BIKE CARRIER

PEDALPOWER44

Postby PEDALPOWER44 » Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:09 am

Hi Harry,

Yes the Thule is a nice carrier but I had to take the bent to the shop so I made sure that the thing would fit which it did so I'm :D now.

As for the Avatar Steve's right with his comment :oops: but I must say the mono brow is pretty damn close though.

Hi Steve,

The Thule does carry two bikes and after I finish with it it folds up which suits me, then I just put it in the boot couldn't be any easier.

Cheers

Steve :D

(PP44)
Last edited by PEDALPOWER44 on Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Low Racer

Postby Low Racer » Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:11 pm

Here is my rig. Works really well.

Regards

Chong

Uba Tracker

Postby Uba Tracker » Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:44 pm

Hi Chong, looks great and just in time for the Bris to GC :wink:

Harry
A bad day's riding beats a good day's work everytime

PEDALPOWER44

Postby PEDALPOWER44 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:04 am

Hi Chong,

Looks a treat!! are you coming to the B2GC ride it would be great if you could.

Cheers

(PP44)

Low Racer

Postby Low Racer » Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:04 pm

Hi guys,
Would love to do the ride but not practical for me at this stage. Maybe next year. For all who are going, wish you fair weather and a good ride. Take care on the road. Enjoy your ride.

The rack is really highly adaptable for bents. I am glad I could find something suitable locally.

Regards

Chong

Uba Tracker

Postby Uba Tracker » Sun Oct 05, 2008 4:32 pm

Hi all, well here's a couple of pics of my new home built 'Bent rack.

All up cost me $30 - and a weekend.

cheers

Harry

Low Racer

Postby Low Racer » Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:25 pm

Harry,
That looks fantastic. 1/10 of what I had paid :lol: . I have been thinking about the lights too for my setup.

Chong

Uba Tracker

Postby Uba Tracker » Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:37 pm

Thanks Chong, yeah the lights are a bit of a must in my book. I received a bit of a spanking from a female copper (not all bad) some years ago for obscuring the car's tail lights whilst transporting a bike, so I'm hoping to avoid that situation. The lights are $4.50 per unit, the plug was about the same and I scabbed 2 metres of trailer lead from the local caravan outfitter, plenty if those in your neighbour hood. Sorry to hear that we won't have the pleasure of your company at B2GC but totally understandable, maybe next year.

cheers

Harry

vonhazza

Postby vonhazza » Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:10 pm

Nice job Harry, should get a patent.
Steve Cruzbike FWD.

Uba Tracker

Postby Uba Tracker » Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:32 pm

vonhazza wrote:Nice job Harry, should get a patent.
Hi Steve, thanks mate I reckon somebody's already beaten me to the punch on that one, I've had some experience with patent solicitors and would rather not do it again.

cheers mate, see you Sunday

Harry

Freddyflatfoot

Postby Freddyflatfoot » Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:48 pm

Just a little note re obscuring lights etc. You also must make sure that the number plate is not obscured, and that you get a bike carrier specific plate,
...............................from a friendly male copper! (and bent rider!)
Cheers!
Rob
---------------------------------------------------
Homebuilt trike, with electric assist
26"/20" trike, "Goanna"
SWB recumbent, 700C/451 , "Kookaburra", homebuilt.
FWD project (Cyclone).
Optima Raptor

Uba Tracker

Postby Uba Tracker » Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:37 am

Freddyflatfoot wrote:Just a little note re obscuring lights etc. You also must make sure that the number plate is not obscured, and that you get a bike carrier specific plate,
Ahhhh thanks Rob for the heads up on that, I'll be off to Qld Transport tomorrow to sort that out.

cheers

Harry

PEDALPOWER44

Postby PEDALPOWER44 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:29 am

Nice job Harry,

I'm happy with the Thule it worked out great it' so easy to use look's like your carrier is much the same design as Chong's( Low Racer) and much cheaper to boot.

