Patterson Rd Rockingham

chuckchunder

Patterson Rd Rockingham

Postby chuckchunder » Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:21 pm

Need to get to Arkwright Rd off Dixon Rd in Rockingham from Thornlie tomorrow morning. Simplest route is Fwy - Patterson - Dixon. An alternative might be Gilmore Ave?

Anyone who rides down that way want suggest which would be the more pleasant route?

cheers
glen
"We have thousands of miles of cycling infrastructure, we just need to get the cars off them....." US advocate

Caelum

Postby Caelum » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:59 pm

I don't quite get how you'd be going near patterson rd, but this is what i suggest you do, if coming from thornlie..

Google Maps

I come from rockingham beach way, and head past Arkwright each morning... traffic on dixon can be pretty busy, but there is a good space to ride in on the left of the road, away from traffic.

There is a separation of the north/south lanes, but there's a gap for traffic to turn into, as shown by this image

bradwoodbr

Postby bradwoodbr » Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:18 pm

I have used the route outlined in the google map many times and it is very good. Especially at that time of day as you can ride in the bus lane through Wellard. The most dangerous bit will be turning right off Dixon into Arkwright.

Cheers
Brad
Optima Baron Raptor
Low Racer - Recumbent
http://lowracerrider.blogspot.com/
Rotovelo velomobile

Caelum

Postby Caelum » Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:21 pm

Yep. Luckily the traffic there comes in spurts... worst case is you stop on the side of the road and wait a minute for the traffic to pass - leaving through day road at the end of the day isn't too bad though - i've only had to wait any length of time twice - that's my daily commute i've done for probably nearly 2 months now..

chuckchunder

Postby chuckchunder » Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:11 am

cheers gentlemen

sorry - used whereis which went via thomas road and patterson rd for the shortest route.

will use gilmore, dixon looks fine with the marked shoulder. will give it a burl...
"We have thousands of miles of cycling infrastructure, we just need to get the cars off them....." US advocate

Caelum

Postby Caelum » Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:20 am

Yeah, thomas rd and anketell rd aren't as bike friendly - you don't want to do anketell without warning of the hill :P

What time are you going to be in the area tomorrow?

DaveW

Postby DaveW » Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:16 am

Thomas road has bike path all the way along, and although you will have to swap sides a bit Gilmore has path as well.

Bike lane marked on Dixon clearly.

However the bike path along Thomas road has glass which no-one seems keen to clean up - although I have not had a glass flat for some weeks. :wink:
(I did not ride today so I can say that with some safety - I won't get a flat until tomorrow now! :lol: :lol: :lol: )

Didn't look yesterday so I hope this is in time to help. :oops:

Wave as you go past! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Bottecchia 803 Flat bar roadie.

I'm not a complete idiot - parts of me are missing!

chuckchunder

Postby chuckchunder » Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:50 am

caelum - leaving here about 0715 - on a bit of a tight schedule with needing to drop number 2 sprog off for exam (TEE mocks) later in the morning. apparently there's a coffee bean place down there that flogs proper stuff, need to get a birthday present for the fiance....

DaveW - yeah have ridden Thomas Rd a few times, know about the glass. just wasn't sure of Bertram/Gilmore/Dixon. Hadn't realised we had pics on Google maps now, handy

if either of you spot a fat tyred 20kg touring trike trundling along, that's me!

wintal

Postby wintal » Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:28 pm

Mmmm.. five senses. It could be considered a bad thing that I recognise them from such minimal information :P

And my first thought when reading the original message was 'Arkwright Rd, isn't that where the coffee place is' :P

Cheers,
Leighton... I always get mine delivered... $4 next day delivery, bargain

Caelum

Postby Caelum » Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:28 pm

I've actually not come across it before...

More info please!

What time do they open... i usually head through at about 7.45... so it'd be a perfect morning coffee stop!

wintal

Postby wintal » Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:36 pm

Caelum wrote:I've actually not come across it before...

More info please!

What time do they open... i usually head through at about 7.45... so it'd be a perfect morning coffee stop!
I've never actually been there. They're primarily a coffee roaster - so I don't know what sort of facilities they have there, or even if there are any... The website is http://www.fivesensescoffee.com.au/

I just got a Reg Barber tamper (from fivesenses) as a birthday present. Nice bit of kit, completely extravagant though ;)

Cheers,
Leighton...

chuckchunder

Postby chuckchunder » Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:16 pm

yeah, not a cafe : ) but they'll sell you the good beans however you want 'em.... : )

i had to buy the stuff without my fiance's knowledge for her birthday....

managed to get a bit lost, ended up doing 97km for the morning, but it's all good, birthday present sorted.

mortimer/bertram rd ain't great til johnson rd, then there's a path. after that it's all good.

thanks for the help all.

cheers
glen

Caelum

Postby Caelum » Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:42 pm

Yeah, i had a bit of a squiz tonight after i finished work, they were closed by then, but could see that they're not a cafe....

real pity, they're only about 5 minutes ride from where i work, it'd be great to get a REAL coffee in the morning...