Lynskey Cooper CX / CMT for commuting (all rounder)

queequeg

Re: Lynskey Cooper CX / CMT for commuting (all rounder)

Postby queequeg » Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:12 am

Drizt wrote:
I'm now looking at getting something similar myself (will wait to thoroughly test out my wifes new bike first). I actually wanted a Sportive Disc as well but not sure we should be 'that couple' with matching bikes. Looking into the Kona Rove Ti frameset and building it up with similar spec's. Anyone have any thoughts on the Kona Rove Ti ?
The Kona Rove Ti is built by Lynskey :-)
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

Drizt

Postby Drizt » Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:47 am

I know ;) was more asking about the design / geometry in comparison

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:26 pm

Drizt wrote: ...an hour with Andy from bike pro doing a fit up...
Sorry for the highjack but what are your thoughts on his fit up process?

I need to get my wife to a bike fitter, have one in mind but Andy is just around the corner from my home.

Drizt

Postby Drizt » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:28 pm

Andy definitely knows his stuff and is willing to put in the time. I struggle with accents a lot so that is something to consider.

I guess the proof is in the pudding. Once Jen gets her bike we will access how well it fits.

clackers

Postby clackers » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:36 pm

Drizt wrote:Andy definitely knows his stuff and is willing to put in the time. I struggle with accents a lot so that is something to consider.
You can talk to his young sidekick about a number of issues.

My wife and I got matching steel CXes made up by BikePro.

Drizt

Postby Drizt » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:37 pm

Yes nick is very helpful.

sobmal

Postby sobmal » Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:38 am

sobmal wrote:From my experience Lynskey bikes are great quality and they stand behind their products, the only issue is that warranty returns are annoying due to shipping times.
I'd buy another Lynskey without question.
Never had an issue with bike pro either.
Well... just following up on my own post.

My Lynskey R230 frame cracked back in October after just 6796 kilometers careful use (no potholes that would damage anything and 0 crashes.. very nearly went under a cement truck once though.. but yes its had a easy life) yes indeed it is being repaired for free (I pay shipping Sydney to bikepro in Melbourne), but the turn around time is absolutely killing me :-(

Please Santa.. may I have my bike back for Xmas?

Drizt

Postby Drizt » Wed Dec 24, 2014 3:11 pm

Repaired or replaced?

I'd be demanding a replacement frame.

Edit: Where did it crack? Do you have some photo's you can share?

gabrielle260

Postby gabrielle260 » Wed Dec 24, 2014 4:27 pm

My Lynskey 29er frame cracked around the seat tube/top tube junction. A known issue - later models had reinforcement there. I sent it back to the U.S. and they repaired it by putting on a whole new back triangle. When I got it back I discovered I needed a new seatpost as the diameter had changed but they wouldn't do anything to help me other than offering to sell me one of their Ti posts. I wasn't overly happy but I haven't had a problem since.
If you google lynskey frame cracking you can see some great photos of their old frames cracked in the same spot.
Sobmal - if yours cracked in the same spot it's possible you have been sold old stock as this was now 3 yrs ago.
Andrew

sobmal

Postby sobmal » Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:40 am

I got my R230 frame back, it's the exact same frame repaired, looks brand new again; the wonders of titanium!

It came back with beefier chain stays, can't tell if the seat stays are the old ones.. but apparently the newer 230's have stronger chain stays, I think mine was originally a 2011 or 2012 frame?

Can't fault these guys for their repair or service, the fact is that it just takes a while to turn around a frame repaired on the other side of the world.

Now I have another problem.. do I simply put old components back on or treat it to some new parts..?

Drizt

Postby Drizt » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:37 am

Where about's did it break? Was it at a weld? Got any pictures?

sobmal

Postby sobmal » Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:44 pm

Crack was NDS chainstay, lengthways about 15cm long on the dropout end bottom side, and a smaller one on the topside

On the lower spec frames (as is the R320) apparently the smaller tubes are not extruded, they are rolled flat sheets and then welded top and bottom.

Drizt

Postby Drizt » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:01 pm

That is not good at all.

Looking at my bike (2014 sportive disc) the only place I could imaging breaking would be the chain stays. The main triangle is strong as hell.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:52 am

My Cooper CX (2011) has now put in close to 30,000km of commuting, and as the destroyer of two alloy frames prior to getting the Lynskey, I'd say it has passed the "suitability for task" test that my Trek bikes failed miserably.
The Cooper CX has pretty big tubing, and I can't imagine any of it cracking. Both of my Trek bikes snapped where the seat tube meets the bottom bracket shell. The actual tubing broke above the weld, so this is what I have been paying close attention to on the Lynskey. It still looks as good as new (when I wash the dirt off anyway!).
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

sobmal

Postby sobmal » Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:29 pm

I expect that my rebuilt R230 will now roll on for a long time to come.

My Ridgeline has several thousand K's of XC rides and races on it, from smooth berms to rough old bone rattling teeth filling removing rocky descents, a quick wash and it looks like new!