BNA Ultimate Cycling Jersey - $29

bigfriendlyvegan

Re: BNA Ultimate Cycling Jersey - $29

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:35 pm

queequeg wrote: I made the same observations about the sizing chart, which you can see above. It looks like my measurements have come out very close to yours, with the same comment that the height/weight is rubbish. I ignored that when I ordered because it just didn't seem to match any of my existing jerseys (you can see the measurements for two other brands in my initial review). Also, the chart vs reality for the measurements provided needs some work, as the Jersey was a bit bigger than stated on the chart.
Your post inspired me to pull out my other jerseys and do a measure. I think we have consensus about the issue. Shall we tackle global warming next? Health care?

jackthelad

Postby jackthelad » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:02 pm

Anyone still have a 3XL for sale?
or resale etc
SantaCruz HighTower LT
SantaCruz Blur XC Carbon
Kona Kula Supreme(Retired/Spare)
Surly Karate Monkey
Ribble Rd Bike

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:16 pm

I'm quite impressed with construction quality and think my jersey will be a great summer jersey.

I'm wearing multiple layers of windproof gear at the moment and the mornings have been low single figures with windchill added, with the first couple of morning kilometres being downhill at about 50-60km/hr :D ... so ride impressions will have to wait.

As far as fit goes, it's a winner except for the neck/collar being too loose. Mine's a CHN Large / US Medium. 2cm could be removed easily, 3.5cm would be ideal and consistent with my other kit. I'm 185cm tall and 78kg.

Will post a selfie as soon as I can

michael_w

Postby michael_w » Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:28 pm

I wore mine in anger yesterday for the first time on my 37km round trip commute.

I really like the colours and the overall look of the jersey. It feels well made and is comfortable to wear.

I'm 172cm and 84kg and purchased an XL based on the measurements - I disregarded the height/weight figures.

It was a mild winter morning yesterday and wearing the jersey beneath my lightweight jacket I was very comfortable. On the return leg I wore the jersey with some arm warmers and it was a pleasant ride home.

The jersey seems to fit me very well, in regards to fit I would have it as my second best fitting jersey (behind a Cycology jersey that is a touch longer and just feels great to wear).

For $29 it was a bargain and I reckon this will get a great deal of wear as some of my others sink to the bottom of the drawer as the warmer weather returns :)

grimbo

Postby grimbo » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:36 pm

My review

Height (cm): 165cm

Weight (kg): 70kg

Other build descriptors (eg. big shoulders, narrow arms etc): average build

Jersey Size Ordered: M

Comments on the fit (length, cut, arms, shoulders, etc):

I always buy medium jerseys although I'm on the shortish side, as my one "small" purchase was too constricting for me. In the mediums I have bought, some are too loose for my liking (Gore, Altura), some "just right" which for me is close fitting but not tight (Endura), and some a close fit (Assos, Bellweather).

The Monton jersey fits in the last category for me. It's a pretty close fit, though not uncomfortable. It doesn't grab under the arms. It feels a bit different to my other jerseys when worn, as it feels quite tight across the waist, a bit short in the front but a bit too long and loose in the back bottom section (below the pockets). Having said that, it's quite a pleasant jersey to wear, the fabric is very soft and stretchy and feels good against the skin. I like the colour and designs.

Pros
Nice fabric
Looks good
Predict it will be an excellent summer jersey with it's mesh panels under the arms

Cons
Fit feels different to all my other jerseys, but this feeling of oddness may pass with more wears
Zip is a bit fiddly and doesn't feel top quality - wouldn't be surprised if this busted early

Would I buy a Monton again?
I would wait to see how well this one wears and lasts. If it hangs in there, yes I'd by another at the RRP, particulary if they had some different designs.
"If I can bicycle, I bicycle" ~David Attenborough

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:17 pm

CXCommuter wrote:Tried it on last night:

Height (cm): 175cm

Weight (kg): 67kg

Other build descriptors (eg. big shoulders, narrow arms etc): cyclists upper body- non existant

Jersey Size Ordered: L

I went against my instincts and went for a large according to the sizing chart was between a Medium/Large, the jersey is very slightly larger than my usual, and I do prefer a close cut.
Fit appears okay- but is a bit large around the chest, the waist is not too loose and the arms are a bit loose, is a good length in the body and an okay fit at the waist.

