Mt Mee rd.

Also the descent (coming back the way I came) is quite enjoyable and good for technical skills as it is pretty windy.

Where abouts do you live winona?

winona_rider

Postby winona_rider » Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:50 am

hey - thanks guys - awsm info.

i live at windsor...so i'd probs come up gympie road, old gympie road...etc
then come back via eatons hill?

chris641

Postby chris641 » Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:56 am

winona_rider wrote:hey - thanks guys - awsm info.

i live at windsor...so i'd probs come up gympie road, old gympie road...etc
then come back via eatons hill?
Yep just keep on following Gympie Road all the way through to Strathpine, and then it turns into Dayboro Road, which you just follow to the base of Mt Mee.

And then you obviously have 2 options for the way back: go back the way you came, or go down Mt Samson Road and then through Eatons Crossing Road... though i must warn you there is a pretty vicious magpie at the beginning of Mt Samson Road.
Fastest Century: 100km in 2:52 at 35 km/h
2008 Merida Scultura Evo Team