Try the track Friday

RideLikeTheWind

Try the track Friday

Postby RideLikeTheWind » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:41 pm

Pretty excited - going out to a Try the Track session on Friday, 2:30 - 5:00. I am used to riding on the road and trails - never been on the velodrome before. I think I have the legs for it!

dalai47

Re: Try the track Friday

Postby dalai47 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:12 am

Nice. You will love it! Just remember a couple of golden rules...

1. Don't stop pedaling!
2. Be predictable.
3. Don't stop pedaling!

QuangVuong

Postby QuangVuong » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:26 am

Is this at DGV? I wonder when Bankstown council will hold a free track day for everyone to test track out.

I've been on the Merrylands track, but on a road bike so that doesn't really count, and the banking is nothing compared to DGV.
VillaVelo, by the Vuong brothers

Blog: https://villaveloframes.wordpress.com/
FB & IG: @villaveloframes

RideLikeTheWind

Postby RideLikeTheWind » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:36 pm

Good advice dalai47! I have heard it can be a bit disconcerting at first, but I have ridden fixed before so it should be ok.

Yes, at DCG - it's far from free but I think it's worth it. If I really enjoy it I might look to join a club or ride more regularly, just have to scrounge some $ together for a bike :)

michael_w

Postby michael_w » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:06 pm

Sunday 16th March is the quarterly try the track day at DISC in Darebin (Melbourne). I'm just after a bit more info as I've wanted to try it for ages and hope I can fit it in thht weekend.

Have a great time and tell us about your exploits RideLikeTheWind

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:40 pm

You will enjoy it.

Just remember to be predictable, keep turning the pedals. Start out on the inner section, move around to the back straight and then onto the duck boards and then up onto the black line. The black line is where the bike will feel more natural. Look ahead maybe 10 metres from where you are - that will help with keeping steady lines.

If you go up on the banking, keep the speed up above 30km/h - they say you can go slower than that, but I wouldn't chance it. It's a long way down. I've also heard people say to avoid looking down when you are up high on the banking. I think that's probably right, but you get used to it and it eventually won't put your senses out.
RideLikeTheWind wrote:I think I have the legs for it!
When it comes to picking up the speed big time, that's when you'll find out if you've got the legs for it. It's an awesome track to ride on. It's an even bigger buzz when you get on there in a race with 20 other fast riders in a suspiciously fast C grade.
michael_w wrote:Sunday 16th March is the quarterly try the track day at DISC in Darebin (Melbourne). I'm just after a bit more info as I've wanted to try it for ages and hope I can fit it in thht weekend.

Have a great time and tell us about your exploits RideLikeTheWind
If it is anything like DGV, similar stuff will apply.

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:26 pm

g-boaf wrote:If it is anything like DGV, similar stuff will apply.
It is, except we don't have the big painted logos which are even more slippery...

@Michael_w - if you want to see a bit of action before rolling around on the Sunday, next Wednesday through to Saturday are the National Masters Track Championships at DISC. 8)

KGB

Postby KGB » Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:36 pm

Awesome, get into it!
30km/h is plenty fast enough to stop you slipping down, I'd happily go slower. Then again, being indoors makes it a lot easier to cruise along at 30 compared to outdoors so you shouldn't have to try too hard to keep the pace up.

RideLikeTheWind

Postby RideLikeTheWind » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:32 pm

Thanks g-boaf - I appreciate it.

I'll put a report up after the session tomorrow. :)

RideLikeTheWind

Postby RideLikeTheWind » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:32 pm

So today was the day!

First off, it was everything I expected and more. Without a doubt, one of the more exciting things I have done.

After arriving, Barrie took me to get a bike sorted out - a very orange Hillbrick Pista. A short walk to the track and fitment of pedals and off we went. Basic first laps on the concrete at the bottom, just to get used to the fixed gear. Onto the duck boards and a bit faster, which is actually a little more tricky than it looks - it's basically flat so you have to turn, but it does bank at the edge so for the first lap, it can be a little disconcerting.

After a few laps, I came to a stop for a little breather and then back out onto the track. Up to the black line and a bit faster. All good, so out to the red line. The track, when you're going at about 30-35, is not as steep as you might think. It feels way safer than it looks.

After a while, out to the blue line, then some rolling starts. Some movement up and down the track to get a feel for the slope. After a while, out to the fence and run the fence the whole way around. At this point, I absolutely salute all track riders. TO hold that line, up the bank, is seriously hard core. Muscle burn to the max.

After a few laps, I started to practice going up the bend to change from the from the front of the line to the back, although there was no-one else on the track :)

About 1hrs 45 mins in total and a great day. I will add a video below of me on the blue line. Great day out - definitely going to do it again some time.

Oh, and there were a few para-lympians out too - good fun to watch them ride around!

Cheers!

Last edited by RideLikeTheWind on Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.

KGB

Postby KGB » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:41 pm

Bravo!
Look for a track bike before RAW winter series starts, Crafty runs a "novice" grade which is packed with rookies so you don't have to be worried about embarassing yourself. He usually chants repeatedly "dont stop pedalling, don't stop pedalling" as the race finishes too - its easy to forget as you slump across the finish line as a beginner!

