Brisbane to Gold Coast challenge - october 12

deks

Postby deks » Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:07 am

I missed out too :-(

Im going to ride to nudgee beach instead :(

muggah

Postby muggah » Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:32 pm

I got my pack a couple of days ago #4071. I'm hoping to crack the 3hr mark (with the help of a quick bunch :lol: )

Is there anything stopping someone from joining the ride w/o registering?? Looking at the photos from last years, not everyone has a number on their bike.

Hroethbert

Postby Hroethbert » Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:28 pm

Registered riders get to ride the busways, are supplied refreshments at the rest stops, get mechanical support along the way, have a sag wagon available, a bag of goodies at the end of the ride and a feeling of good kharma. I think there might even be massages on offer at the end.

There is nothing to stop a rider tagging along on the route, but you won't be able to ride the busway or get any support along the way.

PurpleZj

Postby PurpleZj » Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:40 pm

Good luck to all participating on Sunday, here's hoping for good weather and a tail wind.

ciao
Allan

Max

Postby Max » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:12 pm

After today's downpour, I'm starting to think I should buy myself a rainjacket! I hope it all clears up in time for the ride. Otherwise it's gonna be a very soggy ride!

Max

Hroethbert

Postby Hroethbert » Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:08 pm

PurpleZj wrote:… here's hoping for …a tail wind.
Thats for the return trip, Yeh? :D

Pax

Postby Pax » Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:15 am

If any of you who were looking for tickets still are, check this out

http://www.roadgrime.com.au/home/index. ... icseen#new

Good luck :D

espiritu

Postby espiritu » Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:42 pm

please don't rain tmr morning ><!!!

chris641

Postby chris641 » Sun Oct 12, 2008 2:42 pm

100km in 2:52 at 35km/h :)
Fastest Century: 100km in 2:52 at 35 km/h
2008 Merida Scultura Evo Team

winona_rider

Postby winona_rider » Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:05 pm

winona rider = fail

at 51 k mark, avg 34.6, legs feeling awsm, having the BEST TIME, in some lonely cane field, i gets a back tyre flat. I pull over, devastated, but calm. i change tube, tube refuses to inflate. This corner downed three of us almost at once. I ask the other rider if i can use his pump to see if it might work. no luck. Took that tube out. used spare. Broke valve. Put 1st one back in just in case it would work this time, broke valve. The 2nd dude who had a flat as well offered to help (a dude called gerard which =awsm) patched up his flat and gave it to me, it refused to inflate too.
Winona admitted defeat, i walked back a kilometre just to find a street sign, then called GF for rescue. Rescue took 2 hours. Had to wait there nursing the pain of two bull ant bites recieved at original site of flat - (OMGosh! agony) and some dude had the nerve to say, "that's why i put new tyres on for this ride". OMGosh! Say What?

so this arvo i rode another 20ks just cause i needed to. just to (almost) keep it real.
so guttered but. still.

LESSONS:
1. totally hate my mini-pump. might go to co2.
2. getting long-stemmed tubes only.
3. being much, much more careful in inflating.
4. i suck, so i gotta stop forgetting that

Lark2004

Postby Lark2004 » Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:17 pm

I feel for you WR.....

I remeber the first time I rode from Townsville to Brisbane.....1 km from the finish, my back axle came loose and the wheel started to rub into the frame. we were on Maundrel tce and I couldn't force it up the hills with this rubbing. But instead of quickly fixing it it so I could keep riding, the roadies with us put my bike on the roof racks and drove me in the last K. I was gutted, it would have taken a minute to fix it (I didn't have tools on me due to having roadies) and I could have finished with with everbody else..... then to top it off the roadie couldn't understand why I was so upset.... " It's a simple fix" he says as he fixed it in the car park....with my parents coming over wondering why I didn't finish with everyone else.

Somethings are just sent to try us.... this was obviously one of those things for you....

AND

Some people are morons.... hence the new tyre comment you received....
Andrew

winona_rider

Postby winona_rider » Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:10 pm

yep! i feel your pain too.
it really sucks and i felt like kicking a puppy. (just kidding)
but - in retrospect i had a great time up until that point and even that lonely cane field was an adventure... maybe

Pax

Postby Pax » Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:39 pm

winona_rider wrote:winona rider = fail

LESSONS:
1. totally hate my mini-pump. might go to co2.
2. getting long-stemmed tubes only.
3. being much, much more careful in inflating.
4. i suck, so i gotta stop forgetting that
Mate that is terrible :( ...but doesn't mean you suck! averaging over 34 at 51k was good...

Sometimes inflating problems are due to be crap tubes, you wouldn't be the first person to tear more than one valve...I know I've done it :oops: and though I vowed to be more careful in future, I'm still pretty sure it was the tubes not me 'cause I've never done it since (nore before!)

IMO don't ditch the pump...I've recently has a complete failure with CO2, but the mini got me home on a long ride.

agree re the long stems.

Better luck next year winona.

muggah

Postby muggah » Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:38 pm

chris641 wrote:100km in 2:52 at 35km/h :)
Excellent time :wink: I got the same 8)

That sucks winona, I was amazed at how many punctures there were, even after only a couple of K's there were people littered all over the side road. I did see a guy with a puncture in the cane fields but he was on his own.

Did anyone see any crashes? I was lucky enough not to. Even though it was a bit wet it wasn't too bad, at least it wasn't sweltering!!

