Cycle trip from Sydney to Adelaide 2015

ianmit123

Postby ianmit123 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:26 am

I am a fit 64 year old cyclist, planning to fly from the UK to Australia and cycle solo from Sydney to Adelaide towards the end of October 2015. I chose this time in the hope that weather is reasonable and not too hot. I cycled from London to Paris last year in four days on a road bike and will be training during the summer in the UK and in Turkey (hot and lots of steep hils and mountains). I plan to ride up to 70 miles a day but more occasionally if I need to. It is not a race but intended to be an enjoyable and amazing trip. I am a keen photographer so will take any opportunities to stop for photo shoots. I will have rest days every four days or so. I expect the trip to take up to 20 days. I may stop over in Canberra for a day or two as I have a friend there. I do not want to travel on unmade roads or to get lost! I will have a Garmin sat nav. I will buy a bike (most probably a hybrid) in Sydney and sell it in Adelaide.

I would appreciate any general advice please but in particular:

- the best route from Sydney to Canberra (I am not yet ready to think about the route from Canberra to Adelaide but the Murray route attracts me)
- I will be staying in motels/guest houses and want to travel as light as possible. Is a couple of panniers on the back and a light ruck sack a realistic aim? I will use the hotel facilities to wash out smalls etc.
-advice on the type and make of cycle and information on good cycle supplier in Sydney to kit me out with everything I need.

As my plans are fleshed out I am sure I am going to ask for more help so thanks in advance for you kind help.

Ian

PS Adelaide is the destination as I worked there for 6 months a few years ago and it was one of the happiest times in my life.

RonK

Postby RonK » Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:38 pm

Ian, you'll get a better response by posting in the Touring Australia sub-forum.
Ask the moderators to move it for you.
Any particular reason for chosing an inland route?
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

WarrenH

Re: Cycle trip from Sydney to Adelaide 2015

Postby WarrenH » Sun Jun 21, 2015 3:53 pm

Ian, G'day Mate.

The best cycling route to Canberra from the Big Smoke, as in what an amazing route to tell and show the family back in Ol' Blighty, and to experience some excellent places ... how about this route?

From where you're staying in the Big Smoke, head to Cronullu via ... http://www.sydneycycleways.net/map/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
At Cronullu take the ferry to Bundeena. Bundeena is at the Northern edge of Royal National Park.
Go through the park South towards Stanwell Tops and over the Lawrence Hargraves Sea Cliff Bridge towards the beaches of the Gong.
Follow as many cycle paths as practical, South to Nowra. Depending on the state of the traffic of course, whether you use the cycle paths. Again, via ... http://www.sydneycycleways.net/map/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Just past Nowra, take Albatross Road to the Turpentine Road (also known as the Braidwood Road) over The Great Escarpment to Sassafras (Sassafras is only a locality and shows on Google Maps) then to Nerriga. Climbing to Sassafras is not a big or difficult climb compared to other options, like Macquarie Pass or Bulli Pass.There are plenty of things to see crossing The Great Escarpment, like waterfalls and spectacular cliff lines in Morton National Park.
From Nerriga, over the Oallen Ford, to Tarago. Past Oallen Ford take the Sandy Point Road, Cullula Road and Lumley Road to Tarago. It is relatively flat and free from traffic on these back roads heading to Tarago.
From Tarago to Bungendore, then over Smith's Gap on Bungendore Road. Smith's is a crossing on The Great Dividing Range, heading to the Federal Highway and then into Canberra. Smith's Gap is not a long or difficult climb. Avoid taking Macs Reef Road, which looks like a short cut to the Federal Highway. Mac's Reef Road has too many undulations and very few shoulders. Which makes it difficult for fast drivers to spot cyclists.

There are places to stay, that are well spaced along this route. Stay at the Nerriga Hotel, ... you'll not ever forget doing that. The locals there could benefit from a bit of modern culture.

This entire route is on tarmac, sadly. I'm sorry about that.

The Royal Sea Cliffs ... from the Sea Cliff Bridge.

The best web topographic road map to check-out this route (I think) is SixMaps. If you have Garmen's Australian/New Zealand Topo Maps, Garmen's Basecamp is good to plan the entire route with, from the Big Smoke to Adelaide ... excluding the commercial places to stay.

Warren.

