Looking for a "bent" for my son

Son of LURCH

Looking for a "bent" for my son

Postby Son of LURCH » Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:09 pm

Hello Everyone :wink:

I like Marv (forgive me, just had to get it out of the way) :lol:

OK, here's where I'm at....

My son Tristan is Autistic (as well as a severe-range intellectual disability) and used to ride a bmx-style bike with some specially made training wheels, involving springy leaf steel and they worked great.

He was 11yrs old then and noe he's 6yrs older, 3 foot taller and 80 kgs heavier :shock:

I have considered modifying a bike I have here for him but since my ASPECT Case Manager has informed me that there is a Grant we can apply for for something specific, like a bike or a computer or something that will improve an autistic individual's life, and I believe a Recumbent Trike could possibly be built for Tristan (we'd need to look at steering, I'm not sure he will understand it the way it is).

We live west of Sydney, in the Blue Mountains in fact, and have just spent the past couple of hours Googling, trying to find somewhere in Australia where we might achieve our goals.

If anyone has any advice they might offer I would appreciate it, and will check this thread within the next day :wink:
Last edited by Son of LURCH on Sat Aug 16, 2008 4:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"....I love ya Goldie..."

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:38 pm

G'day Lurchson,

Welcome to the forum.

If you ask one of our members (Recycler) very nicely, he might even build one for you (but I don't want to put any public pressure on him - he has already done more than his fair share for the disabled people in his own community).

The best option in Australia is to approach Greenspeed. They are one of the best trike makers in the world and often make special vehicles to order. Their design team is able to deal with most problems faced by riders around the world, so give them a call.

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:46 pm

G'Day SoL, welcome outside. :D

Great idea using a trike to keep your lad in the wind. Check out this link for some suppliers.

IIRC, there's a company in WA with a nice range, Kalgrm knows the owner and could prolly provide a link for you.

Last option might be some of the members here, we've got a few homebuilders with a very broad range of construction and design skills.

Hope this helps you out, let us know how you go and say G'Day to yoor lad for us.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

vonhazza

Postby vonhazza » Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:04 pm

Hi Lurchson
wecome to the forum,

Have a look at Dean Woods site he has a number of special needs trikes that might do for your son.

Steve Cruzbike FWD.

Recycler

Some idears!!

Postby Recycler » Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:48 pm

Howdy Son of Lurch, Have a look on this section at Homebuilt 5, Homemade 2, and Homebuild 3. They may give you some thing to think about. Check your Personal Message..

Son of LURCH

Postby Son of LURCH » Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:54 pm

I would like to thank all for your best wishes and ideas :wink:

I'll construct a more detailed post soon, raising some of my questions and begging your experiences and thoughts, to get us to our goal.

BRB.....

Son of LURCH

Help from Sydney-sider Bent riders needed

Postby Son of LURCH » Sat Aug 16, 2008 4:25 pm

Hi again you bent people :wink:

I've just had a nice chat with Recycler and he'd like to tackle the job of building a recumbent trike for my boy. Thanks Bob :wink:

We think our next step is to get Tristan into a seat, and see what he thinks of it.

We think a single-wheel setup at front, and the 2 at rear would be best.

Tristan is 6 foot tall.

If there is a kind soul out there in Sydney (or outlying areas) who wouldn't mind spending a little time with my son and I, as we attempt to gauge what strengths, challenges, features or restraints we might encounter in speccing a trike most ideally suited to Tristan's needs.

As you can see our major difficulty in our build is distance :shock:

Recycler lives a bit of a hike from Katoomba-town, where I live 8)

As long as you are in Sydney somewhere, I would be very happy to travel to your area, so we could get Tris into a trike and we can see how he handles steering, and so on.

We wouldn't hold you up for more than 30 minutes I would think?

Is there a BENT rider out there who might be able to help us out? :arrow:

Son of LURCH

Postby Son of LURCH » Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:02 am

OK, maybe I sound like I don't know what I'm talking about :oops: lol

Let me ask again, in an attempt to be clear in what I'm asking.....

If someone in Sydney area has a recumbent trike and wouldn't mind helping me out by allowing my son and I to come visit, to spend a little time with Tristan (my son) to see how he will interact with a recumbent trike.

His disability isn't great for his physical abilities but his intellectual ability may prevent him from successfully pedalling and steering.

Recycler is thinking a single front wheel, with dual rear wheels might be our best bet, and I pay homage to knowledge. Thanks.

I would really like to see how he might interact with something like a Terratrike Path.

If someone could help it would be so terrific :wink:

Recycler

Help

Postby Recycler » Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:32 pm

Howdy Son, Poor responce to your plea! Looks like it's you and me. Check your PM.

Leigh_caines

Postby Leigh_caines » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:17 pm

Bit of a yack with bob got us thinking....
Seems that ...maybe... the lad might go alright on un upright trike...
these some on e-bay for around the $300 mark [3 speed] or at around 6oo for a 6 speed.
This would be a lot cheaper opption then a recumbent [even home built would run away with more then 3oo]
Hope this helps

Son of LURCH

Postby Son of LURCH » Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:06 pm

Thanks guys but unfortunately an ebay search for either "trike" or "26" trike" doesn't yield me anything like you're talking about :(

vonhazza

Postby vonhazza » Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:49 pm

Son of LURCH wrote:Thanks guys but unfortunately an ebay search for either "trike" or "26" trike" doesn't yield me anything like you're talking about :(
Hi I think he means somthing like this Ebay Item number: 170251396568
Steve Cruzbike FWD.