I am another who would like to try a medium but would be happy with the large. Hence I would like to put my name up for a medium.

Quality appears good- feels comfy, zipper feels similar to my Castellis etc.
First ride today (with thermals underneath), surprisingly the fit worked when on the bike- comfortable and felt good but warmer weather will be the real test. I may have to retract my comment re the zipper- it does feel a bit heavy to use and not as smooth as my Castellis/Cuore) but still okay. The pockets are acceptable in size and deep enough to prevent flying objects. A few comments re the look (all positive).

jackthelad

Postby jackthelad » Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:16 pm

FTW
whos got a triple xxxl for sale, swap
i dont know if i should continue with the test in the size i've tried on
who wants to see if i downsize before it splits?
SantaCruz HighTower LT
SantaCruz Blur XC Carbon
Surly Karate Monkey
Ribble Rd Bike

DodgeeLodge

Postby DodgeeLodge » Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:41 pm

Yep - similar thread ... thought I would be okay having ordered and got a great fit for Brissie to Bay ... picked size XXXL ... sorry ... not Aussie XXXL for sure. It is an incentive to reduce from a "Fat Bastard" but I was hoping to wear it immediately ... Nice design/colour ... but this XXXL is tighter on my arms that a blood pressure cuff at top of the pressure... and I am putting pressure or a load test on the zip locking technology ... so if any usual "L"or "XL" wants a jersey that will fit them, let me know .. else you may see me with it on a hanger at Pushies Galore (Brisbane) trying to sell it............
I have bought other jerseys from OS and these are similar sizing ... doh... Will I ever learn?

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:56 pm

Dude, look one post up. Jackthelad needs a 3XL.

Rockford

Postby Rockford » Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:29 pm

After a few rides wearing the jersey here is my review….

The Monton shirt is 100% Polyester with a nice Hex Mesh pattern. Motifs are printed well and clear and I liked the quote on the inside of the collar. It comes in a decent plastic bag with hangtags.

The sizing is about right, relaxed race fit, I ordered a China XXL (US XL) it is a touch larger than the 108cm stated, very similar to a Castelli XXL. Having big upper arms I always have trouble with sleeve creep, the Montons were a good fit in this respect with just the right amount of creep without bunching up and constricting my arms.

The pockets had good accessibility - being the right height and placement that didn’t leave you scrabbling around looking for the top of them. I use my pockets as my saddle bag (tubes, tools, levers, gel) so they can fill up quite quickly and had no issues there and the elastic kept it all in without distorting the rest of the jersey. There is also a small reflective strip on the back of it for added safety.

Silicone hems help with back creep when in the drops and it features a full length zipper which I found a bit ‘sticky’ at times as the teeth are fairly fine, and the tab part a bit too small to easily grasp especially with gloves on in winter, maybe a longer rubberised tag would be better.

The side body mesh has a dark transparent material over the hex mesh which helps with your modesty, although most people wear bib knicks so any flab and muffin tops will most likely be hidden, the finish at the waist hem is a bit untidy, they may need to pay more attention to this when using mesh. The underarm seams are offset to limit chaffing.

Due to it being winter I had base layers on, with my 90min rides in the morning I had no trouble with the cold at around 10C and the jersey passed the ‘don’t think about it’ test. i.e if nothing is annoying me about it I don’t think about it and just wear it.

I liked the small touch where you can put your Emergency Details on the washing instructions tag, maybe if that became a bit more prevalent we wouldn’t have to worry about bracelets etc. Overall a nice bit of kit, missing some of the finer details of the more expensive brands although for training rides I wouldn’t give it a second thought when reaching for the ‘next in line’ jersey in the wardrobe and would don it happily.

Travelled 80km at 10-12C
Supporting upper body gear: Assos Mille S7 knicks, Assos S7 Arm Warmers, dhb seamless base layer.

spamtesting

Postby spamtesting » Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:14 am

Time to give mine a run. 9 degrees out, base layer is a definate requirement....

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Gunlock

Postby Gunlock » Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:12 am

Will give mine a good test today over the Melburn Roobaix. Measurements and a full review will follow.

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:16 pm

spamtesting wrote:Time to give mine a run. 9 degrees out, base layer is a definate requirement....

