Best tyres for commuting?

yugyug

Re: Best tyres for commuting?

Postby yugyug » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:22 pm

Jeez... Aero effect of tread... That's really pushing it!! :)

ItsDank

Postby ItsDank » Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:31 pm

yugyug wrote:Jeez... Aero effect of tread... That's really pushing it!! :)
Not quite, there's a reason that golf balls for example have bumps, it's to reduce the turbulence and drag created from smooth surfaces. The same applies to some of the bumps you see on Zipp rims and of course, this applies to tires as well.

yugyug

Postby yugyug » Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:16 pm

Fair point about golf balls, but that concerns the entire cladding of an object, not a relatively small part of a bicycles surface which had another primary function. I suggest that designing tread for traction (or not designing it as the case may be) trumps any possible reason for designing for aero effect - especially for racing bikes.

__PG__

Postby __PG__ » Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:47 pm

ItsDank wrote:
Not quite, there's a reason that golf balls for example have bumps, it's to reduce the turbulence and drag created from smooth surfaces. The same applies to some of the bumps you see on Zipp rims and of course, this applies to tires as well.
Golf balls are dimpled to cause the boundary layer to become turbulent. A turbulent boundary layer has more momentun and thus is less susceptible to separate in an adverse pressure gradient.

Smooth surfaces by themselves create less skin friction drag than a rough/dimpled surface. A laminar boundary layer causes less drag than a turbulent one.
However, a laminar one is more likely to separate when moving into an adverse pressure gradient thus it will create a larger wake, and hence more pressure drag.

The dimples on Zipp rims are probably cosmetic. The dimples on the front of some of the TT helmets I see definitely are.
1994 Cecil Walker (now retired)
2013 Baum Corretto
2014 Cell Awaba 1.0

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:50 pm

Golly - where can I get some dimpled tyres for my commuter.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

ItsDank

Postby ItsDank » Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:07 am

__PG__ wrote:
ItsDank wrote:
Golf balls are dimpled to cause the boundary layer to become turbulent. A turbulent boundary layer has more momentun and thus is less susceptible to separate in an adverse pressure gradient.

Smooth surfaces by themselves create less skin friction drag than a rough/dimpled surface. A laminar boundary layer causes less drag than a turbulent one.
However, a laminar one is more likely to separate when moving into an adverse pressure gradient thus it will create a larger wake, and hence more pressure drag.

The dimples on Zipp rims are probably cosmetic. The dimples on the front of some of the TT helmets I see definitely are.
Funny enough, Zipps own marketing materials go on at length about their windtunnel figures and the primary example,a golf ball creating a turbulent layer whilst rotating.
http://www.zipp.com/_media/pdfs/technol ... _edges.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In any case, the graphs on the page previous show reductions in drag but the tire design wasn't based on providing these results (but it does anyhow).

I've done many km's in the rain with the Grip 4 SC's and they give you plenty of confidence in the wet. With my Vittoria Evo CX's I would skid upon wet braking and powering out of the saddle was out far too risky but this hasn't been the case with the Michelin's. With the Grip SC's I can get out of the saddle and power at high cadence without slipping in the wet, it's great :) If there's a lighter option that provides more grip than I'm all for trying it out. As a commuter tire, it's impressed so far.

__PG__

Postby __PG__ » Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:01 pm

It's funny reading that article. The author/journo contradicts himself a few times and doesn't seem to know his arse from his elbow, but the Zipp engineer seems to know what he's talking about.

I'll read it again, but it seems that the ZIpp 'dimples' are not being used in the sense that golf balls are dimpled. Otherwise, you wouldn't use them on disc wheel. They seem to be able to lower skin friction drag by using dimples.
1994 Cecil Walker (now retired)
2013 Baum Corretto
2014 Cell Awaba 1.0

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:44 pm

Yeah its prob a poofteenth of nothing though.
Zipp have dimples on their 404 and the similar depth swissside hadron has apparently less drag without using them.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

ItsDank

Postby ItsDank » Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:42 pm

A review I've done on the Michelin Pro 4 SC Grip :)

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:24 pm

Rear 25c randonneur after just 1788.5km :o

Wont be using them again. Rolls ok, similar to marathon green guard and better than the marathon plus, but not cheap and doesn't last. Has had good puncture resistance though. I'm going to try a 25c durano plus on the rear next. The front one has seen out 3 rear tyres now.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:54 pm

warthog1 wrote:Rear 25c randonneur after just 1788.5km :o
jasonc wrote:
warthog1 wrote:
jasonc wrote:
I have the spreadsheet number of the tyre mileage that I can show if you like. here's a glimpse:
first randonneur - 2635kms
first marathon plus ~8200kms.
is there any point in discussing it?
Was the tread worn out after 2635 kms :o ? If so were you locking the rear wheel regularly?
I get more out of a GP4000S.

