Grasshopper FX - I'm convinced ;)

Velorossi

Grasshopper FX - I'm convinced ;)

Postby Velorossi » Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:14 pm

Anyone who is considering buying a versatile and easy to learn recumbent should look no further than a HPVelotechnik Grasshopper FX… (OK, I might be a little biased), what a great little green machine. I've only had mine for a few small rides so far (about 100km) and already it's performed everything I've asked of it and delivered a super wide grin the whole time.

Yes it's a fair bit slower than my Performer High Racer (not to mention the Zockra), but it's so much more relaxing to ride (disclaimer: may cause excessively rapid heart rate and near muscle failure if climbing more than 10% grades for extended periods… yep it's proper heavy).

Anyone out there have one of these gems too?

Cheers,
Velorossi

Cheesewheel

Re: Grasshopper FX - I'm convinced ;)

Postby Cheesewheel » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:04 pm

I've had my eye on one of these but thats about all.

Are you saying it has performance issues going uphill beyond the regular performance issues associated with bents?

IYHO is it more of an urban runabout than a workable model for touring?
Go!Run!GAH!

Velorossi

Postby Velorossi » Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:19 pm

The Grasshopper has no real issues that I can find in my first 200km, yes the hills are slower than my Performer and Zockra, no surprises there. The real surprise is that it is just a joy to ride everywhere, the suspension is just so good at removing both general road buzz and even quite large bumps that it has become my general purpose bike of choice. The biggest plus in my book is the ease at which you can ride it at sub walking speed while negotiating obstacles (both mobile and stationary).
While cruising is quite possible at 27km/h I think I'm most comfortable in the 22-25km/h zone (Although I hit the local Crit Track at 35km/h average for a few Km's just to try it out at speed ;))
Love it.

BNAPoe

Postby BNAPoe » Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:14 am

Hi Velorossi.
How's that Grasshopper going? I am considering buying one. Any issues? Made the right choice? Where did you get it from?
Thanks

burnt

Postby burnt » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:31 am

You should of grabbed Riggsbie's Vortex!

Welcome to recumbent trikes! No going back now! As well as my Mango, I have a Greenspeed GT3, it's one of my utility rides as well, I have been thinking of an upgrade to a trike with suspension, I'll have to check the Grasshopper out!

Photos would be good :P

burnt

Postby burnt » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:50 am

Oops, a tad embarrassed when I find out the Grasshopper is a bike recumbent!!

I'm just off to the naughty corner-as you were!

Riggsbie

Postby Riggsbie » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:07 pm

Hehehehe......pay attention burnt !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Riggsbie

Postby Riggsbie » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:09 pm

I had a ride and must say it is the easiest recumbent two wheeler on the planet to ride....even easier than a Bacchetta !

Rossi has just converted his Grasshopper to underseat steering.....now.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Bon

Postby Bon » Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:44 pm

Bump. Have been looking at one of these and was hoping it was a bit quicker. 90% of my riding is a hilly 20k commute to work and I'm interested in a bent but want to keep the commute to a comfortable 45-50 minutes or so. I also want to tour though and the folding option of this model is attractive. I can't afford multiple bikes...

just4tehhalibut

Postby just4tehhalibut » Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:42 am

Another option is the ICE B1 bike and there's one on Gumtrees now in Canberra, going for half what I paid for mine. 20" wheels, folds (this one has the last version of the folding mechanism from 2010 when they stopped making them), has rear suspension, adjustable at seat, bars and front boom, rolls so light. Only option is above-seat-steering, no underseat whereas the Grasshopper can be set up for either.
I have travelled on a business trip interstate with mine dismantled down to fit inside a duffel bag. Mine had the older version of the folding rear though so this one might pack a little different, if that matters to you.

Bon

Postby Bon » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:37 pm

How do you find it - quick? I know its all a bit relative and there are all sorts of variables but I want something that feels fairly speedy on the commute a bit like a road bike is vs a cheapo hybrid but is also fairly tour capable (short tours only).

just4tehhalibut

Postby just4tehhalibut » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:09 pm

I only suggested the ICE as it's similar to the Grasshopper. I've used my B1 around Perth and Adelaide for day trips only, I stowed away the rear rack and just used a seatbag. It is a fairly light bike and feels like you're gliding on feathers, the rack just detracts from that. You could commute or short-tour on it but the ride is more comfort than speed. The same as with the FX the B1 has 20" wheels and gearing that doesn't involve an extra large chainring to compensate for the smaller wheels, both are tourers so why would they? Note that the B1 only uses elastomer blocks for the rear suspension, the FX uses a shock unit and front suspension forks, higher bottom bracket-to-seat, has a choice of seats and steerage, extra rack mounts for a lowrider midrack; if you pass up on the bargain B1 and go for the FX you can build up a better bike for touring as long as you don't mind the lots of extra $$$. Either way you'd have a tourer that folds.

However most of the recumbent commuters that I've seen in Perth go for something more hardcore, recumbents can give an aerodynamic advantage and most riders are going recumbent to maximise this, riding mid- or lowracers or trikes. Having a light bike or one that folds is not on the shopping list as much as one that is fast, has little frame flex, can handle the Fremantle Doctor headwind on the way home, gearing to suit. If part of your commute involves hopping on a train perhaps the fold might be handy but neither the B1 or FX have a quick fold that will let you stow it under a seat on a peak hour train, the quick fold is more for stowing the boot of a car. And if you tend to compete in the Commuter Cup in a hilly area I'd look more at a bike that is stiff, little flex, not so much suspension, nada fold.

just4tehhalibut

Postby just4tehhalibut » Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:41 pm

There's a Grasshopper just popped up on GumNutz, not the FX model but might be attractive for someone wanting a dual-20. Interesting lighting setup and battery mount.

burnt

Postby burnt » Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:19 pm

I just picked up a Grasshopper (non folding) and just completed a 60km ride this morning, what a great, comfortable ride. Very impressed, it would be a great touring bike, hopefully I'll be testing that hypothesis sooner than later!

Still on a learning curve, but was able to ride straight off, however had 2 falls starting uphill-only damage done to my pride! After 60km I felt fresh as a daisy, tired legs but the rest of the body was feeling fine, especially my neck!