Good job tapatalk.....posted from wrong account this morning. :oops:

master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:03 pm

Here's me in the 3XL jersey:

Here's me a week later in a 2XL jersey, and after a beard trim:

You can see that the chest still has a bit of room in it, but the length and the waist are great. To remind people, this is 190cm and 86kg. I'll do measurements shortly.

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:30 pm

My review:

[Photo was broken]

Height (cm): 177ishcm

Weight (kg): 76kg (slightly higher than normal)

Other build descriptors (eg. big shoulders, narrow arms etc): currently packing a few beers around the midriff above normal.

Jersey Size Ordered: M

Comments on the fit (length, cut, arms, shoulders, etc): sleeves are a touch shorter than my other, but not annoyingly so. Only reason I noticed was because I was wearing skins sleeves and ended up with a small gap on the underside between those and the jersey.Snug fit, most of my jerseys are medium & range from race cut to event jerseys. The fit on this jersey is definitely at the race cut end of the spectrum.

Pros
Didnt notice I was wearing it
Well designed
Grippy around the base
Mesh panels in summer (expected)

Cons
Zip feels a touch on the budget side.
Mesh panels in winter

Ride Experience:
Took it out for a half century this morning. Temp was single digits so had a skins vest under it and a lightweight gilet over it. Best recommendation I can give is that I didnt notice I was wearing it. Anecdotally seems to be a touch longer than most of my others. Not sure if the mesh sides are standard or optional but possibly limits the window that it can be worn alone, at least in Victoria anyway.

Probably dependent on their knicks. Only because I like matching kit. Would definitely consider it, pretty impressed with this one. Happy to admit my expectations werent overly high, but Monton have certainly exceeded them by a surprising margin.
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.

tcdev

Postby tcdev » Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:04 am

Let me start by saying that after a year of cycling, this is the first cycling jersey I've ever owned and yesterday was the first chance I've had to wear it.

First impression
Plenty of images to form your own opinion on aesthetics but I think the simple design is quite catching and as I'm fast approaching 50 I don't want to look like I'm trying to dress like Team Sky's new TdF recruit or a 20 year old MTB'er. It's a nice blue too! The one complaint I do have is similar to a few others regarding the zipper; it does feel like it's not going to go the distance, and is a bit fiddly to engage. Would be a shame if such a nice jersey were rendered useless before its time because of a poor zipper. Fingers crossed...

Fit
I'm 177cm, 105kg and ordered the 3XL. According to the charts I was at the smaller end of the 3XL and considered dropping a size in anticipation of losing weight and I also generally prefer a looser fit but now I'm glad I opted for the larger size. I've also never worn a 3XL in my life which made me a bit nervous about ordering one. Certainly a snug fit all round (I do lift weights) and I've plenty to lose on the gut. Speaking of which, the colour scheme with the black lower half is flattering on the beer gut! Regardless, it still felt comfortable and certainly not restrictive in any way and all the lengths seems right. In fact I found the elasticised waist was more comfortable - and practical - than the regular shirt I've been wearing.

The Ride
It was a fresh late-June mid-morning in Sydney but as I generally don't feel the cold - especially during exercise - I was quite comfortable in the jersey alone and 5 minutes into the ride I never gave it another thought. I started out wearing cotton T-shirts when I took up cycling but being one that starts sweating when the temperature is getting to the point where ice just starts to melt, I soon discovered that synthetic shirts designed to wick away moisture were a much more sensible option. I've been wearing soccer jerseys and similar but with the open neck and arms I suspect they are less effective in the colder weather. Nice to note that the mesh sides weren't a problem at all for me in the cooler weather either.

I wear a Camelbak when riding so am yet to find a use for the pockets, though I suspect they may come in handy when I attempt my metric century as my particular Camelbak is little more than a hydration pack and as such has very limited storage.

In summary, as long as the zipper holds out I'll be very happy with this jersey, particularly given the price!
2015 Giant XTC Advanced 29er 1 (2016 frame)
2011 Schwinn Sporterra Comp
2021 Giant Contend AR1

landyacht

Postby landyacht » Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:51 pm

Ive tested mine for 2 races now I ordered a china M. first ride( race ) was a 40km scratch that started in 8 degrees and raining. I had a second short sleeve underneath so when i started it felt tight, 40kms and 4" heavy rain later it was no looser or tighter but felt like it was holding a bit of warmth underneath. wrung just on 300ml of water out of it :D . 2 weeks later when i put it on again I didnt wear an underlayer as it was a balmy 10degrees and clear weather ahead. Im feeling happy now with the tighter fit,as there are no wrinkles or flapping sleeves.55kms and a mountain top finish and i felt comfy still
on a lighter note my flattened stomach has caught my wifes eye. she didnt notice my laboured breath or wobbly legs, so it must be working :D
with the breathable side panels i reckon this will be a great jersey for summer morning rides and sweaty coastal rides

utedeej

Postby utedeej » Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:29 pm

Height (cm): 182 cm or 6ft
Weight (kg): 90kg
Other build descriptors (eg. big shoulders, narrow arms etc): longish arms and torso.