PS, As a side note. The 15th of June was the 800 year Anniversary of the signing of the Magna Carta. Ian, here in Oz, thanks to the Great Charter, long-distance travelers, still have the right to camp on vacant and unused Crown Land. Bring your tent.
Last edited by WarrenH on Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:18 am, edited 8 times in total.
"But on steep descending...Larson TT have bad effect on the mind of a rider" - MadRider from Suji, Korea 2001.

"Paved roads ... another fine example of wasteful government spending." - a bumper sticker.

WanderingPom

Postby WanderingPom » Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:03 pm

Sounds awesome, Ian 8) I'llbe following along behind a few years later. But I'm cheating a bit, flying to Brisbane then riding home :oops:

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:11 pm

I would suggest starting in Adelaide and finishing in Sydney. In October the prevailing winds will still be the winter westerlies - SW, W, and NW.

While you're at it I could suggest the coastal route to Mt Gambier and taking in the Shipwreck Coast along the Great Ocean Road is going to give you more scenic delights than riding along the Murray.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

ianmit123

Postby ianmit123 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:10 pm

Thanks guys for the helpful advice. The Cronullu route looks amazing. Pity about the prevailing winds that time of year but I need to finish up in Adelaide to party with friends. If I start partying In Adelaide I will never get on the bike! When I was there last time I was told I can drink pretty good for a Pom!

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:42 pm

This was about where the headwinds really kicked in for us riding to Adelaide :o

You don't see the wind when you're inland...... well sometimes you do :P

Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:46 am

il padrone wrote:This was about where the headwinds really kicked in for us riding to Adelaide :o

I rode the GOR after the motorcycle GP at Phillip Island (in October) heading for Portland. The weather was not good - I was snowed on at Lavers Hill and by the time I reached this point the wind was so strong it was difficult to steer my moto. At Port Campbell I'd had enough and took the inland route back to Melbourne.

WarrenH

Postby WarrenH » Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:02 am

Ian, I've made a few changes to my post above. I corrected a town name and added a few more road names.

Warren.
"But on steep descending...Larson TT have bad effect on the mind of a rider" - MadRider from Suji, Korea 2001.

"Paved roads ... another fine example of wasteful government spending." - a bumper sticker.

TheKaptone

Postby TheKaptone » Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:05 pm

What an awesome sounding trip, can't really add anything to the route however I will gladly wave you in when you get to Adelaide and buy you a beer. I will keep up with your plans on this and see how it all goes

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:50 pm

ianmit123 wrote:I would appreciate any general advice please but in particular:

- the best route from Sydney to Canberra (I am not yet ready to think about the route from Canberra to Adelaide but the Murray route attracts me)
- I will be staying in motels/guest houses and want to travel as light as possible. Is a couple of panniers on the back and a light ruck sack a realistic aim? I will use the hotel facilities to wash out smalls etc.
-advice on the type and make of cycle and information on good cycle supplier in Sydney to kit me out with everything I need.
There is no reason why rear panniers and a backpack wouldn't work if you are prepared to travel light, stay in accommodation and buy all your meals. But if you take an inland route you'll need to plan your itinerary carefully so the distances between food, water and shelter are within your capabilities.

In Sydney, Cheeky Transport is probably the best known shop for touring and utility bikes. Which bike is going to be determined by your tastes and your budget, but you need to know up front that bicycles and gear are expensive in OZ - that is why we are Wiggle, Chain Reaction and Ribble's best customers.
There are only a few touring bikes offered in Oz, but they may be more expensive than you would want to pay for a short trip.
Vivente World Randonneur
Wayward Nullabor
Trek 520
Cheapest choices are likely to be a hybrid or MTB with a rack and panniers.

You could perhaps advertise the bike for sale here in advance and perhaps do a deal for someone to take it off your hands when you reach Adelaide.

ali_on_the_move

Postby ali_on_the_move » Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:37 pm

Hi Ian,

I was just wondering how your plans are going on this? I have decided I want to do this exact route and I am also doing it alone but was planning on getting straight into it at the beg of October when I arrive in Sydney from the UK. I have only just started look into things.

To you have your route planned out yet, I see someone has posted a great route for you here, have you decided that is the one for you?

Alison

ali_on_the_move

Postby ali_on_the_move » Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:09 am

Hi Ian,

I was just wondering how your plans are going on this? I have decided I want to do this exact route and I am also doing it alone but was planning on getting straight into it at the beg of October when I arrive in Sydney from the UK. I have only just started look into things.

To you have your route planned out yet, I see someone has posted a great route for you here, have you decided that is the one for you?

Alison