new S&S Surlys

just4tehhalibut

new S&S Surlys

Postby just4tehhalibut » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:29 am

As mentioned elsewhere Surly recently updated their product page with a sticker for the Trucker Deluxe showing as "while supplies last". This suggested that they were dumping the S&S-coupled 26" Long Haul Trucker frame. This is still showing the sticker but 2 new S&S models have now appeared, the old Travelers Check based on the 700C CrossCheck frame has been revived, there's also a World Troller based on the 26" disc/canti Troll and looking to be a very versatile new travel or "folder" bike. I'd take the World Troller over the Trucker Deluxe, both are 26" but the WT takes wider tyres, more bidon cages, is based on a sturdier compact MTB frame and is Rohloff-ready and suspension-compatible.

They've also updated the LHT and CrossCheck models with new frame colours and components, mainly moved from 9sp to 10sp. And possibly the 29er Krampus is getting pulled.

just4tehhalibut

Re: new S&S Surlys

Postby just4tehhalibut » Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:22 am

Probably a little early for this but I looked around to see who has the new World Troller frame listed, I found AEBike.com has them listed for US$1175 (but gives the specs for the Karate Monkey), only prob is that sales will be in-store only. Other US webshops still selling Surly bikes and frames also now don't have online sales for Surly, JensonUSA says "the manufacturer does not allow this item to be shipped. Click the Store Availability tab below for availability and visit our retail location to make your purchase".

I don't know if SCV Imports. the new distributor for Surly in Australia, will bring in these frames as DirtWorks, the previous distributor, failed to bring in the Trucker Deluxe S&S coupled model. Mind you DirtWorks lost their import contract with QBP in the US probably because of many market decisions like this. If SCV doesn't bring in the new S&S model then short of me taking a holiday in the US or NZ is there another solution if I want a World Troller frame?

Wingnut

Postby Wingnut » Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:19 pm

I bought my Troll frameset online from Jenson...?

just4tehhalibut

Postby just4tehhalibut » Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:31 am

And I'd bought my Trucker Deluxe from JensonUSA last year also. Currently they still sell the Troll but that quote I posted earlier was from the Troll's product page, so no online sales anymore for the Troll and other Surly bikes and frames. The other important thng is that when I bought the Deluxe I was able to get the price down because JensonUSA will price match other online competitors, that won't happen now that they and their competitors can only sell Surlys in store, not online

So, anyone know of a way around the Surly 'buy in store only' block?

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:39 am

just4tehhalibut wrote:And I'd bought my Trucker Deluxe from JensonUSA last year also. Currently they still sell the Troll but that quote I posted earlier was from the Troll's product page, so no online sales anymore for the Troll and other Surly bikes and frames. The other important thng is that when I bought the Deluxe I was able to get the price down because JensonUSA will price match other online competitors, that won't happen now that they and their competitors can only sell Surlys in store, not online

So, anyone know of a way around the Surly 'buy in store only' block?
I've been looking at Salsa (another QBP company) recently and the policy is the same - no online sales. Unless you can a bike shop willing to do a back door sale there the only hope would be if you know somebody in the US to do a pickup. Or find a Euro store with stock.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Wingnut

Postby Wingnut » Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:47 am

The same parent co owns both Salsa & Surly...

Espresso_

Postby Espresso_ » Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:52 am

Wingnut wrote:I bought my Troll frameset online from Jenson...?
What's the damage on postage for a frameset from these guys?

E

just4tehhalibut

Postby just4tehhalibut » Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:40 am

Cost me about US$130 postage for the Deluxe but Bikewagon was doing cheaper postage than Jenson so Jenson price matched that down as well as the frame. I bothered buying from JensonUSA as they sold other bits to suit the Deluxe that I couldn't get from Bikewagon, such as coupling spanners, cable splitters and folding bike bags, so in the long run Jenson got a lot more business from me by price matching. They're way way down on my online shopping list now if I can't buy the frames from them but.

Wingnut

Postby Wingnut » Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:42 am

It was a while ago but wasn't high from memory...maybe $50-$60...

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:09 am

Wingnut wrote:The same parent co owns both Salsa & Surly...
I said that.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Wingnut

Postby Wingnut » Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:12 am

RonK wrote:
I said that.
Oh you did...well done!

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:42 am

RonK wrote:
I said that.
I'm so glad these forums manage to keep on top of the big issues. ;)
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

just4tehhalibut

Postby just4tehhalibut » Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:49 pm

I contacted SCV Imports, the current Surly distributor for Australia, they just replied:
"The World Troller has just been released in the US. It will be a special order only at this stage. Best talk to the guys at Cycles Bespoke in regards to pricing."