Jersey Size Ordered: 3XL

Comments on the fit (length, cut, arms, shoulders, etc): Seems to fit quite well, a little on the baggy side under the arms when standing, but feels comfy when leaning forward on the bike. Will be comfy for longer summer rides I think, especially with the mesh side panels. Zipper is nice full length and works well. Stitching seems good quality also. I quite like the one larger pocket in the middle at the back also.

Could probably have gone with a 2XL for a bit tighter fit.

Pros: Appears well made Grip feels good around the waist, but need to get it out on the bike. One thing I hate is when a jersey is too short and I don't think I'll have that problem with this one.

Cons: Sizing for all jerseys seems so hit and miss, so always difficult in knowing what size to pick. Nil others so far.

Ride Experience: No rides with it as yet, as it has been too bleeding freezing down here in Canberra.

Would I buy a Monton again? Most of my buys are price dependent and I'm usually a black nicks kind of guy, so I'd give them a crack if the price was right for sure. Quality is encouraging to try their other products.

Gunlock

Postby Gunlock » Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:11 pm

Vital stats:
Height: 182cm
Weight: 82kg
Physical abnormalities: Wide shoulders and short arms
Jersey size: XL

Ramblings:
So I originally ordered a 3XL based on the (very wrong) height and weight indicators on the Monton sizing chart but as soon as I got it out of the bag I knew it was going to be miles too large. Luckily I was able to swap with another user for an XL which is a pretty good fit. I could go a size smaller and get a racier fit but happy with the XL for everyday riding.

I’ve worn the jersey for the Melburn Roobaix, an 1:45 ride and an hour wind trainer and found it suitable for all circumstances. Obviously since it’s mesh sided I wouldn’t make it my first choice for a winter morning ride, but I was happy enough during the Roobaix and that was a relatively chilly day.

During the wind trainer session I found the elastic didn’t play nicely with my DBH knicks which meant it kept sliding up my back but the extra length meant I wasn’t showing the world my midriff (as back in fashion as that may be). Didn’t notice this my other knicks though, so willing to let it slide.

Pocket size is good - was easily able to store phone + cards/cash in one pocket, lightweight vest in another and spare tube, co2 etc in the third.

Has been through 2 washes, both with a full load of normal + sports gear, and you wouldn’t know it from a new one. Didn’t notice any irregularities in the expected washing + drying process.

Summary:
For $29 this jersey is a bargain. For $59 I’d still be a happy buyer. Much better quality than my other entry level jerseys (a DHB jersey and a Ventou) for around the same price (although the Ventou one is a much heavier weight jersey by design). Ignore the height and weight when ordering and actually measure a well fitting jersey. Slightly longer in length than my other jerseys, but not so much to make the fit weird when on the bike.

Pictures:

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:27 pm

I have previously commented about the fit. Though after racing in the jersey twice, I would prefer it if the neck was 1cm narrower and the arms 1cm longer, it is that good a fit for me, I am talking 1cm here and there

As I was racing in 12 to 15C, I was riding with my favourite short sleeve base layer, merino front and breathable back. Very difficult to talk about thermal properties and wicking at that temperature with that base layer, everything just worked.

Which is the best thing as far as I could say in the race, the jersey just did it's job and I did not notice it.

One problem I have with jerseys is I am constantly reaching into my back pocket for my asthma inhaler and I have restricted movement in my shoulder, so some jersey are a PITA to get the inhaler in and out, my club Santani jersey is the worst because the pocket is too high. The BNA Ultimate jersey the pocket is the perfect height, so much easier to get my inhaler in and out, and I had a lot of practice with a fire just off the course.

It has survived the wash twice with flying colours.