Wazza

Postby Wazza » Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:53 pm

First non stop 100km today. 3:31 at 28.6kph. Very happy considering only on the bike 3 times in the last 3 weeks. :D
Waz
PS: Didn't see any other BNA jerseys :cry:. I must have been in the wrong spots at the wrong times.
Wazza

chris641

Postby chris641 » Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:42 pm

muggah wrote:
chris641 wrote:100km in 2:52 at 35km/h :)
Excellent time :wink: I got the same 8)

That sucks winona, I was amazed at how many punctures there were, even after only a couple of K's there were people littered all over the side road. I did see a guy with a puncture in the cane fields but he was on his own.

Did anyone see any crashes? I was lucky enough not to. Even though it was a bit wet it wasn't too bad, at least it wasn't sweltering!!
I didnt see it, but my mate crashed and took 5 other guys with him haha.. no serious injuries though.
Fastest Century: 100km in 2:52 at 35 km/h
2008 Merida Scultura Evo Team

lukas

Postby lukas » Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:40 pm

I just got back from the airport, having flown up to ride this with a work colleague from QLD. It was good fun!

We were silly enough to do the return trip. We did the southbound 100km at 29kph, and the northbound at 25kph (the last 30kms of this were veryyy slow)

So all up 200km at about 27kph.

I did 90 odd kms yesterday too. I will sleep well tonight.
Cervelo R3
Canyon Ultimate AL

vovo

Postby vovo » Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:13 pm

winona_rider wrote:winona rider = fail
I had a very similar situation, i was going fantastic till half way between rest stops next to a field with a few cows, puncture, oh well, i pump it up a little to just check that it is a puncture and the valve stem snaps (1st expletive).
so i get out my spare and slap that one in sweet inflate it well, turn it over about to jump on when i hear this loud explosion, blow out (2nd much stronger expletive), i was checking hardness of the front compared to the back and pretty sure the front was still harder, and i only pump my front up to 95-100psi.
So i sit on the road for about 40mins til i see someone i know go past, and beg for a tube, he gives me one. put it in pump it up and off i go, seems to be sweet for about 10k's, puncture on the inside of the tube (getting very frustrated now) fix the rim tape, patch puncture inflate and off i go, get to second rest stop and find a floor pump to check my pressures.
about 5k's after 2nd rest stop, another puncture, patch this puncture, reinflating my tube when stem snaps, (^%#$!&%$#(AT)*^%$&#&%$). sit down for about 2hours, people ride past happy to ask whats wrong without lending assistance.
mum happenend to be down the coast, so ask her to buy and bring me a tube, just before she arrives, the mechanic arrives, new rim tape and new tube and off i go. finally got there in the end at about 1:40pm, with my bike computer stating a cycle time of 3:28. So bad luck, but a decent time considering.

~v

Moz

Postby Moz » Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:02 am

I ended up doing it just on 3 hours. My first 100k ride. I am over the moon.
I am sorry to hear about the pucture issues. There were heaps yesterday. Every k or so, I saw someone fixing a puncture. I also got one. On that little road about 20 meters long...the finish line. Its in my garage now and I will fix it tonight.

Did anybody else get cheered on by those three VERY loud people just after you got onto bayview st on the Golc Coast? That was my family. I couldnt believe how loud they were...I was then heckled for the next few hundred meter by all those riders around me :oops:

Great day, it was great fun.

Max

Postby Max » Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:44 am

You guys are so pro compared to me. All up, that ride took me EIGHT HOURS. Eight. With a pathetic average of 17Kph. :( :( :( :oops: :oops: :oops: :( :(

I lost my riding buddies right at the start, so ended up doing the first leg on my own. That sucked. My mum stayed with me for the rest of the ride (kudos to her - she's a much better rider than I am, and I'm sure I held her back). Those hills sapped all my energy and most of my happy disposition. By the second rest stop I did not want to go on. An encouraging text message from MaxBabe boosted my willpower and we pushed on to the finish line. I was so happy to finish I almost burst into tears. :oops:

If you ask me today if I'd do the ride again, the answer would be no. If you ask me in six months, it'll be "hmmmm, yeh, I might give it a go". Come this time, next year, the agony of the ride will be a dim memory, and I'll be saying "sure, why not!", then cursing myself for the entirety of the ride :lol:

Well done to everyone who participated; especially those of you who were let down by the evil puncture fairies. :)

Max

MountGower

Postby MountGower » Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:18 am

Max

Congrats on finishing the ride. To be honest, I see no reason why you couldn't be doing rides like that with ease in six weeks from now. I'd be plotting a 60km ride, or there abouts for next weekend and so on. With the hundred under your belt, it will take no time at all before this is an easy distance for you.

Hook in.

Hroethbert

Postby Hroethbert » Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:37 am

Heya Max

+1 on what MG says. You've cracked the 100, well done. You showed more character in doing that than most of the guys averaging 30+ and definately more than some of my mates that bailed because they might get wet!!

neil13

Postby neil13 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:45 am

+2 on what MG said. Once you've done something like that once the next time is so much easier.

I managed 3hrs 30mins, legs felt very ordinary all the way this year!!

Max

Postby Max » Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:10 pm

Thanks all for your kind words :) I felt a little gipped from the lack of rain, TBH, as in anticipation of heavy rainfall, I had packed with me.. wait for it...:

My panniers, which contained:
My rain jacket
Arm warmers
Leg warmers
Neck roll
Bootees
Hi-vis vest
food
2 x water bottles, 1 x gatorade

Now that I think about it.. that's a lot of extra weight huh :oops: :lol:

Max

goneriding

Postby goneriding » Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:19 pm

2:57 (AT) 34kph for me.

Had a whale of a time. First time riding in big bunches.

I got isolated in the last 15 kms and had to ride into the head wind alone until the last 5 kms.

All I can say is "When can I do it again!"

This morning's commute was very tough 26 kms at 22.6kph. I am calling it a recovery ride!