Cheers

(PP44)

griffo1962

Postby griffo1962 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:28 am

Uba Tracker wrote:
Freddyflatfoot wrote:Just a little note re obscuring lights etc. You also must make sure that the number plate is not obscured, and that you get a bike carrier specific plate,
Ahhhh thanks Rob for the heads up on that, I'll be off to Qld Transport tomorrow to sort that out.

cheers

Harry
make sure you are sitting down when they tell you how much it costs. Mine was ~$55 when I got it last year.

cheers

griffo

Uba Tracker

Postby Uba Tracker » Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:37 am

griffo1962 wrote:make sure you are sitting down when they tell you how much it costs. Mine was ~$55 when I got it last year.

cheers

griffo
Hi Griffo, yeah figured it would be in the 50 buck neighbour hood, the reality is too that I won't have the accessory plate by this Friday so I'll end up relocating the one off the back of the family Truckster for this weekend. It's not ideal or entirely legal but I'm hoping it's better than nothing, we'll see.

cheers

Harry

Freddyflatfoot

Postby Freddyflatfoot » Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:47 am

Not entirely sure on Qld's rules, but in Vic you can temporarily relocate the rear plate to the bike carrier.
Our bike plates are $26.30. Just checked.
Cheers!
Rob
---------------------------------------------------
Homebuilt trike, with electric assist
26"/20" trike, "Goanna"
SWB recumbent, 700C/451 , "Kookaburra", homebuilt.
FWD project (Cyclone).
Optima Raptor

Uba Tracker

Postby Uba Tracker » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:05 am

Freddyflatfoot wrote:Not entirely sure on Qld's rules, but in Vic you can temporarily relocate the rear plate to the bike carrier.
Our bike plates are $26.30. Just checked.
Thanks Rob, I'll enquire about that option while I'm over there, appreciate your help mate :wink:

Harry

RogerTully

Postby RogerTully » Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:25 am

I have to go to Normanton this weekend in my ute for work and I wanted to take my Lynxx. I usually just throw it in the back, but I need to have the back (under the alloy canopy) filled with tools, swag etc so I went to my local aluminium welding bloke and he welded two short 60mmOD tubes between the roof and the boat rack. These had a hole drilled to accommodate an 8mm bolt and pin which secured two Z shaped bike supports that hung down from the roof. When the bike comes off, I can easily remove the Z Brackets to access the Ute tray by pulling two pins. The roof tubes were positioned so that the front support went under the pedal adjustment bolts and the rear one at the end of the mainspar. He welded on two angled flat bar sections to hold the bike and each of these has a "D" loop underneath to accommodate a bungee. I stuck on some old wet suit rubber for padding and initial tests have been encouraging. I'll keep you posted when I get back in a week. I reckon all the solutions posted in this thread have been good. It is unfortunate that Bents are not as prolific as DFs so custom support gear is not mass produced and as a result, expensive. I'll let you know how much mine cost when I get the bill. When I find out how to post some pics I'll send a few.
rt

griffo1962

Postby griffo1962 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:48 pm

RogerTully wrote:I have to go to Normanton this weekend in my ute for work and I wanted to take my Lynxx. I usually just throw it in the back, but I need to have the back (under the alloy canopy) filled with tools, swag etc so I went to my local aluminium welding bloke and he welded two short 60mmOD tubes between the roof and the boat rack. These had a hole drilled to accommodate an 8mm bolt and pin which secured two Z shaped bike supports that hung down from the roof. When the bike comes off, I can easily remove the Z Brackets to access the Ute tray by pulling two pins. The roof tubes were positioned so that the front support went under the pedal adjustment bolts and the rear one at the end of the mainspar. He welded on two angled flat bar sections to hold the bike and each of these has a "D" loop underneath to accommodate a bungee. I stuck on some old wet suit rubber for padding and initial tests have been encouraging. I'll keep you posted when I get back in a week. I reckon all the solutions posted in this thread have been good. It is unfortunate that Bents are not as prolific as DFs so custom support gear is not mass produced and as a result, expensive. I'll let you know how much mine cost when I get the bill. When I find out how to post some pics I'll send a few.
rt
any chance of some piccies?

