Nutrition Forum?

senator52

Nutrition Forum?

Postby senator52 » Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:43 pm

I'm looking to lose some weight in conjuction with regular excercise in an attempt to return to my previous condition :oops: I was just wondering if any ppl out there had a forum they could recommend where I can get some advice on diet, excercise levels etc. Thanks alot.

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:56 pm

Simple. Change from drinking cheap plonk to the good stuff - it's got the same number of calories but you can't afford to drink as much of it :D

Richard

senator52

Postby senator52 » Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:57 am

Hmmm would be a useful tip, cept i dont drink alcohol... :wink: but i do drink a lot of soft drink, without knowing 100% im guessin that is a really bad thing to do for your weight & probably one of the easier areas to change (which i have already started to slow down considerably).

Bnej

Postby Bnej » Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:43 am

Start by switching to water only then.

Every serve of soft drink is like 1/3rd of a cup of sugar.
Fruit juices and cordials are also full of sugar.

So if you're thirsty, just drink water.

gururug

Postby gururug » Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:20 am

Ditto on the water.

Lots of salads especially after 6pm (no breads rice pasta after 6ish)

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:26 am

www.fitday.com for logging your diet. Its a bit US'ey so you need to remember the old measuring system.

Theres a lot of nutrition information on Weight Lifting Forums, such as this one that I use. Probably not exactly what you are looking for.

What do you want to change about yourself?

Burn plenty of Glycogen
Frame Size Calculator
ImageImageImage
training log
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:35 am

Four people got in ahead of you Mike :shock: I was sure you'd be first off the rank :D

Richard

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:17 am

europa wrote:Four people got in ahead of you Mike :shock: I was sure you'd be first off the rank :D

Richard
Some of us were asleep last night after being training at the velodrome and were at the gym this morning lifting heavy things.

Have to fit a laptop to the bike so I can keep abreast. Better talk to Kev ha ha.

Anyway here's my quick tip on dieting;
4000 calories per day = increase in strength
2500 calories per day = 1kg weight loss per fortnight
1500 calories per day = certain death

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:31 am

gururug wrote:
Lots of salads especially after 6pm (no breads rice pasta after 6ish)
I've seen this mentioned a number of times (no/minimal carbs for dinner) but can't help wonder how important it really is.

When you think about the number of Indian, Italian and Chinese/Asian people that eat a bucket load of rice/bread/pasta as part of their staple diet (i'm talking about the older generation not the new Westernised ones), they are not races that are typically overweight ?

Or am I biased/living in a glass bubble/plain dumb ?

I love my bread, cheese, pasta, rice, curries and deli meats (real ones), but keep their consumption in moderation (well I try to), but have found that abscence of alcohol and Hungry Jacks/Maccas is the big difference.

So, what is the big deal about carbs after 6pm ?

Cheers

Michael B

seddo

Postby seddo » Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:57 pm

There is another site called calorie king which is an Australian site - which may help

cheers
Seddo

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:59 pm

I agree Michael...what's with no/minimal carbs after 6pm?

I eat them and managed to lose 25kg last year!!

I changed my diet to be low GI. As examples, I swapped Jasmine rice with Basmati (very low GI and common in Indian food), and I eat heaps of sushi (sushi rice to low GI too). Limited fast food too - after eating healthy food, I find I don't want fast food anyway. Sushi has become my version of fast food.

I tend towards lunch being the biggest meal of the day so I have an opportunity to burn it off. That means that dinner is often toast, salad sarnies, cereal, salad, or a fruit smootie. There are carbs in all of this.

Anything in moderation is fine. I have never given up eating chocolate (else I will binge :oops: ) but swapped to dark choc and only one row a day.

Cutting out the stuff you love will just make you cranky :wink:

Moo...

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:42 pm

There are a lot of followers of the low carb diet, in particular sugar carbs. Sugar is easily consumed from products that its laced with, adding calories without filling you up. For example soft drinks.

I am a proponent of the concept of "good carbs", which really means carbs that are in products that are good for you, such as most fruit, but definitely not fruit juice, where you have lost most of the benefit of the original product.

The no carbs after 6pm concept is that the calories consumed have little purpose and therefor are converted to storage. There is a lot of disagreement about this. However one significant benefit is that you will probably eat more protein, such as chicken breast and more fresh salad, providing your body with more materials to repair itself while you are asleep.

I aim to eat around 1/3 of my calories from each of Protein, Carbohydrates and Fat, but I haven't counted in a while so I don't know how close or far away I am. Bear in mind that my exercise routine is different to most of you and as a result I need a different diet.

The simplest concept is simply that you eat slightly less calories than you consume and there are many ways to achieve this.
Last edited by mikesbytes on Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Halfanewb

Postby Halfanewb » Tue Mar 27, 2007 4:39 pm

Hi Senator52 like you i began cycling as a way to get fit and loose weight and ive been getting some good results with a low carb diet, im 46 yrs young 186cm and after 8 years of working behind a screen I weighed 137kg :shock: to give you an idea my ideal weight is 87kg so i was carrying around 50kg of blubber yech! <-fatboy

Eating carbs is good for breakfast, this will give you the energy you need for the day. A small top up with lunch (sorry white bread is out) but after lunch its no more carbs , you don't want to be filling up on a energy source that is easily transformed into fat by your body.

Moo mentioned low GI carbs, these are important for slow release energy, high GI carbs causes a insulin spike in your body that converts the carbs to energy very quickly and once your body has its 100% converts the rest into fat which is stored in the beer belly very quickly. Another downside to high GI food is that after all that your still going to feel tired as your body depletes the energy stored in it and it will be screaming for more food.

Dinner should be the food your body needs to repair itself after a day of work and exercise, so lean protein and veges and some low fat dairy.

One thing you will need to find out , your basal metabolic rate , you can google this to see one of these online to find out the number of calories your body needs to run itself daily based on your current weight.

Ok now for the fun part , without getting too complicated i work on rough averages, every Km you cycle you use 30 calories and every 3500 calories you burn more than u eat = .5 kg body fat.

Count the calories you eat and drink and be honest with yourself ! Coffee and tea with sugar are a reward drink for me, if i need a caffiene burst i drink a popular sugarless cola.

Don't starve yourself! your body will go into starvation mode and drop your metabolic rate at precisely the time your trying to kick it into a higher gear.

Exercise first thing in the morning, your body will turn up the metabolic rate for the rest of the day and you will burn those extra calories all day.

Don't expect to loose much weight at first because while you are loosing body fat you will be gaining muscle mass and thats a good thing because more muscle burns more calories.

Most important is not to think you are going on a diet, this path leads to failure, i didn't diet to loose weight, i changed my lifestyle and i'm loosing weight because of it (29kg's so far)

yooou can doooit ! :)

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:03 am