Canning Stock Route - July-August 2011

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:34 pm

Hi

Martijn Boonman (AT) Harmattan Cycling has posted on his ride of the Canning Stock Route, which he completed in July - August, 2011 in 31 days unsupported. Further details at his website. He rode his Surly Pugsley pulling a modified BOB trailer (sort of Extrawheel).

Andrew

CommuRider

Re: Canning Stock Route - July-August 2011

Postby CommuRider » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:16 pm

Loved the photos.

Tourism Australia should take a look at CSR bike vets - want to go somewhere extreme? Here's a route for you that traverses through a couple of deserts.
Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.

saronmcm1

Postby saronmcm1 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:43 pm

Thanks for the link.
Do you think that you could use a 26 inch fat wheel in a bob ibex trailer with mods?

Cheers
Saron

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:01 pm

saronmcm1 wrote:Do you think that you could use a 26 inch fat wheel in a bob ibex trailer with mods?
It would produce a trailer with a tilted cargo bed, unless you make quite significant changes to the back end to raise the height of the axle slots. The Extrawheel has other handling advantages any way that make it superior to the BOB.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:24 pm

il padrone wrote:The Extrawheel has other handling advantages any way that make it superior to the BOB.
I can't see that heavy-duty Extrawheel on their site. I'm sure it was there before. Maybe they don't make it anymore.

Ah, I found it - it's amongst the fastening fork options in the shop. Hmmm, no, that just for towing with a Pugsley. Where is the fat tyre trailer?
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Wingnut

Postby Wingnut » Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:22 pm

il padrone wrote:
saronmcm1 wrote:Do you think that you could use a 26 inch fat wheel in a bob ibex trailer with mods?
It would produce a trailer with a tilted cargo bed, unless you make quite significant changes to the back end to raise the height of the axle slots. The Extrawheel has other handling advantages any way that make it superior to the BOB.
I guess it all depends on what you want to carry? The Extrawheel maybe easier to tow but two pannier bags vs a trailer that can carry a 90ltr bag plus more strapped on top...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk... ;-)

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:31 pm

Wingnut wrote:The Extrawheel maybe easier to tow but two pannier bags vs a trailer that can carry a 90ltr bag plus more strapped on top...
Jakub Postrzygacz found the Extrawheel approriate for his 2005 crossing on the Canning Stock Route.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:44 pm

Wingnut wrote:
il padrone wrote:It would produce a trailer with a tilted cargo bed, unless you make quite significant changes to the back end to raise the height of the axle slots. The Extrawheel has other handling advantages any way that make it superior to the BOB.
I guess it all depends on what you want to carry? The Extrawheel maybe easier to tow but two pannier bags vs a trailer that can carry a 90ltr bag plus more strapped on top...
Yes the Extrawheel only carries two panniers (~40L). However I always use it with other bags. My bike will carry 110L in front and rear panniers, rack-top drybag and a handlebar bag - stable and smooth handling on roads rough and smooth. Using the Extrawheel I can add another 40L to this (I did this on the Oodnadatta Track).

The one time I tried to load up the BOB for a big tour (using trailerbag with rucksack on top plus handlebar bag and rackbag) it was so destabilising to the bike that I made last minute changes to the luggage arrangements - to the above set-up of four panniers...... and found I now had one front pannier empty :o . The BOB, even on a loaded bike (where it is overall a bit more stable in handling and braking), is a cow of a thing to manouvre at slow speed or when walking. It readily jacknifes on you (into the 'park-stand' position) and is very difficult to straighten up. In contrast the Extrawheel is no trouble. The long tow-arm length and the weight placement is the source of this problem - Extrawheel has all weight over the wheel, rather than on the pivot.

These guys have moved from using BOBs to using Extrawheels

Mandatory helmet law?

Wingnut

Postby Wingnut » Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:00 pm

I like the look of the Extrawheel but the deal-breaker for me was the inability to be able to carry my surfboard or massage table. I have read many good things about them but some bad too, such as the flexibility of the frame which can be quite a bit when carrying a significant load.

Maybe I'll look into one in the future... :wink:

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:40 pm

Wingnut wrote:I like the look of the Extrawheel but the deal-breaker for me was the inability to be able to carry my surfboard or massage table.

