IS the shi*t about to hit the fan?.

toolonglegs

IS the shi*t about to hit the fan?.

Postby toolonglegs » Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:23 am

There seems to be a rumor going around that up to 30 riders from 4 teams are going to have all their bloods retested by the French dopage controls due to anomalies during the tour....and that they are pretty sure a large % of these will come back postitve!.

Matt_Matt

Postby Matt_Matt » Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:04 am

30 riders .......where did you hear that ?

:shock:

sogood

Postby sogood » Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:50 am

Actually, they should test them all, every one of their samples. Gamblers will only stop if they know that they have no chance.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

rider06

Postby rider06 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:53 am

Actually, they should test them all, every one of their samples. Gamblers will only stop if they know that they have no chance.
Unfortunately, many gamblers don't stop even though they have no chance - hence pubs/clubs full of f'ing poker machines

I agree though, that they all should be tested & a 2 year ban is not sufficient
Rehab is for quitters!

sogood

Postby sogood » Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:08 am

rider06 wrote:Unfortunately, many gamblers don't stop even though they have no chance - hence pubs/clubs full of f'ing poker machines
Actually, there is chance with those pokie machines and that's how people get hooked.

RICHARDH

Postby RICHARDH » Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:15 pm

i heard that they were re-testing 14 or 15 samples probably not all diffferent riders. 30 seems like alot in these days of the 'Clean Peleton"
We are stuck with technology when what we really want is just stuff that works (Douglas Adams)

Chuck

Re: IS the shi*t about to hit the fan?.

Postby Chuck » Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:52 pm

toolonglegs wrote:There seems to be a rumor going around that up to 30 riders from 4 teams are going to have all their bloods retested by the French dopage controls due to anomalies during the tour....and that they are pretty sure a large % of these will come back postitve!.

:roll: :x
FPR Ragamuffin

RICHARDH

Postby RICHARDH » Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:49 pm

this is from another forum bad for australia if there is any truth to this which personally i very much doubt

sod it here you go, the source is the newspaper Gazet van Antwerpen, hopefully its !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! because this is the stuff of nightmares

Ag2R: Valjavec en nog één renner uit de Tourselectie (Efimkin, Dessel, Arrieta, Dupont, Elmiger, Gadret, Goubert, Riblon).

Saunier Duval: Ricco, Piepoli, Cobo.

Team Columbia: twee renners uit de Tourselectie (Kirchen, Hincapie, Burghardt, Cavendish, Ciolek, Eisel, Hansen, Lovkvist, Siutsou).

CSC: vijf renners uit de Tourselectie (Cancellara, Fränk Schleck, O’Grady, Voigt, Gustov, Sastre, Arvesen, Andy Schleck, Sörensen).

Gerolsteiner: twee renners uit de Tourselectie (Schumacher, Kohl, Förster, Fothen, Haussler, Krauss, Lang, Scholz, Wegmann).

edit for link - http://www.gva.be/nieuws/sport/wielrenn ... 9CA76ED994}

again i think this is probably complete crap
We are stuck with technology when what we really want is just stuff that works (Douglas Adams)

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

ShAUMN

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:43 pm

Please let this be unfounded, any more than one positive will pretty much destroy the sport.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

sittingbison

Postby sittingbison » Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:02 pm

oh dear, this Antwerp newspaper is actually quoting the 'respected' Italian sporting paper gazzetta della sport. I think similar to l'Equipe. sigh :(

I have translated the article, it says there are one rider from the AG2R list, two from the Columbia list, five from the CSC list and two from the Gerolsteiner list, not ALL those names listed.
I have a cunning plan, as cunning as a fox who's just been appointed Professor of Cunning at Oxford University

sogood

Re: ShAUMN

Postby sogood » Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:25 pm

Mulger bill wrote:Please let this be unfounded, any more than one positive will pretty much destroy the sport.
The world economy has tanked, might as well let cycling tank. Only then will a phoenix rise from the ashes... :wink:

chris641

Postby chris641 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:33 pm

Any of these would be quite shocking... If its Mark Cavendish that would be awful because he was reinvigorating the sprinting game. Also any of those well respected cyclists (Hincapie, Cancellara, Schleck, Sastre) would be a disaster... I hope its not true.
Fastest Century: 100km in 2:52 at 35 km/h
2008 Merida Scultura Evo Team

sittingbison

Postby sittingbison » Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:49 pm

Looking at the CSC list, its pretty clear who the four with an easy conscience are. phew :roll:
I have a cunning plan, as cunning as a fox who's just been appointed Professor of Cunning at Oxford University

Tom Marius

Postby Tom Marius » Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:48 pm

As long as it's not fabes...as he is my hero.

