Pedals, damned pedals.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Mar 27, 2007 4:03 pm

mikesbytes wrote:
531db wrote:Now LOOK here, if it's a road bike LOOK pedals are the answer. The downside is the difficulty walking with this type of cleats and shoes, but we are cyclists not hikers right?

Actually , I have a set of those handy LOOK cleat covers made by Exustar, which saves the on the cleat wear.
+1 I use cheap LOOK pedals. And you can get the cleats off FleaBay for a song. Why bother using spd pedals on a road bike?
Having been caught with a flat that couldn't be fixed, and having to walk about 4km in socks, I want to get shoes that I can walk in.

Can any other shoes offer what SPD types can with MTB type tread ?

Note, I am not mega serious racer (just yet) enough to warrant spending heaps on shoes that I need to take off & on in the shed and walk into the house (floorboards) with bare feet.

Shimano do some good raod type shoes with MTB tread that suit my budget, so they have to do for now. If I get into racing, then I'll go from there

MJF

Postby MJF » Tue Mar 27, 2007 4:47 pm

Yes - the Crank Bros 'Eggbeater' (and other) cleats are low-profile and fit the MTB shoes. I think this is the way I will go if the Shimano pedals become too troublesome - although the CB cleats are made from brass, so I'm not sure how durable these will be over time for walking (my SPD cleats 'crunch' when walking on rough concrete).

sogood

Postby sogood » Tue Mar 27, 2007 4:51 pm

MJF wrote:Yes - the Crank Bros 'Eggbeater' (and other) cleats are low-profile and fit the MTB shoes. I think this is the way I will go if the Shimano pedals become too troublesome - although the CB cleats are made from brass, so I'm not sure how durable these will be over time for walking (my SPD cleats 'crunch' when walking on rough concrete).
My understand is that those CB cleats do wear down over time, but it's also been suggested that's a feature as a softer cleats won't wear down the pedal, and cleats are easily replaced.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:06 pm

sogood wrote:
MJF wrote:Yes - the Crank Bros 'Eggbeater' (and other) cleats are low-profile and fit the MTB shoes. I think this is the way I will go if the Shimano pedals become too troublesome - although the CB cleats are made from brass, so I'm not sure how durable these will be over time for walking (my SPD cleats 'crunch' when walking on rough concrete).
My understand is that those CB cleats do wear down over time, but it's also been suggested that's a feature as a softer cleats won't wear down the pedal, and cleats are easily replaced.
But how much are the Crank Brother cleats ?

The SPD's can be had from Torpedo7 for $9.99/pair (Wellgo brand). Do Crank brothers mount similar to SPD ?

The crazy thing is SPD cleats typically cost 1/2 the p[rice of the M520 pedals !!!!

The odd contact of the cleats is only an issue when you you "have" to walk any distance. It is not something I am planning on doing, but having done it once, it's enough !!

Cheers

Michael B

MJF

Postby MJF » Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:30 pm

MichaelB wrote: The crazy thing is SPD cleats typically cost 1/2 the price of the M520 pedals !!!!
Actually, my pedal & cleat set was $70, which makes the pedals only worth ~$40 (cleats are $29 on Cell). And you can buy the full set (AT) Cell for $59 with cleats... And why do the double-sided M520's cost so much less than the single-sided M324's??!?

Bnej

Postby Bnej » Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:56 pm

MJF wrote:And why do the double-sided M520's cost so much less than the single-sided M324's??!?
M324s have less plastic, and a differently produced clip. The M520 has some sort of cast shell, the M324 has a couple of pieces that are produced separately.

I think M324s would last better on average, from the look of them.

MJF

Postby MJF » Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:23 am

There is no plastic (other than an internal spacer) in either pedal. The M520's have a cast shell, but a screw-in cartridge bearing system and two sets of clips. The M324 has a simple cast body, one clip, and a chromed metal pedal strip around the outside. From a production/assembly point of view, the M324 is easily the cheaper of the two.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:38 am

MJF wrote: Actually, my pedal & cleat set was $70, which makes the pedals only worth ~$40 (cleats are $29 on Cell). And you can buy the full set (AT) Cell for $59 with cleats... And why do the double-sided M520's cost so much less than the single-sided M324's??!?
Depends on how many of each they manufacture - has a huge impact on costs.

sogood

Postby sogood » Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:00 am

MichaelB wrote:Depends on how many of each they manufacture - has a huge impact on costs.
Depends on the market positioning of the product - has a huge impact on pricing.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:17 am

sogood wrote:
MichaelB wrote:Depends on how many of each they manufacture - has a huge impact on costs.
Depends on the market positioning of the product - has a huge impact on pricing.
Quite true. You often need a "loss leader" or a low margin product to get people to get your gear in the first place, and then people tend to progress within the product range (e.g. "I already have the shoes, so need another pair of pedals for my road bike" etc).

For me, it was initially price as a first set of clipless pedals, and now the next thing will be having shoes I can walk in if need be.

Shimano has another customer ...

Bnej

Postby Bnej » Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:00 am

MJF wrote:There is no plastic (other than an internal spacer) in either pedal. The M520's have a cast shell, but a screw-in cartridge bearing system and two sets of clips. The M324 has a simple cast body, one clip, and a chromed metal pedal strip around the outside. From a production/assembly point of view, the M324 is easily the cheaper of the two.
ok.... maybe I should have had more of a poke, thought I saw some plastic on my M520s

Oh well only solution is to buy both and pretend the prices are reversed. :)

MJF

Postby MJF » Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:11 pm

Picked up the 520's from the LBS today. Couple of major differences pointed out - the M520's have a high-tensile steel shaft vs. M324's chrome moly, and the M324 has a more robust bearing system. So, the M324 is considered to be higher quality and stronger from the LBS point of view.

In my case, however, the M324's went loose after less than a month vs. three months for the M520's. Go figure...

sogood

Postby sogood » Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:31 pm

IIRC M540 also has CrMo and went down the drain in my experience. No more investments in Shimano for me...