Bris to Gold Coast Classic: anyone interested in 200k loop?

Pax

Bris to Gold Coast Classic: anyone interested in 200k loop?

Postby Pax » Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:20 pm

Hi all

I am keen to do the ride back to Brisbane after the Brisbane to Gold Coast Classic to make it a 200k day.

Hoping to do a good steady pace but not to hammer it.

It'd be much more enjoyable with a group, is anyone interested :D ?

Does anyone know if many people rode back last year?

chris641

Re: Bris to Gold Coast Classic: anyone interested in 200k lo

Postby chris641 » Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:48 pm

Pax wrote:Hi all

I am keen to do the ride back to Brisbane after the Brisbane to Gold Coast Classic to make it a 200k day.

Hoping to do a good steady pace but not to hammer it.

It'd be much more enjoyable with a group, is anyone interested :D ?

Does anyone know if many people rode back last year?
Hmmm what kind of pace are you thinking?? might have to wait and see how im feeling at the end of the 100 haha...
Fastest Century: 100km in 2:52 at 35 km/h
2008 Merida Scultura Evo Team

espiritu

Postby espiritu » Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:27 pm

i might be interested, but what kinda pace are you talking about? We going to ride down, have a break then ride back? or we just gonna hit southport and turn straight back :P

Pax

Re: Bris to Gold Coast Classic: anyone interested in 200k lo

Postby Pax » Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:46 am

chris641 wrote: Hmmm what kind of pace are you thinking?? might have to wait and see how im feeling at the end of the 100 haha...
Chris, I've seen your conversation with Tatt2 in the other thread about Brissy to the Gold Coast. Sounds like you are aiming for 33+ kph on the way down.

I don't think I'll be doing that on the way back :shock: . Probably somewhere in the 27-30 zone depending on the bunch?? Could be a touch higher if there is a keen bunch to share the work around, but I'm not looking to kill my knees so probably the 27-30k mark. Mind you I'm cr@p at predicting speed on routes I haven't done before.

Re waiting and seeing how you feel at the end of the 100, I'm thinking that the train is always an option on the way home if it all turns out to be too ambitious, there are quite a few stations that aren't too hard to get to on the way back if anyone hits the wall.
Last edited by Pax on Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pax

Postby Pax » Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:51 am

espiritu wrote:i might be interested, but what kinda pace are you talking about? We going to ride down, have a break then ride back? or we just gonna hit southport and turn straight back :P
Hi espiritu; Pace and the option of the train are in my post to Chris (above).

I'm thinking that a bit of a break at Southport would be the best idea: gives us a chance to savour the atmosphere of the big bunch finishing and feelling good about ourselves before heading home :D

chris641

Postby chris641 » Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:48 am

27 - 30 sounds good, should be able to do that!
Fastest Century: 100km in 2:52 at 35 km/h
2008 Merida Scultura Evo Team

tatt2

Postby tatt2 » Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:54 am

Im going to push myself for the 100 down so i'll have no hope of riding back
GIANT 2011 Talon MTB

I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.

espiritu

Postby espiritu » Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:27 pm

Pax wrote:
espiritu wrote:i might be interested, but what kinda pace are you talking about? We going to ride down, have a break then ride back? or we just gonna hit southport and turn straight back :P
Hi espiritu; Pace and the option of the train are in my post to Chris (above).

I'm thinking that a bit of a break at Southport would be the best idea: gives us a chance to savour the atmosphere of the big bunch finishing and feelling good about ourselves before heading home :D
Wow, i will try my best. Rather new to cycling, but i've ridden 50km in just under 2 hours without too much trouble. This will be a pleasant challenge.

Time and place?

winona_rider

Postby winona_rider » Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:42 pm

tatt2 wrote:Im going to push myself for the 100 down so i'll have no hope of riding back
yep...pretty much.

Pax

Postby Pax » Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:13 pm

I put a similar thread on the Road Grime site and the opioion there is that there are quite a few groups that ride back so it should be possible to hook up with one of those groups.

http://www.roadgrime.com.au/home/index. ... pic=2781.0

Hopefully we will get an actual group organised though.

Lets see if interest builds and closer to the day we can work out a meeting spot.

Anyone who has done it before able to recommend a meeting spot at the Southport end?

Pax

Postby Pax » Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:17 pm

OK not a heap of interest but obviously the probabillity that those of us who are interested will find a group to ride back with on the day.

Its going to be hard to find one another unless someone can suggest a place to meet.

I'm happy to do that if anyone has a specific plan, otherwise just going to take pot luck!

Enjoy the ride all :D