Tom

der Ungar

Postby der Ungar » Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:24 am

Watched an interesting interview on Enough Rope last night - Denton interviewed an Australian ethicist who favours doping being allowed in sport.

To me, whether someone uses EPO, or whatever, doesn't affect my enjoyment of the sport, or appreciation of their performance. If Ussain Bolt turned out to be a drug cheat, his performances at Beijing were still amazing. If Armstrong was doping, were his performances any less outstanding?
I might be paranoid, but it doesn't mean that people aren't out to get me.
08 Orbea Dauphine

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:47 am

EPO is supposed to give you up to 30% more something (power,endurance...whatever)...It is supposed to work better on some people than others...OK that is when being used at its highest levels which isn't the case anymore but it definately was in the 90's.
So what about the people who want to race clean?...if it was a free for all they wouldn't be able to compete.Sorry I would rather my kids grow up to enjoy sport without being pressured into doping.I wouldn't bother watching cycling if I knew everyone was doped up in a free for all enviroment...and I think the majority will agree..where is the pleasure watching someone doped to their eye balls?.

sogood

Postby sogood » Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:46 am

That's some pretty shocking statements to come out of an ethicist. The question is, is entertainment the primary reason for having sports? If so, then we might as well as go back to the Roman Colosseum and watch gladiators. :shock:

Pax

Postby Pax » Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:39 am

der Ungar wrote: To me, whether someone uses EPO, or whatever, doesn't affect my enjoyment of the sport, or appreciation of their performance. If Ussain Bolt turned out to be a drug cheat, his performances at Beijing were still amazing. If Armstrong was doping, were his performances any less outstanding?
Couldn'd DISagree more.

I am amazed by the human capacity, not the effects of doping.

Might as well barrack for the bloke riding the Derny in the Keiren, or bugga it all and just watch the 500cc if we are going to allow artificial performance to dominate the sport.

sogood

Postby sogood » Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:46 am

Bring on the cyborgs! :lol:

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:18 pm

OK then, everybody is allowed say six hits, of EPO and 4 sterois jabs a year, all fine says the genius. Problem is, with the cash incentive of a Yellow ya just know there'll be x riders who'll go way beyond that. How will they be detectable if they're already juiced?

Go down the free for all route and athletes will be dropping like flies with 80% haematocrits, not to mention what large 'roid doses do to your body.

W4nk3r!

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

sittingbison

Postby sittingbison » Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:37 pm

sorry to say this, but my first thought when Pretorious (the blade runner) won his case at CAS to compete at Olympics with his carbon fibre leg blades was next yeat we'd be seeing a whole batch of Russians et al with their legs replaces with carbon blades.

A bit like all those American sprinters suddenly developing narcolepsy and taking modafinal, only to be told its a sleeping disorder, and did they often fall asleep on the blocks.

RICHARDH

Postby RICHARDH » Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:54 pm

No sport will ever allow its atheletes to dope. For the reasons that have already been said, how much can you dope, how do you inforce that, health reasons, and the fact that i think people would just stop watching. Back on topic, the only reason these tests are being redone is because there were some suspicous levels. This isnt automatically doping related levels do sometimes go higher than normal naturally. Personally i think the real reason is that they have a better test now for the CERA form of EPO and are going over the winners and high performers of the Tour. Everyone on that list is either part of a team that did really well or someone that got caught doping. I dont really think theyve got evidence of anything they are just double checking the results.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:27 am

show me the fan!!!!.
Last edited by toolonglegs on Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kev365428

Postby Kev365428 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:19 am

Only just read this myself.

Damn! When will it all end.

Kev.

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:53 am

toolonglegs wrote:show me the fan!!!!.
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id= ... /oct07news
Yellow jersey and 2 tt stage wins was doping!!...bastardo!!!.
Caught red-handed. But where do you draw the line ? From Sundays Telegraph:
MANLY coach Des Hasler has been accused of helping the British Olympic cause. Yep, it seems everyone is now wanting to use Lact-Away, the herbal anti-inflammatory brought to fame by Dessie and his Sea Eagles players. Including the Poms. At the Beijing Olympics, British cyclers won seven gold and two silvers after using the product.
Remember the Chinese swimmers and their special herbal remedies. Was Manly's record 40-0 Grand Final win in the same category ?

If you read some of the claims about lact-away it begins to sound like a performance enhancing drug. The active ingredient is pycnogenol, apparently extracted from tree bark, read here for what is known about it. Is it just a
step ahead of the banned list ?

Can someone tell me it's all marketing hype and that the pommy cyclists really were just better trained and worked harder than everyone else ?
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia