2015 Giro d'Italia

Overall winner - Can anyone beat Contador ?

Poll ended at Thu May 14, 2015 9:50 am

Fabio Aru (Astana Pro Team)
10%
Damiano Caruso (BMC)
No votes
Alberto Contador (Tinkoff Saxo)
14%
Ryder Hesjedal (Cannondale-Garmin)
5%
Leopold Konig (Team Sky)
No votes
Roman Kreuziger (Tinkoff-Saxo)
5%
Richie Porte (Team Sky)
67%
Domenico Pozzovivo (AG2R La Mondiale)
No votes
Rigoberto Uran (Etixx - Quick-Step)
No votes
Jurgen Van Den Broeck (Lotto Soudal)
No votes
Ilnur Zakarin (Team Katusha)
No votes

Total votes: 21
brentono

Re: 2015 Giro d'Italia

Postby brentono » Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:33 am

RonK, I pretty agreed with many of the points you made regarding the Giro
so there was not much to say. With regards to the TDF, agreed it will be a difficult
'double' and beyond most. But with luck, which can be one of the bigger factors in Tours
and with Alberto's experience and class, I believe it is possible. My thoughts are that
in the last few stages of the Giro, he eased and conserved himself for this very task.
I wish him well, and at least he is giving it a go (and is the only one in position to do so).
No doubt, others will boost the oppositon for TDF, but I am sure we will both enjoy what
will surely be a Grand Tour to come, when it is all layed out on the road to Paris.
Cheers
:mrgreen:
Lone Rider- I rode on the long, dark road... before I danced under the lights.

RonK

2015 Giro d'Italia

Postby RonK » Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:40 am

Well, I certainly don't write Contador off, and think he rates better than a rough chance. And we have seen little of Nibali's form either.
But from the team perpective Astana looks the strongest, and surely Sky will produce a better showing. Froome's form is also uncertain and he seems fragile. And Sky seem disunited.
But I'm not sure the Tinkoff roster has the power to match either team.
Last edited by RonK on Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Bluejay87

Postby Bluejay87 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:43 am

RonK wrote: But From the team perpective Astana looks the strongest, and surely Sky will produce a better showing..
Do we know if both Aru and Landa will racing TDF? If so that is a crazy strong team for the mountains.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:59 pm

RonK wrote:Well, I certainly don't write Contador off, and think he rates better than a rough chance. And we have seen little of Nibali's form either.
But from the team perpective Astana looks the strongest, and surely Sky will produce a better showing. Froome's form is also uncertain and he seems fragile. And Sky seem disunited.
Much as I hate to bring it up, Astana's supplement program will certainly be a match for any other team's. Added to their strong roster they will be a formidable team.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:11 pm

warthog1 wrote:
RonK wrote:Well, I certainly don't write Contador off, and think he rates better than a rough chance. And we have seen little of Nibali's form either.
Much as I hate to bring it up, Astana's supplement program will certainly be a match for any other team's. Added to their strong roster they will be a formidable team.
Sssssshhhhhh - omerta rules, remember what happened to Henderson.

Chuck

Postby Chuck » Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:16 pm

RonK wrote:
tcdev wrote:A friend of mine more well versed in cycling than myself mentioned in an email in passing that there was a "gentlemen's agreement" that the pink jersey isn't contested on the final day. After Googling around I can't find any further information on the topic; i.e. when/why this tradition exists. There was passing reference to the fact on the SBS commentary but they fell short of actually describing it as an agreement, although they did suggest that it has been lost on the final day at least once in the past.
There is no particular "agreement". It's an acknowledgement of respect by other riders/teams that the leader on the penultimate stage has earned the win, and the last stage is a virtual victory parade.
The only time I call recall this not happening was in the 1989 TDF when Lemond attacked Fignon and snatched victory by 8 seconds. But on that occasion the last stage was a time trial.
I think that "attack" is a Fignon of your imagination :mrgreen:
FPR Ragamuffin

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:38 pm

What was with all the punctures on last nights stage :?

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:47 pm

Of course no-one would attack on the final day. That would be as unsporting as taking performance enhancing drugs or attacking when a rider has a mechanical :roll:

Back in the real world, the top riders will do & have done whatever they think they can get away with in order to win.

The only reason riders didn't attack is because the organisers set a pan flat final stage that it is just a procession

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:28 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:What was with all the punctures on last nights stage :?
The Yarra Boulevard tacker was on holiday in Milan. :lol:

gabrielle260

2015 Giro d'Italia

Postby gabrielle260 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:25 pm

[quote="biker ]
The Yarra Boulevard tacker was on holiday in Milan. :lol:[/quote]

Funny! That was my thought too!

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:54 pm

That was an awesome finish, i was at work so dropped everything to watch the last few kms. It was pretty hard to watch Durbo desperately trying to get Keisse in front but when they hugged after the line it really hammered it home that he was just doing his job.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

tcdev

Postby tcdev » Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:54 pm

RonK wrote:
tcdev wrote:A friend of mine more well versed in cycling than myself mentioned in an email in passing that there was a "gentlemen's agreement" that the pink jersey isn't contested on the final day. After Googling around I can't find any further information on the topic; i.e. when/why this tradition exists. There was passing reference to the fact on the SBS commentary but they fell short of actually describing it as an agreement, although they did suggest that it has been lost on the final day at least once in the past.
There is no particular "agreement". It's an acknowledgement of respect by other riders/teams that the leader on the penultimate stage has earned the win, and the last stage is a virtual victory parade.
The only time I call recall this not happening was in the 1989 TDF when Lemond attacked Fignon and snatched victory by 8 seconds. But on that occasion the last stage was a time trial.
Wouldn't that, then, be classed as a Gentlemen's Agreement? In any case, thanks for the confirmation. Curious that this fact is hard to come by on the net...
2015 Giant XTC Advanced 29er 1 (2016 frame)
2011 Schwinn Sporterra Comp
2021 Giant Contend AR1

RonK

2015 Giro d'Italia

Postby RonK » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:09 pm

tcdev wrote:
RonK wrote:There is no particular "agreement". It's an acknowledgement of respect by other riders/teams that the leader on the penultimate stage has earned the win, and the last stage is a virtual victory parade.
Wouldn't that, then, be classed as a Gentlemen's Agreement? In any case, thanks for the confirmation. Curious that this fact is hard to come by on the net...
To reach gentlemen's agreement first you have to agree.
Not hard at all - just Google TDF last stage etiquette. .

Strydz

Postby Strydz » Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:43 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:What was with all the punctures on last nights stage :?
There was a section that had cobbles which also passed over tram tracks, that's pretty much where all the punctures happened.
1983-Batavus Professional-Reynolds 531c
1990-Flanders-Columbus SLX
2014-Giant TCR SL

Strydz

Postby Strydz » Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:46 pm

Bluejay87 wrote:
RonK wrote: But From the team perpective Astana looks the strongest, and surely Sky will produce a better showing..
Do we know if both Aru and Landa will racing TDF? If so that is a crazy strong team for the mountains.
You won't see either of them at the TDF, I read that Landa has been given Vuelta leadership and If Aru goes he will supporting Landa and stage hunting.
2014-Giant TCR SL

Strydz

Postby Strydz » Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:53 pm

Also if people don't know Contador will next race at the Route de Sud as his lead up to the TDF, also down to start are Quintana, Voekler, Pinot and Peraud.
2014-Giant TCR SL

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:58 pm

You would think he would be resting up for the tour. I guess all the drugs reduce your recovery time.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:34 pm

Strydz wrote:
Bluejay87 wrote:
You won't see either of them at the TDF, I read that Landa has been given Vuelta leadership and If Aru goes he will supporting Landa and stage hunting.
I just read that Landa and Aru climbed significantly faster at the Giro than Contador did in 2011 when he was very strong. Aru now holds the record on Sestriere. Interestingly, Contador's effort on the Mortirolo wasn't exactly a fantastic time historically.

http://www.climbing-records.com/

Strydz

Postby Strydz » Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:48 pm

biker jk wrote:

I just read that Landa and Aru climbed significantly faster at the Giro than Contador did in 2011 when he was very strong. Aru now holds the record on Sestriere. Interestingly, Contador's effort on the Mortirolo wasn't exactly a fantastic time historically.

http://www.climbing-records.com/
Not surprised they climbed faster than Contador in 2011 considering how hard that 2011 Giro was, that was the last crazy Zomegan disinged route's so by stage 20 that year most riders were just happy to make it to the end.
On Contadors Mortirolo climbing times, yeah it wasn't quick if you look at the overall times but it wasn't far off Basso, Nibali and Scarponi times in 2010 and in that stage there was a strong Liqiugas train for the first few k's of the climb, Contador pretty much did it by himself and then sat on once he caught the leaders. It was quick but not mutant
2014-Giant TCR SL

Joel Bohorquez

Postby Joel Bohorquez » Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:37 pm

Only rumor but when Aru changed his Bicycle before the finish on the way to Aprica, it was suspicious to me. I thought of illegal weight in Fabio's case but hiding a motor in a bike should be very tricky.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2015/06/ ... ike_372681" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

redsonic

Postby redsonic » Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:56 pm

Joel Bohorquez wrote:Only rumor but when Aru changed his Bicycle before the finish on the way to Aprica, it was suspicious to me. I thought of illegal weight in Fabio's case but hiding a motor in a bike should be very tricky.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2015/06/ ... ike_372681" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Apologies to the BNA member who originally posted this link, but I couldn't remember which thread I saw it in:

Hidden Motors

Joel Bohorquez

Postby Joel Bohorquez » Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:03 pm

redsonic wrote:
Joel Bohorquez wrote:Only rumor but when Aru changed his Bicycle before the finish on the way to Aprica, it was suspicious to me. I thought of illegal weight in Fabio's case but hiding a motor in a bike should be very tricky.

Apologies to the BNA member who originally posted this link, but I couldn't remember which thread I saw it in:

Hidden Motors
Thanks for the link. It was a good read.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:12 pm

Anyone interested in buying little Richie Porte's former home during the Giro?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Eura-Mobile-A ... 1823774377

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:57 pm

biker jk wrote:Anyone interested in buying little Richie Porte's former home during the Giro?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Eura-Mobile-A ... 1823774377
Yes it's an ex team Sky motorhome, but that dinky little thing was a long way short of Richie's mtorohome