I get more out of a GP4000s also. No locking. They are just crap.
that post was from 12 months ago.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:31 pm

Oh well, I'm an experiential learner :oops: :)
I got somewhere around 4k from my smp, I didn't record all my rides so guessing a bit and it did die prematurely from a sidewall cut. They ride like a lump of leather IMO.
Far more duarble than a randonneur, tread wear wise however.

tez001

Postby tez001 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:25 pm

I got some 25mm radonneurs which I'll be putting onto the commuter next. Hope I get more than 1800kms out of them though. The current Rubinos have done 2300km and are nearing on replacement, and I thought that was bad.

rangersac

Postby rangersac » Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:22 pm

tez001 wrote:I got some 25mm radonneurs which I'll be putting onto the commuter next. Hope I get more than 1800kms out of them though. The current Rubinos have done 2300km and are nearing on replacement, and I thought that was bad.
You won't on the rear, I've tried and they died pretty quickly. A nicer ride than SMPs and grippier in the wet was my impression, so I left one on the front, but am back to running an SMP on the rear.
De Rosa Macro | Intense Primer | Wayward Cape York | Cotic Rocket

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:49 pm

Moneys tight at the moment so I went cheap.
https://www.torpedo7.com.au/products/01 ... -700-x-25c
I don't expect it to be the best commuter tire but it went with some chainrings I bought for the roadie and stayed under $100-
I'll see how it goes wear wise anyway.

Edit;
They don't review well :o
http://www.roadbikereview.com/cat/wheel ... 89crx.aspx

http://bikesmarts.com/the-20-road-tire- ... a-zaffiro/

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:35 am

warthog1 wrote:Moneys tight at the moment so I went cheap.
https://www.torpedo7.com.au/products/01 ... -700-x-25c
I don't expect it to be the best commuter tire but it went with some chainrings I bought for the roadie and stayed under $100-
I'll see how it goes wear wise anyway.

Edit;
They don't review well :o
http://www.roadbikereview.com/cat/wheel ... 89crx.aspx

http://bikesmarts.com/the-20-road-tire- ... a-zaffiro/
Have used the Zaffiro they put it up against in the last review with good success. Only throwing tyres out when they squared off on the rear tread, not because of cuts. Lugano should be OK for $20.

Jim

PatNZ

Postby PatNZ » Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:24 pm

jasonc wrote:
warthog1 wrote:Rear 25c randonneur after just 1788.5km :o
Im really surprised the Randonneurs wore out that fast. I was thinking of them when I got my previous gator skins. I thought they would last longer since they are the heavier more touring style tyre. At least I know to avoid it now.

I got around 6000kms out of my rear gatorskin. Its hard to tell exactly since last year I wasn't keeping and exact log of my Kms like I am this year.

I'm testing MP4 Endurance tyres now, with logged milage. So it should be interesting.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:19 pm

I ride on course chipseal during much of my commute and it has as much climbing as I can throw into the route. I think its the out of saddle climbing on the coarse surface that hammers them. The schwalbe marathon and marathon plus lasted longer though.

fatherofmany
Location: Central Coast NSW Australia 33°26'16"S 151°20'39.50"E ish

Postby fatherofmany » Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:19 am

My experience so far on Maxxis Re-Fuse 700C 25mm.

Pleased to say that after 8 months and over 3500km commuting, including one of the worst debris ridden roads on the Central Coast (Manns Rd for anyone that knows it) I wore the rear down to the kevlar and replaced it. Considering I ride past a car wreckers and multiple garden supplies and metal recyclers, no incidents at all with them and very chuffed. The tyre was chopped to bits but no glass got past the kevlar.

However.. 2 weeks after I swapped it out I made it to within 200m of work and suffered a flat on the new rear tyre. the cause.. the tiniest, thinnest piece of wire, about 1cm long got through the weave where all the glass couldn't.

They are on my other ride too - the weekender - and no flats there either. I think they have a nicer road feel than the Specialized Roubaix or the Armadillos.

Because they are a flat packed tyre, the fitting of them when new can be a bit tricky as they don't want to readily conform to their new round shape. I think they are worth the effort though, as I found out later that once they've been on for a while, they are easy enough to replace tubes in if you ever find the need.

FoM
15 Bikes 2 adults 6 children, 2 dogs, 10 chooks and a heck of a lot of fish

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:54 pm

Few tyres will stop the old radial tyre wire.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:07 am

fatherofmany wrote:My experience so far on Maxxis Re-Fuse 700C 25mm.
Pretty similar to mine - one puncture in the time it took to get to the kevlar, (very fine piece of glass) similar industrial estate routes. Grip is average but ok. Mine were wired so no issues with roundness
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

poohkies

Postby poohkies » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:16 am

rating my gatorskins :) probably best tyres ive had :)

kb

Postby kb » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:53 am

singlespeedscott wrote:Few tyres will stop the old radial tyre wire.
And it's a bugger to get out of the puncture resistant belt. A couple of those had me buying a mini Gerber folding pliers for my saddle bag.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:10 pm

2036 km from the randonneur and the red line was almost continuous around the tread. Ditched it and on with the schwalbe lugano.
Famous last words but I am done with leather tyres. The bike feels so much more lively without a thick heavy rear tyre on. The heavier/thicker the tyre, the more it sucks the life out of the ride. I think I'm with SSScott here,
singlespeedscott wrote:life is too short to ride heavy tyres
:)
I reckon a durano plus is as thick as I'll go in future.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:53 pm

Hear, hear :P