Advice Needed

biopace

Advice Needed

Postby biopace » Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:27 pm

Great site and g'day to all, Newbie here...... Im trying to decide what type of bike to get but there seems to be so much around. Ive searched the forum so excuse me if this info is here somewhere else.
I was really set on a Kona Stinky, like the looks etc, but after doing a bit of research it may not be the type of bike I should get. I know I need a mountain bike, but what type? The type of riding will be mostly dirt trails, some rough stuff, occasional wet trails/mud, some downhill with speed and small jumps, I dont want to break something though, Im not as young as some of you whipper snappers, but I really enjoy riding up rough steep inclines so I need something that will work well on some pretty rough n tough hills/trails and I need to get back down them once Im up. The reason I think the stinky wont do is because Ive heard its heavy and its more a downhill bike?. Im not a light fellow either, close to 100kg so I need something pretty tough and budget is about 1-2K, the less the better. Most of my experience is on a road bike but Im really getting into the MTB now. Any advice would be great. Thank you all.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:35 pm

I am not sure how tall you are?....but this is my old frame that I sold on as it was too small for me.But it is too big for present owner...the frame is sweet...climbs well and will handle 6-8 goot drops easy enough.Not sure what components it has at the moment...
viewtopic.php?t=5571

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:46 pm

G'day Biopace,

Welcome to the forum. You won't find too many young whipper-snappers here though! ;)

Firstly, within your budget, you should stay with a hardtail MTB (no rear suspension). Generally speaking, you should not spend less than $2000 on a new MTB with rear suspension. That's about entry level.

However, if you can stretch that budget a few hundred dollars, a Giant Trance sounds like the ideal bike for what you have described as your main reasons for riding MTB trails. It's lightish, a good design and well specced for the money. The suspension design ("Maestro") is second to none.

The caveat though is that when you first start riding a MTB, you really should do so on a hardtail: you become a better rider when you aren't relying on technology to make up for your skills and trail reading shortfalls. You also get a much better bike for your money with a HT MTB (with less maintenance to worry about too.)

I'm aware you said the tracks are rough, but that's a relative term. Are they really what mountain bikers call rough? Or are they simply rough by comparison to paved roads? In other words, do you actually need a FS bike or are you making assumption based on your perceived need? Are all the other riders on these tracks using FS bikes?

Cheers,
Graeme

(PS - where are you? If other riders here know your local tracks, it might help with the answers.)
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

ukalipt

Postby ukalipt » Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:15 am

what kalgrm said is on the mark.

for 1-2k i too would suggest buying a hardtail. my first MTB was $700
and it well and truly performed fine for 2+ years. i did have to upgrade
a couple of things but nothing over the top what-so-ever. also if you
get the bug for riding MTB - like i did - you can upgrade fully in a
couple of years.

i would try to get as light a bike as possible for your money as well.
sometimes the lower end bikes don't specify their weight but after
riding a 14kg MTB and now upgrading to a high 10's i cannot believe
the difference it really makes.

as you will find in most places, the giants are of great value, and i am
still to hear of anyone complain about them breaking... anything really.
half way between your budget is the XtC.
the spec is great for the price.

personally i wouldn't pass up a scott either [my preferred choice]
and the scale 50 isn't bad value either.

i would also recommend hydraulic disc brakes [not cable disc].
again after my recent upgrade i really started to enjoy my riding
even more with the ease of hydraulics over cable.

it is really good to go to your LBS and speak to them about it all
and test ride a couple of bikes. i still feel a lot of purchasing a bike
also comes down to your LBS because no matter what, you will
find yourself in there asking questions, buying stuff etc.

good luck!
i like to pedal

biopace

Postby biopace » Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:33 am

Thanks guys for your comments and advice.
I dont mind weather its hardtail or not, but I dont really want to go down the upgrade path within only a couple of years, my Mrs will throw me and the bike out, so my purchase has to last a while. Getting a lower spec bike and upgrading the components....I might get away with. The Giants sound quite good and I might have to try and stretch the budget a bit, but again if a hard tail will do and I can get better qaulity for the money then Im happy with that.
At the moment Im riding an old Hybrid on the tracks, it doesnt have any suspension apart from some spring device in the handle bar. My biggest problem is that when Im going up some pretty steep trails the rear end gets light, bounces around over the rocks, looses grip and then Im off. Im thinking that something with rear suspension might help or will having just the front suspension compensate for this? . I suppose from this my main priority is uphill riding dirt trails. I may have to try some bikes out but Im not sure if any bike shops will let you take them for a whole day.
Some more research to follow.
Thanks again.

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:38 am

G'day Biopace,

The rear end "bouncing around" when you're climbing is a technique problem, probably exacerbated by the hybrid bike you're on. A real MTB will help, but working on the technique will still be a priority, even on a FS MTB.

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

Bnej

Postby Bnej » Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:26 pm

biopace wrote:... looses grip and then Im off. Im thinking that something with rear suspension might help or will having just the front suspension compensate for this? .
Sit on saddle. Lowest gear. Bend elbows & get lower. Spin pedals smoothly.

If you stand forwards and off the saddle your rear wheel will slip.

biopace

Postby biopace » Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:24 am

Thanks all for all the advice, its great to hear.
Ill have to work on my hill climbing technique by the sounds of it.
So, Ive decided I will go the hardtail way, the lighter the better. Now to have a look and see which one?
Thanks again guys.

318ute

Postby 318ute » Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:41 pm

biopace,
If I were able to buy a new mtb, I would definitely give the new malvern star range a good look! :shock:
The components on those bikes is 1st class especially when you look at the price... :shock:

Steve.

mountain tamer

Postby mountain tamer » Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:29 pm

+1 for Malvern Star best value out there :D :D

XCS-9 is awesome value for money, shares specs with some very expensive mountain bikes, but only costs $1600.