Fleet getting out of Giant or ...

Aushiker

Fleet getting out of Giant or ...

Postby Aushiker » Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:47 pm

G'day

Head on the street today that Fleet Cycles are allegedly getting out of Giant because Giant prices are going up 10%. The other take is that Giant have given Fleet the flick, as Giant is not a dealership one would want to give up easily I believe.

Fleet are going to become Avanti/Orbea dealers apparently.

Regards
Andrew
Last edited by Aushiker on Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Caelum

Postby Caelum » Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:54 pm

Yeah, i find it surprising that a store would let Giant go.....

That just makes no business sense, unless taking up another big manufacturer... But eh.. Giant is the name to have.

wintal

Postby wintal » Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:05 am

Well, giant's prices going up makes them a lot less competitive, unless everyone else does it. I was in Cyclemania on the weekend, and they think the other bike manufaturers will also raise their prices though. (Incidentally, it's more than 10%, the crx4 goes up by $100, which is about 20%).

The old truism of 'Giant is best bang for buck' is becoming less true, there's a lot of other players in the low end of the market now with good bikes.

Cheers,
Leighton...

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:28 am

wintal wrote:Well, giant's prices going up makes them a lot less competitive, unless everyone else does it. I was in Cyclemania on the weekend, and they think the other bike manufaturers will also raise their prices though. .
Balmoral Cycles suggested that Viventes where going up 15 to 25%.

Andrew

rambler1au

Postby rambler1au » Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:34 pm

What I cant understand is that a reasonable road bike costs nearly $2 Gees and for less than that you can buy a new motor scooter road licenced

It does not seem to encourage much cycling which is what should be encouraged to the non bike riding proletariat.

The govt should subsidise bicyclists hence saving the cardiovascular problems everyone is dying from and tax things that clog up the atmosphere and contribute to global warming. However I dont hold much hope in that

So brothers and sisters lets get on the streets and start protesting this injustice.
What’s with these recumbent bicycles? Listen, buddy, if you wanna take a nap, lie down. If you wanna ride a bike, buy a bicycle

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:53 pm

Wish you could salary sacrifice a bike like you can in some European countries.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:03 pm

moosterbounce wrote:Wish you could salary sacrifice a bike like you can in some European countries.
Go work for UWA. I believe they do this.

Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:07 pm

Aushiker wrote:
moosterbounce wrote:Wish you could salary sacrifice a bike like you can in some European countries.

Andrew
No, cancel that. They don't offer it any more.

Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:12 pm

Aushiker wrote:
Aushiker wrote:

Andrew
No, cancel that. They don't offer it any more.

Andrew
But Curtin do it (up to $1000).

Andrew

TethAdam5

Postby TethAdam5 » Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:59 am

I work at Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital and they give you 10% of the purchase price of a bike if you use it to ride to work.

Not bad if you also manage to get a good discount at the bike shop!

sittingbison

Postby sittingbison » Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:49 am

reckon they'd give you $1500 when you nip out and get a C50 with all the fruit? Now THAT would be a test of the administration. :wink:
I have a cunning plan, as cunning as a fox who's just been appointed Professor of Cunning at Oxford University

sogood

Re: Fleet getting out of Giant or ...

Postby sogood » Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:22 pm

Aushiker wrote:Head on the street today that Fleet Cycles are allegedly getting out of Giant because Giant prices are going up 10%. The other take is that Giant have given Fleet the flick, as Giant is not a dealership one would want to give up easily I believe.
Gees, which bike brand isn't going to go up in price given the tanking AUD?
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

Matty

Postby Matty » Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:33 pm

TethAdam5 wrote:I work at Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital and they give you 10% of the purchase price of a bike if you use it to ride to work.

This is the discount with TBE Nedlands yeah? I don't think you necessarily have to use it to ride to work and I'm pretty sure it's just 10% off the RRP and is provided by the store and not SCGH. Also TBE offer 15% off accessories too. Though please feel free to correct me.

TethAdam5

Postby TethAdam5 » Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:03 pm

Matty wrote:
TethAdam5 wrote:I work at Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital and they give you 10% of the purchase price of a bike if you use it to ride to work.

This is the discount with TBE Nedlands yeah? I don't think you necessarily have to use it to ride to work and I'm pretty sure it's just 10% off the RRP and is provided by the store and not SCGH. Also TBE offer 15% off accessories too. Though please feel free to correct me.
No its the Travelsmart Coordinator - 10% via cheque after you present the receipt. Ripper of a deal!

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:04 pm

Damn, I'm in the wrong job!!

Oh well. Pointless me working at Charlie's anyway...I tend to faint at the sight of a hospital (and no...it isn't funny :? ). And that's even when I visit people - which I no longer do.

Mum's the same - her and dad once took me to emergency after a hockey ball gave me a big kiss on the cheek bone. I passed out with the pain when mr doc ws prodding to see if I had a fractured cheekbone (that's why they invented xrays people!!), and mum joined me!! The floor wasn't as comfy as my guerney though apparently :oops:

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:29 pm

G'day

A little more of an update ... word is that Giant gave Fleet the flick and the Fleet Mandurah store is now Avanti Plus. This means as I understand it, Avanti provide the stock and Fleet don't pay for it until it is sold. I am sure there are catches, but makes me wonder about cash flow issues.

Andrew

Matty

Postby Matty » Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:38 am

TethAdam5 wrote:
Matty wrote:

No its the Travelsmart Coordinator - 10% via cheque after you present the receipt. Ripper of a deal!
Really. Damn. I missed out on my 10% :(