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:47 pm

Chase a motor bike around one at 70kmh and you will really know what a buzz is!!!!!!!!!!!! :mrgreen: :lol:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

RideLikeTheWind

Postby RideLikeTheWind » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:55 pm

KGB wrote:Bravo!
Look for a track bike before RAW winter series starts, Crafty runs a "novice" grade which is packed with rookies so you don't have to be worried about embarassing yourself. He usually chants repeatedly "dont stop pedalling, don't stop pedalling" as the race finishes too - its easy to forget as you slump across the finish line as a beginner!
Sounds like a plan! I am currently pushing N+1 but... maybe I can sell some stuff.. lol

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:50 pm

Track bikes are a lot cheaper than road bikes, so that's one thing in your favour.

Good that you enjoyed it.

KGB

Postby KGB » Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:52 pm

And they should be especially cheap now off anybody is offloading one since its the end of the track season.

Gunlock

Postby Gunlock » Fri Dec 26, 2014 6:55 pm

Thread revival - Does anyone know when the try the track sessions will be running again next year? Super keen to give the track a run.

Sent from my GT-P6810 using Tapatalk 2

QuangVuong

Postby QuangVuong » Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:01 pm

http://nsw.cycling.org.au/Track/Try-The-Track" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I just started out on track too. Good fun. Will have to try DGV soon. You can also join LACC or DHBC on one of their track training sessions. The Lidcombe and Canterbury tracks aren't as steep as DGV.

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:24 pm

Gunlock, since you are in Vic this is the link to check http://vic.cycling.org.au/Track/Come-N- ... k-Sessions though no dates have been posted for 2015. I'd contact Craig Eastwood via the details on that page to find out.

Are you a member of club yet? If not, consider Blackburn CC. The velodrome is local to you and they do have novice sessions on Thursday's and Saturdays http://www.bbn.org.au/summer-training-sessions.html with a number of club bikes available to use. Once you have been to a few sessions and got your skills up, there is also racing there Saturday afternoons through Summer.

Gunlock

Postby Gunlock » Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:42 pm

dalai47 wrote:Gunlock, since you are in Vic this is the link to check http://vic.cycling.org.au/Track/Come-N- ... k-Sessions though no dates have been posted for 2015. I'd contact Craig Eastwood via the details on that page to find out.

Are you a member of club yet? If not, consider Blackburn CC. The velodrome is local to you and they do have novice sessions on Thursday's and Saturdays http://www.bbn.org.au/summer-training-sessions.html with a number of club bikes available to use. Once you have been to a few sessions and got your skills up, there is also racing there Saturday afternoons through Summer.
Thanks Dalai, i did check that page but as you said, no dates as yet.

Im a Hawthorn CC member but plan to contact Blackburn in a couple of days to chat about their novice track sessions. I raced their TT series this year and they put on a pretty good day.

Sent from my GT-P6810 using Tapatalk 2

KGB

Postby KGB » Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:44 am

QV, I think canterbury/tempe is pretty much the same banking as DGV. It does feel a little less intimidating though since its bigger and feels more open. Plus, I don't think I've ever seen anyone slip down tempe since it's concrete.

Gunlock

Postby Gunlock » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:56 am

Had my first roll around the track last night at Blackburn and had a blast. I was surprised how little i even noticed the banked corners once you're out there.

Looking forward to getting into some rolling turns with the bunch next week.

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:13 pm

Gunlock wrote:Had my first roll around the track last night at Blackburn and had a blast. I was surprised how little i even noticed the banked corners once you're out there.

Looking forward to getting into some rolling turns with the bunch next week.
Hi Gunlock,

I bet the track at Blackburn hasn't changed much over the years so here is my tip, keep your head up.

I've done quite a few laps of this track whilst training solo and there is a quirk that only really becomes apparent when you are tired and only looking at the track 2m in front of you. If you consider the track as having 4 bends, turn 4 is a little tighter than turn 3, the effect of this is that you tend to rise up the track, sometimes as far as from the black line to the red. Then to compound the problem the turn ends sharply, and the banking pushes you down the track. I've seen quite a few races there finish on the duckboards.

As with all riding, you will ride a much more consistent line if you look where you are going.

Cheers,

Cameron

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:51 am

QuangVuong wrote:http://nsw.cycling.org.au/Track/Try-The-Track

I just started out on track too. Good fun. Will have to try DGV soon. You can also join LACC or DHBC on one of their track training sessions. The Lidcombe and Canterbury tracks aren't as steep as DGV.
LACC training is on Wednesday nights - juniors out first, seniors a bit later. I hope to be there myself tonight, weather permitting.

QuangVuong

Try the track Friday

Postby QuangVuong » Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:28 am

I know, I've been out training with them a couple times. Kids finish up about 7, and seniors start at about 7:30. Get there early enough(before senior training) and you'll get to see me on a unique and illegal track bike.