Reelights

tuco

Postby tuco » Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:49 pm

As a technical officer (electronics) in a previous life I'm thinking with a bit of work the LEDs and lens can be mounted else where (with a new suitable back) and connected back to the pick up via wires.

Another option would be to use your current lights and just use this as a power source for them.

I'd really need to get my hands on one to give more details but with knowledge, anything is possible.

If the second generation has a capacitor in it then surely it's only reason for being added is to give a near steady light (capacitors store charge) - depending of cadence of course.

heavymetal
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby heavymetal » Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:57 pm

One ideal place for these would be the rear of a BOB trailer. The BOB trailer is perfectly designed, and has rear water cage mountings, rear reflector and everything else except a rear light mount. I've lost count of how many rear lights I've lost.

And because that rear wheel spins a lot, it should be quite bright.

brendanjlee

good idea

Postby brendanjlee » Fri Mar 23, 2007 5:08 pm

It would definetely be possible for someone electronically minded and handy with a soldering iron to work this system to power other lights or move the LED's away from the coil.
I have the impression that the second generation with the capacitor storage is still a flasher but rather than flash in step with the magnets it flashes at a set rate.
If it has a wheel with spokes then in all likelihood you can mount a reelight on it.

gururug

Postby gururug » Sun Mar 25, 2007 6:16 pm

If someone's going to hack this thing (tourer) consider mounting near crankarms (crankarms turn more often that wheels right?) or better yet, get three generators 12 for each wheel and 1 for crankarms.

You'll be able to power your whole campsite all night.

Bnej

Postby Bnej » Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:58 am

Do they stay secure with just a quick release holding them on?

gsxrboy

Postby gsxrboy » Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:36 pm

I saw these mentioned off the Copenhagen site, the SL120 (model with cap for stay on lighting) is floating around now but isn't up on ebay from the previously mentioned seller. Has anyone bought one of these to give it a go?

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:40 pm

I may get a chance to try some of these out. I just bought an old roadie off ebay and it comes with some form of this lighting - according to the description it works.

Richard
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:16 pm

europa wrote:I may get a chance to try some of these out. I just bought an old roadie off ebay and it comes with some form of this lighting - according to the description it works.

Richard
You think we'll let you get away with such meagre information? You made the "No pics, no bike rule" remember? :P

Wasn't ebay having a run on shortarse frames too, you must like all the experimenting to make tiny bikes fit a big bloke, hmmm :wink:

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:38 pm

As it turns out, it's a generator that mounts at the front of the bottom fork and runs off the face of the rear wheel. They are a very good generator actually, with very little drag. The halogen headlight and rear light came with it. I've just wandered out into the gloom, flicked on the generator and spun the rear wheel - headlight and tail light work :shock: Trouble is, it doesn't look as bright as I remember my old halogen light did (I had one for years on the Europa) but still far better than any led system plus my nice, new Catseye battery light.

So ...

Opportunity knocks.

If someone wants a generator system - they are very good, I used one for years on the Europa (this was when battery lights ran ordinary torch globes). The light is easily bright enough to safely follow a path without other lighting, but depends on how fast you are going (and are off when stopped). With a modern LED backup light, these make a very good commuting light.

So, if a forumite wants this one, you can have it for the cost of the postage. Not as good as a modern bells and whistles system but nowhere near the horrendous cost either.

The bike I picked up is a Paraflite :? Dunno what it is. It's heavy but I suspect it'll be like the Road Master I picked up the other week - all the weight is in the rear wheel (it has that feel to it). The cranks are a proper cotterless system and the chainrings are bolted in place, not rivetted. Friction shifters only surprisingly, especially as they are mounted on the stem, so maybe they can be switched to indexed - I haven't looked. The brakes have those dreadful 'safety' levers, but work quite well. The frame is a nice lugged frame (with nice looking lugs actually) but lacks any sort of sticker so it's probably plain guage. I plan to turn her into a track bike for my son ... though he's not too interested (he keeps yearning for that basically new Hillbrink for $650 in the bike shop).

You want a photo? Imagine a black rectangle - it's dark outside.

Richard
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it