Carbon frame disk brake road bike

fluff63

Carbon frame disk brake road bike

Postby fluff63 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:45 am

Looking for a carbon frame disk brake road bike. Have looked at the trek domane 4.5 any other suggestions? Would like to keep the $ to 2000 but would go up to 3000 for something really good. I weigh 65 kg and am 170cm tall.

Cmm

Re: Carbon frame disk brake road bike

Postby Cmm » Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:56 am

Giant defy advanced or advanced pro

Dirty32

Postby Dirty32 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:30 am

With a budget of $2000, I get the feeling that you'll be fairly limited to CX style bikes from the bigger players (probably with an Alloy frame)... Relaxed road geo, with disc brakes. Throw some road tyres on, and you'll be golden.

If you can raise the budget a little, you might find you can look at a good level Defy (mentioned above), possibly a Spec Roubaix, and maybe a similar offering from Trek. BMC offer a lower specced model at around that budget (maybe a touch more), or you could look at building something up - look at Frames from Surly or similar.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:35 am

Riding a Polygon Helios C6X atm - $1900 delivered with Shimano 105 & Shimano BR-517 cable disc brakes. Pretty damn good if you ask me. Stiff ands responsive, but more detailed writeup to come later.

slian

Postby slian » Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:36 am

This might be of interest:
http://intheknowcycling.com/2015/01/20/ ... sc-brakes/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:24 pm

^^nice article.
2013 BMC TM SLR01;2013/14 Bianchi Inf CV
2013 Lynskey Helix;2013 XACD Ti Di2
2013 Giant TCR Adv SL1;2014 Giant Defy Adv SL

fluff63

Postby fluff63 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:39 am

Anybody know where I can find the Ridley mentioned in the article in Melbourne I can't find it on anybody's websites

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:41 pm

Any thoughts on whether the quick release models (rather than thru-axles) lead to brake disc rubbing due to poor alignment when replacing wheels (such as after a puncture)?

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:14 pm

biker jk wrote:Any thoughts on whether the quick release models (rather than thru-axles) lead to brake disc rubbing due to poor alignment when replacing wheels (such as after a puncture)?
I have had no problems. You do get a very little bit of disc rub under hard pressure but very rare and outside the noise not noticeable
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:23 pm

cancan64 wrote:
biker jk wrote:Any thoughts on whether the quick release models (rather than thru-axles) lead to brake disc rubbing due to poor alignment when replacing wheels (such as after a puncture)?
I have had no problems. You do get a very little bit of disc rub under hard pressure but very rare and outside the noise not noticeable
Thanks. How may times have you replaced the wheel in the drop outs? External or internal cam quick releases?

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:39 pm

biker jk wrote:
Thanks. How may times have you replaced the wheel in the drop outs? External or internal cam quick releases?
I have switched between 3 wheel sets plus easily had 5 punctures all on the rear.
No idea what the quick release is, one wheel set has hope skewers if that helps. just remembered mountain bike is qr and have same results plus have changed wheel sets plus a couple of punctures I have had no issues changing wheels, they align easily and only brake rub would be climbing where I am standing and they're is a bit of sideways movement.. Again pretty rare
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

human909

Postby human909 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:09 pm

I take my wheels on and off all the time and most often it isn't to do with punctures. I haven't had any issues relating to quick releases. My MTB disc brakes don't rub.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:29 pm

Thanks for your replies. It appears that around half of the disc brake road bikes launched recently have thru-axles. I can see the benefit for MTBs with suspension forks in terms of stiffening the front end under load but was skeptical that thru-axles were needed on a road bike with rigid forks. The only plausible benefit for road bikes appeared to be ensuring that the wheel was re-positioned in the drop outs correctly to prevent brake disc rub. However, this doesn't appear to be a problem with quick releases based on your experiences..

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:18 pm

Not if you do them up properly.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

Calvin27

Postby Calvin27 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:52 pm

biker jk wrote:Thanks for your replies. It appears that around half of the disc brake road bikes launched recently have thru-axles. I can see the benefit for MTBs with suspension forks in terms of stiffening the front end under load but was skeptical that thru-axles were needed on a road bike with rigid forks. The only plausible benefit for road bikes appeared to be ensuring that the wheel was re-positioned in the drop outs correctly to prevent brake disc rub. However, this doesn't appear to be a problem with quick releases based on your experiences..
The rear is not so bad, but the front is a massive difference. The fork legs flex more than the rear dropout so move a lot more than the back. Anyone who is telling you thru axles are inferior really has no clue. It's stiffer - whether you can feel it or not is another story, but the main draw card is a perfect fit each and every time. No fussin about with cams and stuff, you just screw it on and then lock it in. There are, however some stranger designs that require allen keys or are different diameters, so keep an eye out for these as they are not very standardized.

The only reason I'd still go for a QR given the choice is because there are still limited wheels available in thru axle as most of them are very high end products or 29er wheels.
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
Bike crushed by car (RIP)
No brakes bike
Ebike