In comparison to my high end jerseys Assos, Santani and a pair of aero jerseys from Castelli and Pearl Izumi that retail for twice what the Monton would does. The Monton does suffer, particularly the zip which does feel cheap. In comparison to other jersey in the same price range the Monton is probably the best (still a bit iffy about the zip).

The big question would I buy one for $60. The truthful answer is not right now I have enough jerseys. However, if I decked it in a race and damaged the jersey. I would buy another, because it looks good, matches the blue shower cap (it was green this week, as I was racing down a grade after being off the bike for most of last month sick) and it does the job well. And it there is a yellow version with a better zip, as soon as I get promoted to B grade, I want.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:00 pm

Getting back on track - are there any wanteds or available sizes from members. The swaps seem to have gone well.

The following list has been updated. We had a kind 'donation' from one person who was just reviewing but has their own brand of cycling attire and has returned this to the pool.

Available - $59
Size M
Size M
Size M
Size M
Size L
Size L

Also, we have BNA Vests in Medium. These are vests made by Cuore, i.e. premium kit and also the sizing is straight forward. Please get in touch if an awesome BNA vest would help keep you riding in style through winter.
Cycling is in my BNA

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:35 pm

An update on this, for BNA Ultimate Jerseys, the Premium Cycling Vests and the BNA Cycling Caps an order page has now been setup.

The vests are really good and due to a little leprechaun, we have extra BNA cycling vests so do check to see if your size is there. BNA Kit Limited
Cycling is in my BNA

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:59 pm

My review

Height (cm): 172cm

Weight (kg): 95kg

Other build descriptors (eg. big shoulders, narrow arms etc): Like a square frame measurement, Medium in everything, but big boned. 74cm BB centre to seat.

Jersey Size Ordered: 3XL

I usually buy larger jerseys as the waist section usually needs more stretch, changing from a T-shirt XL to an L seasonally, should be an M in everything.

I'm used to a variety of fit thanks to the stretch and my seasonally changing size so am not picky if there's a flap at the shoulder at speed.
The Monton jersey I wanted a looser fit for cooler trail summer use so went on the larger side, and it's the first jersey I've got to have the large mesh sides, so will get more use.
Pockets and grips are all good, my my favourite is the full length zip, great for layering as it's not warm enough for winter, but can unzip all the way leave it flapping while on the bike if not wanting to stop right away.

I usually buy the cheapest jerseys going from Cell, T7, Wiggle etc. and this one is the most feature packed and nicest looking at the same time.

Pros
+1 Looks good
+1 Predict it will be an excellent summer jersey with it's mesh panels under the arms (and my chosen looser fit).

Cons
I like it so was miffed when I snagged it on a thorny bush exploring some single trail :(

I did a cauterising repair so it doesn't get worse in the wash, and hope to never see or speak of it again =D

Yes (edit, I just bought a Large of this one for road fit (minus snag/burn above!), along with the other cap and vest Chris linked above), imagining if custom design for large groups is what they also offer, I've seen a third higher custom jersey price than the RRP for this one, bias on the custom rather than features.
Given the other environmental wear and tear, if a nice custom jersey lasted a year of regular/rough use I'd be happy, generally all my budget clothing hasn't had any unreasonable early failure so don't think this would either.

Thanks to Chris and good luck with the bike ride it's in aid of.

jackthelad

Postby jackthelad » Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:19 pm

Rode my 3XL, around the camelfarm Kalamunda
was happy it didnt ride up under the camelbak,
stayed put, with enough movement in arms and shoulders too
SantaCruz HighTower LT
SantaCruz Blur XC Carbon
Surly Karate Monkey
Ribble Rd Bike

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:18 pm

Update on availability:

6 x Size M premium BNA vests (sizing is accurate) $128 + pp
Money goes to charity

4 x Size M Ultimate BNA Jersey - $59 + pp (each)
1 x Size XL Ultimate BNA Jersey - $59 + pp

Now Available:
1 x Size M premium BNA Bib Knicks - $80 + pp
BNA Tineli - previous version bibknicks without yellow stripes)
New Condition - not used for cycling - tried on with undergarment but 1 size too small for me.

Also Available
Fly 6 Standard ($29) and Aero ($35) replacement / additional mounts
Details here

BNA caps have just sold out. Just my own cap and the Jens Voigt signed BNA cap which are not for sale.
Cycling is in my BNA