Kwinana PSP upgrade works

newblah

Re: Kwinana PSP upgrade works

Postby newblah » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:12 pm

I'm guessing that the leech highway underpass isn't going to be opening this week? Anyone know what they still have to complete?

Rex

Postby Rex » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:05 pm

Certainly hope so, that path is a death trap

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:54 pm

Rex wrote:Certainly hope so, that path is a death trap
Hardly a death trap unless choosing to cross in an easterley direction over the lanes that turn toward Freo while the don't walk sign is on.

But it does introduces frustrating delays and a little extra involvement with traffic. I had and (when re-opened) will again have more danger issues with the southern-most underpass that has been closed for the last 18 months.

And it goes without saying that tere is a need to ride to the conditions.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

Rex

Postby Rex » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:34 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote:
Hardly a death trap unless choosing to cross in an easterley direction over the lanes that turn toward Freo while the don't walk sign is on.
I was referring to the path between MtHenry and Canning Bridges.
Lots of peds, speeding cyclists with poor visibility, poor quality of path and the odd blind corner or two... my least liked stretch of path along the PSP.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:42 pm

Rex wrote:
ColinOldnCranky wrote:
I was referring to the path between MtHenry and Canning Bridges.
Lots of peds, speeding cyclists with poor visibility, poor quality of path and the odd blind corner or two... my least liked stretch of path along the PSP.
My mistake. And I have heard others say as much, THe path is a little damaged in places from tree roots testing themselves against the asphalt and the visibility is a little constrained but, again, not as bad as the section Canning and Narrows IMO. Unless again not riding to the conditions. However I mostly ride very early have not experienced it with heavy traffic and maybe you have. Also I switched to Mt Pleasant from it early this year and maybe it has degraded in that time.

The one obvious danger to me is the underpass at the east end of Canning - that needs some improvement in line of sight. And also after storms when there is a lot of soft debris hiding not-so-soft hazards. Particularly around the Aquinas pedestrian overpass and under Canning Bridge.

Timeonabike

Postby Timeonabike » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:08 pm

Being lazy here and not searching for it - but does anyone know of any plans for the Cranford Ave bridge? Screaming out for an underpass.

Cheers

Time

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:46 am

Timeonabike wrote:Being lazy here and not searching for it - but does anyone know of any plans for the Cranford Ave bridge? Screaming out for an underpass.

Cheers

Time
I suspect that Cranford Ave can't take the necessary works as easily as other spans. It's span is considerable less than everything else that is around there. It was constructed circa 1985 some ten years before the spans at Leach Highway and further south. At the time the freeway was only going to Leach Hwy and was the southern most bridge.

But if it did happen it would be done as part of a freeway improvement out of road funding, not out of the smaller pool of cycling funds. Should we pray for more significant works closer to the river?

However there is little to stop them from taking the path of those honky-nut laden ways in Bateman and I can't see why the hell they didn't with this current lot of works.

nachoman

Postby nachoman » Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:08 pm

Issue of smoke on the border
A MELVILLE Times reader recently brought to the paper’s attention that, due to the Fiona Stanley Hospital campus being completely smoke-free, smokers were possibly putting themselves and others in danger to get their nicotine fix.

The reader, who wants to remain anonymous, snapped this photo of a favoured smoking spot just outside the hospital’s boundary – a dual-use path at the back of the hospital, adjacent to Kwinana Freeway.

“Part of the problem of pushing these people out onto the path is that they present a hazard to the many cyclists that commute along the path; I almost collided with two smokers early Saturday morning as they stood chatting in the middle of the path.”

The hospital took “all issues relating to smoking extremely seriously and have investigated this particular issue on the cycle path.”

Robinho

Postby Robinho » Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:29 pm

It seems to have had an effect, there were 3 or 4 runs and a couple of plastic garden chairs by the path, which all seem to have moved on. I didn't have any issues with close calls with the ever present smokers, but there is nothing I hate to see more than medical staff in their branded hospital gear puffing away on a fag

just4tehhalibut

Postby just4tehhalibut » Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:16 am

A couple of PSP roadworks happening today, per Main Roads
"Mounts Bay Road - Perth:
10 & 11 March
9.00 am to 6.00 pm
South side of the path (330m west of Narrows Bridge) will be closed; all cyclists and pedestrian traffic will be pushed to north side of the path with traffic management in place to allow for handrail replacement work.

Kwinana Freeway Principle Shared Path (PSP) - Narrows Bridge to Mount Henry Bridge - Como
11 March
8.00 am to 4.00 pm
Bike lane closures, Cyclists to dismount. Traffic controllers on site."

So get to work early to avoid delays. And if you're doing a Wednesday Afternoon Ride prepare for a slow start.

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:21 am

Even Main Roads cant spell these days