Then it sounds like you really need the Xtracycle with Longloader

Wingnut wrote:the flexibility of the frame which can be quite a bit when carrying a significant load.
This has happened to me on some occasions - surprisingly only on good sealed roads. It is more to do with harmonics setting up a rythm, at certain speeds only, where there is a bit of a ripple in the tarmac. It never became any hazard, and I solved it quite easily by packing lighter, bulky things in the Extracycle and putting the heavy items in the bike's panniers. On gravel roads it did not occur.
Mandatory helmet law?

Wingnut

Postby Wingnut » Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:48 pm

I have to say the Extrawheel looks like fun though!

Uncle Just

Postby Uncle Just » Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:49 pm

Opinion piece in today's Age challenging some history of the CSR...http://www.theage.com.au/opinion/societ ... 1mzvw.html

Wingnut

Postby Wingnut » Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:07 pm

Uncle Just wrote:Opinion piece in today's Age challenging some history of the CSR...http://www.theage.com.au/opinion/societ ... 1mzvw.html
Canning wasn't really a nice bloke...

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:18 pm

Wingnut wrote:
Uncle Just wrote:Opinion piece in today's Age challenging some history of the CSR...http://www.theage.com.au/opinion/societ ... 1mzvw.html
Canning wasn't really a nice bloke...
In the standards of the day he was probably a "jolly nice chap" :|
Mandatory helmet law?

Wingnut

Postby Wingnut » Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:35 pm

I would gather the Koori didn't think he was too jolly :?:

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:30 pm

More about Canning's expedition and methods here. It was known of and inquired into at the time via a Royal Commission.
Canning's use of Aboriginal guides came under scrutiny after the survey was completed. The expedition's cook, Edward Blake, objected to the practice of chaining guides and claimed that Aboriginal people were cruelly treated. He criticised the survey party's 'immoral' pursuit of Aboriginal women, the theft and 'unfair' trade of Aboriginal property and the destruction of native waters. These complaints led in 1908 to a royal commission into the 'Treatment of Natives by the Canning Exploration Party'.

During the hearings, however, it was Blake's word against the team's, and he was unable to prove many of his claims. Despite condemning the use of chains, the royal commission cleared Canning and his men of all charges and approved immediate commencement of the stock route's construction.
Mandatory helmet law?

elStado

Postby elStado » Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:12 pm

il padrone wrote:
Wingnut wrote:I like the look of the Extrawheel but the deal-breaker for me was the inability to be able to carry my surfboard or massage table.

I've looked into this option as I'd like to be able to take the train down the coast and then cycle the remaining 7-15km to a surf beach out of the city instead of having to wait around for a bus.

I found it interesting though that all of the cycle touring surfers have all used trailers and not these longer bikes. Is it ignorance of other options, or had they done their research and found the trailer options to be a better choice for touring with large, long items like a surfboard?
Check out my practical cycling and cycle touring website: VELOPHILE AUSTRALIA

saronmcm1

Postby saronmcm1 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:12 pm

Hi, if anyone's knows someone who has done the CSR or any other desert track this year could you please post link or ride report.
Cheers

Canning Walker

Postby Canning Walker » Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:15 pm

http://www.canningwalker.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:41 am

Missed this news report from September ...

Andrew

Wingnut

Postby Wingnut » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:37 pm

elStado wrote:
il padrone wrote:

I've looked into this option as I'd like to be able to take the train down the coast and then cycle the remaining 7-15km to a surf beach out of the city instead of having to wait around for a bus.

I found it interesting though that all of the cycle touring surfers have all used trailers and not these longer bikes. Is it ignorance of other options, or had they done their research and found the trailer options to be a better choice for touring with large, long items like a surfboard?
Custom Fat bike by Bilenky Cycle Works...surfboard on the back...

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:35 am

elStado wrote:
Assuming surfing hasn't changed too much since I was a teenager in that often the formula was big swell with off-shore wind if memory serves.
The wind aspect I imagine would have a potential negative impact on a board layed on its side across-ways making the combo somewhat less than aerodynamic.
A decent cross gust could be catastrophic on an extra long bike :shock:

When I thought about this post I was thinking of the surfboard being on the side in place of two panniers and not on top as per Wingnuts pic of the fatback

I wonder even with just the four rearward panniers what the bike would handle like in gusty side winds.

Saying that, Landscapecadmonkey's Big Dummy that was in the for sale forum threads was awfully tempting.
I'm thankful it was in Queensland and thus too far to contemplate.
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=81669&p=1216972&hi ... y#p1216972" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.