RogerTully

Ute Rack for Lynxx

Postby RogerTully » Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:50 pm

Griffo,
How do I post Pics??
rt :oops: [/quote]

Uba Tracker

Postby Uba Tracker » Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:22 pm

Hi Roger, I can field that one, for a start you need to have racked up a minimum number of posts, 10 to be precise and post number 11 will let you post pics. It's a way of keeping the forum free of unwanted advertising and the like (Graeme, jump on board mate and explain this in more detail if you like). Anyway once you have some pics that you want to share you'll need to upload them to a photo hosting site, I use Photobucket, once you've got your self an account (it's free) and your photo's uploaded then it's a simple matter of clicking on one of the transfer formats e.g. URL, IMG (I use this one), HTTP etc and a little window briefly appears saying 'Copied'. Next go back to where you are composing your post and use 'CTRL V' otherwise known as paste, the link to the photo then appears in your composed post. To see if it worked just hit preview next to submit and you'll see how you went.

cheers

Harry
Last edited by Uba Tracker on Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:45 pm

Harry has it, but it's actually the 12th post which is hte first you can post links and photos in. Seems ot be a bug in the system somewhere ...

Roger, just count to 11, one number per post, and you'll be there.

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

RogerTully

pic posting

Postby RogerTully » Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:22 am

Thanks fellas,
I'll just have to wait because I head for Normanton today and I will be out of conact for a week.
rt

RogerTully

Lynxx Bike Carrier

Postby RogerTully » Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:33 pm

Hi folks!
Normanton was hot, flat and very different. My custom rack performed perfectly. I had to camp in the back of the ute for 3 days so I had to take the bike and the right support tube off to access my sleeping quarters on those occasions. The bike is secured by a couple of bungees and the support tube has a pinned bolt to keep it in place. I made a bamboo support strut that I bungee onto the rear bike wheel and then onto the rear light guard frame.
I camped beside a lagoon near the Norman River and counted 19 species of wild life at sunset. Awesome! I parked the lynxx between the lagoon and the ute to halt the onslaught of any voracious croc that might wish to make a meal of yours truly :wink:
The kids at Normanton school had never seen a bent before and they were extremely curious. Quite a few even asked for a ride! When I said "Do you think you could ride it?" they all answered enthusiastically, "Yes". I pointed out the fact that their legs were too short and even let a couple of kids sit in it while I held it. Yep! the feet couldn't touch the pedals so I was off the hook :) .
I drove my ute into the school grounds and worked out of the back.( I do woodcarving workshops in remote schools) so I had to take the bike off the rack every day at 8.30am and put it back on to go back to the motel at 4pm. I also rode every morning at 5.00am till 7.30 so there was another unload and load, so I've had plenty of practice. I have to lift the bike about 500mm off the ground to get it on the rack. The rear goes on first and then the bowsprit. I have a optima rear panier rack fitted and I made the support bar fit right at the end of the main spar so the support bar has to pass through the rack to be in position. I found it was a bit tricky to get the bar through the rack initially as the seat obscures vision somewhat. Now that I'm practiced I have no problem.
The upside down positioning of the bent on what seemed a regular DF rack impressed me! thinking outside the circle :idea: Good one!
Harry, what kind of seat have you got on your Lynxx? It looks very comfortable! I have the standard lynxx seat and I find I get a sore bum after an hour or so. I have put a piece of 6mm foam under the open seat foam to try to eliminate the problem. I thought that the bottom part of the seat frame could have been made a little wider to spread the pressure. Yours seems good and wide.
Do any of you guys subscribe to Bike Forums? I have been submitting posts there under the same handle and I have been able to post pics oo. Of cause my contributions have been to the recumbent and touring threads.
see ya soon
rt

Uba Tracker

Postby Uba Tracker » Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:44 pm

Hi Roger, a very interesting account of your time in FNQ. The seat on my Lynxx is a Bacchetta Recurve Seat, I retro fitted mine for the same reasons you cited. The standard seat IMO is too narrow and not at all suited to sitting upright, which is fine since it's not really designed to, but it does pose somewhat of a paradox as the Lynxx is widely touted as an accomplished tourer. I can attest that with the Bacchetta seat fitted it is capable of supporting the rider in luxurious comfort for hours on end, with no ill effects other than tired legs.

cheers

Harry