(Cycles Bespoke in WA is my nearest dealer).
I pointed out to SCV that the previous distributor Dirtworks chose not to bring in the last S&S-coupled Surly, the Trucker Deluxe (nor has SCV) and this had forced local cyclists to buy directly from the States, sales for the Deluxe outstripping some of the other Surly models that DirtWorks bothered to bring in. SCV have taken note.

Right, I'm off to an LBS for some hunting.

just4tehhalibut

Postby just4tehhalibut » Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:20 am

And Surly no longer list the Trucker Deluxe model, the touring bike with S&S couplings.

They've also removed the Pugsley Special Ops, Ogre 1.0, Troll 1.0 and Karate Monkey models (the original KM singlespeed, non-suspended version, still got the KM Ops with derailleurs and suspension fork up front) but who cares, I mourn the loss of the Deluxe. I've used mine on several long multimode trips where I had to use transport that didn't take bikes, or broken it down to fit into its backpack case (which also breaks down for when you want to ride off) whenever I've had to stay somewhere without good security to leave a bike parked outside. Put it inside its case or stash it in a luggage locker and no one sees a bike. More freedom than just a touring bike.
And in case you're wondering here's a picture of my Trucker Deluxe.

Wingnut

Postby Wingnut » Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:42 pm

I'd love to transfer all my gear off my Troll to a Pugsley...obviously not the rims/tyers...

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:09 pm

I'm very tempted by the World Troller.

Very keen to hear any updates on price and availability.

http://www.rohloff.de/en/service/bikese ... index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

Wingnut

Postby Wingnut » Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:46 pm

Rifraf...you can get S & S couplers installed for about $700...I think a bit cheaper than the new frame...

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:09 am

Wingnut wrote:Rifraf...you can get S & S couplers installed for about $700...I think a bit cheaper than the new frame...
Hiya,
yeah plus the cost of a paint job and thats if you can get any of the so called retro fitters to answer your bloody emails.
I gave up in the end due to a lack of response.
I even tried someone in the USA recommended by Gypsy by Trade but again no response to my emails (yes I checked my spambot) so after some attempts I simply gave up. :(

Wingnut

Postby Wingnut » Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:15 am

I would guess that Gellie Custom or Kumo Cycles would do them but postage etc would just up the price too from WA...

just4tehhalibut

Postby just4tehhalibut » Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:51 am

I've been told by Cycles Bespoke in Bayswater (a Surly dealer for WA) that they can do the World Troller for $1750 plus freight. Freight would get a lot cheaper if the Troller order gets packed into one of the regular six-times-a-year shipments. Can't order yet as not available to order, and I'd like to see what prices will be like after it starts shipping. $1750 is reasonable considering the US price is US$1175 plus US postage.

And Surly have changed the spec slightly in the past few days, so maybe they aren't shipping for a while yet.

just4tehhalibut

Postby just4tehhalibut » Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:06 am

Hokay, so 2 weeks ago I asked Surly a bunch of questions and haven't had a reply.
The first was that the Troller was rumoured to be coming out now in June or July - soon after my email this article came out on BROL, "Why Your New Trike or Bike May Be Delayed". I'm not sure if that affects this model but either way it looks like a long wait.

Also, unlike their previous S&S coupled models this Troller allows for disc brakes, so they've happily gone ahead and spec'd full brake and derailleur cable housing guides only, no cable stops on the frame except maybe for the top pull front derailleur. This means that you have nowhere to use cable splitters, brake or derailleur. Cable splitters are mentioned on the user guide that will ship with the frames, just nothing about how they'll now work. I'm looking round for a solution, even a 3D printer, if Surly doesn't come back with one. I guess the good news on that one is that I probably have until June or July to solve it.

just4tehhalibut

Postby just4tehhalibut » Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:53 am

I got an email from Surly today to say that the World Troller model will "hopefully be available for sale by the end of the month". As to when the frame will be available in Australia or through your favourite non-US seller (or US reshipper) we'll find out eventually. Since I blew my Troller savings and floor space in the showroom on an ECR I'll have to sell off a LHT pronto.

You may also notice that they've changed a few models this week, the Troll has a new colour (and a typo about 29er tyres when it'll remain 26" - I've told them) and the basic non-suspension Karate Monkey is back. Their blog has some details.

Wingnut

Postby Wingnut » Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:48 am

I like the t shirts...

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:13 pm

I saw a nice ECR in another forum with a custom fit S&S couplers.
What impressed me was that they were able to retain the bottle cage mounts underneath the down tube.

Pics in post #15 (uppermost) and post #18
http://forums.mtbr.com/surly/troll-worl ... 47808.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

just4tehhalibut

Postby just4tehhalibut » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:35 pm

Well the Surly website now shows the World Troller as available and some US shops show it as 'in stock'. Casting about to see where I can buy one.