Brightest rear red LED light - Recommend please.

Machoman121

Re: Brightest rear red LED light - Recommend please.

Postby Machoman121 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:31 pm

Just read the lastest September Bicycling issue and they said 40% of cyclist accidents were from being struck behind! That was the largest percentage - the 2nd largest was 21% right angle impact. Also interesting was that in the rural area the non-intersection roads (straight roads) had 3.6 times more incidents than at intersections. We were wrong about how much safer it is to ride in the outback with fewer cars and straighter roads !!!!!!

The urban results were more even - intersections had similar number of incidents to non-intersections. And there were more incidents in Urban vs Rural though.

So being rear-ended is a real strong possibility. I'm narrowing my choice down to either the Moon or the ES601 beacon.

softy

Postby softy » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:26 pm

PDW
Danger zone, run two of them on the back with different flashing modes.

Why PDW, they are waterproof, did l say they are waterproof, I have tried a number of moon products, they are not waterproof. If you don't ride in the rain moon are okay.

PDW, Dangerzone, has a unique flash pattern which goes slow then fast, very eye catching. Also the plastic is quality, no brittle plastics that break easy.

Two half watt LED lights which can be seen from the side.
Good peripheral vison for a rear light.

Only thing it is not rechargable, but I bought some AA rechargable batteries for it.

Well thats my suggestion

Machoman121

Postby Machoman121 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:43 pm

Anybody owned a Serfas USL-TL80 TAIL LIGHT? It's rated to 80 lumens! Isn't that very bright? On the box it says visible up to 1 mile !!!!!!

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:04 pm

softy wrote: Why PDW, they are waterproof, did l say they are waterproof, I have tried a number of moon products, they are not waterproof. If you don't ride in the rain moon are okay.

I have a Moon Gem 3.0 tail light and X500 front light and neither have had any issues in the rain.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

ball bearing

Postby ball bearing » Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:54 pm

Not the brightest at 160 Lumens, although it is probably the most feature packed tail light available. The brake sensor might be handy when someone is on my wheel - not sure how the light sensor will be useful to me. The back is machined aluminium which gives the impression of German over-engineering typical of Lupine. The replaceable battery is 8 Eruos.

I was just about to order a Dinotte Quad Red when I found the Lupine Rotlicht and ordered two. I tried to order the Design Shine but they apparently do not ship to Australia and the external battery is a little off-putting.

Best price I found was Bike 24...

http://www.bike24.de/1.php?content=8;na ... 429;lang=2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

cp123

Postby cp123 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:36 pm

http://www.mtbrevolution.com/index.php? ... uct_id=174" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:16 pm

I'd suggest bright over a wide peripheral range rather than just intense brightness.

Even a nog light is bright but not to anyone even a little off to the side where many dangers such as cars will be approaching from. And there are plenty of other bright lights not much better.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

ball bearing

Postby ball bearing » Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:45 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote:I'd suggest bright over a wide peripheral range rather than just intense brightness.

Even a nog light is bright but not to anyone even a little off to the side where many dangers such as cars will be approaching from. And there are plenty of other bright lights not much better.
The 180 beam angle is what sold me on the Lupine Rotlicht plus the amazing brightness control ranging from 0.1 > 2 watt.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:55 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote:I'd suggest bright over a wide peripheral range rather than just intense brightness.

Plus several. "Bright" => "dazzling". Nevermind annoying.

Get a physically large light - that is much more visible than a bright point of light. Especially in the wet and as the sun sets/rise when there's lots of reflections from shiney things.
ball bearing wrote:The 180 beam angle is what sold me on the Lupine Rotlicht plus the amazing brightness control ranging from 0.1 > 2 watt.
Plus auto dimming/inertial brighting. Looks interesting! Even at eighty pounds
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

ball bearing

Postby ball bearing » Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:59 pm

bmoods

Postby bmoods » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:21 pm

I have a set pf Ay ups with red cap that goes over light so it can be used as rear light - very bright.

ball bearing

Postby ball bearing » Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:17 am

ball bearing wrote: I tried to order the Design Shine but they apparently do not ship to Australia and the external battery is a little off-putting.
I contacted Stephen from design Shine and he will ship to Australia. I don't feel safe riding on the main highway with no proper shoulder and 110KPH speed limits. I hope to get my DS-500 my Christmas.

ball bearing

Postby ball bearing » Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:09 am

The DesignShine DS-500 arrived, and what a light it is! I nearly bought a Dinotte Daylight Red and I am so glad that I didn't. This morning at sunrise there was smoke and haze which made visibility looking into the East almost nil. The DesignShine is bright enough to cut through all that - I don't think the Diontte would cut it. That's why a tail light that is capable of over 800 genuine lumens makes sense - you can always turn it down in better conditions.