Leigh_caines

Postby Leigh_caines » Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:03 am

Son of LURCH

Postby Son of LURCH » Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:25 pm

Well thanks for that :?

I was looking at something similar in a bigger bike shop with some Schwinn bikes. It's definitely an option.

We have looked at these types of bikes before and it seemed that the distance from the ground was scaring my son, he seemed shy and as he can't talk I can't be certain exactly why he wasn't enjoying his ride (we spent and afternoon recently in a bike group and was offered a similar cycle to use) but I am pretty well tuned into him and an usually work him out.

This was a reason why a recumbent-type cycle/trike seems attractive, and that we have a friend who rides a trike of sorts around and Tristan had a few rides a few years ago, when he didn't weigh as much lol

Now his bum wouldn't fit in the seat :roll:

I'm contacting my Case Worker to see if we can get a couple of plane tickets so we could come up to visit you guys Bob, not sure what's happening just yet will keep you updated...

Recycler

Test Trike !

Postby Recycler » Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:49 pm

Howdy Son, Have had some more thoughts, I have a recumbent trike hanging from the roof of my shed. This might suit Tristan, we will need to work out how to get together and have a test ride. I will post a photo soon. Don't give up we will get something going.

Son of LURCH

Re: Test Trike !

Postby Son of LURCH » Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:50 pm

Recycler wrote:Howdy Son, Have had some more thoughts, I have a recumbent trike hanging from the roof of my shed. This might suit Tristan, we will need to work out how to get together and have a test ride. I will post a photo soon. Don't give up we will get something going.
Thanks my friend, I haven't done that yet :wink:

First off, my son has been sick home from school the past 2 weeks and I've been run off my feet so haven't done too much more about this for that reason; and now it's latched onto me :oops:

We are both on pensions Bob, we're entitled to a return trip to Woolgoolga via train, did we discuss if the rail-line goes up that far now?

I was getting a bit carried away with myself thinking about aeroplanes.

Will check back here soon mate.

Recycler

Getting to Coffs Harbour

Postby Recycler » Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:34 pm

Howdy Son, You can catch the train to Coffs Harbour, I will pick you both up at the Station ,Woolgoolga is 25klm North. We will have several trikes for Tristan to try. One Greenspeed 16" Electric Tadpole Trike, a 26" Trike, a 20" hand powered Delta Trike and my homemade Tadpole King Pin steering trike.

Son of LURCH

Re: Getting to Coffs Harbour

Postby Son of LURCH » Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:58 am

Recycler wrote:Howdy Son, You can catch the train to Coffs Harbour, I will pick you both up at the Station ,Woolgoolga is 25klm North. We will have several trikes for Tristan to try. One Greenspeed 16" Electric Tadpole Trike, a 26" Trike, a 20" hand powered Delta Trike and my homemade Tadpole King Pin steering trike.
WOW!! :o

We have options :wink:

Bob, please give some thought to when will be a good time/date for you, we will stay a couple of days I guess, maybe go check out some of those Coffs Harbour surf waves :D

Once we work out a date I will chase tickets and book a motel. I need to talk to you on phone again, will call you this evening if possible :wink:

And thanks mate.

Son of LURCH

Postby Son of LURCH » Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:31 pm

Well guys my son and I traveled to Woolgoolga last week and had a great 4 days.

We met up with the Bent Crew at local coffee shop, for a quick chat, and spent some great time getting to know Bob and Lorraine. Tristan and I spent the bulk of our time walking the beautiful miles of sandy beaches in Woolgoolga but we did find time to test drive a few of Bob's creations.

More to come....

Son of LURCH

Postby Son of LURCH » Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:32 pm

Just give me a few more minutes and I'll be able to share the short movie we shot of Tristan riding Bob's Original recumbent trike.

Son of LURCH

Postby Son of LURCH » Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:33 pm

(from left) Me, Tristan and Tom (our ASPECTCase Manager), who traveled with us to Coffs Harbour.

Last edited by Son of LURCH on Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:43 am, edited 4 times in total.

Son of LURCH

Postby Son of LURCH » Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:40 pm

Once Tristan and I settled into Woolgoolga and had a good night's sleep under our belt we headed off to visit with Bob and then took a couple of bents down to a great "safe" area, for Tristan to try a ride on some bitumen.

Here's a couple short videos of Tristan successfully negotiating terrain, in his 4th-5th short ride on the trike Bob is working on for us....

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=tSkL50xv_jI

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJv5rdniuTA&feature=user
Last edited by Son of LURCH on Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.

vonhazza

Postby vonhazza » Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:40 pm

Son of LURCH wrote:One more try just in case it's actually 11 posts before I can post a link....
Hi Lurch do you realize you cannot post directly from your computor to the Forum, you need to post to photo bucket or similar then you can post from there to here.
Steve Cruzbike FWD.

Son of LURCH

Postby Son of LURCH » Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:42 pm

vonhazza wrote:
Son of LURCH wrote:One more try just in case it's actually 11 posts before I can post a link....
Hi Lurch do you realize you cannot post directly from your computor to the Forum, you need to post to photo bucket or similar then you can post from there to here.
thanks von but the problem was that the forum config was preventing me from posting the link, as a spam protection feature.

Looks to be sorted now :wink:

vonhazza

Postby vonhazza » Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:51 pm

Son of LURCH wrote:
vonhazza wrote:
thanks von but the problem was that the forum config was preventing me from posting the link, as a spam protection feature.

Looks to be sorted now :wink:
Hi Lurch got it now, your son looks comfortable on the trike, looks like the solution to the problem.

Good one Bob.
Steve Cruzbike FWD.