new wheels

purplegolden

new wheels

Postby purplegolden » Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:28 am

Hi

I need to replace the wheels on my giant ocr. Does anyone know if there is a general size for road bikes? Tyres are the standard 700 x 23.

Any suggestions about where to buy? I had been looking at a site in the UK recommended by a friend.

Thanks!

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:39 am

Replace the wheels? Why? Will simply getting them respoked do the job? Or have you comprehensively stuffed 'em.

And what do you want to do with the bike? Most threads I've seen about replacing wheels have been about upgrading to better wheels for either performance or bling factor.

Tell us what you want from them (other than keeping the centrebracket off the ground, we assume that one) and hopefully someone here will have some advice.

Richard

purplegolden

Postby purplegolden » Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:50 am

Richard

the rims are buggered. I will eventually be getting a new bike, when I can afford it, so she will then be retired to the wind trainer, and out for the occasional jaunt.

Halfanewb

Postby Halfanewb » Sun Mar 25, 2007 2:41 pm

Velocity make a good comprehensive range of rims, i got a pair of dyads for the cruiser when i was busting the cheap spokes on the old rims. They are made in QLD so most bike shops should be able to order them for you in a range of colors with a overnight delivery and they can spoke them within a range (20, 24, 28, 32, 36) to suit your needs. Check out the range at Velocity

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Sun Mar 25, 2007 3:01 pm

Velocity certainly get plenty of recommendations. I've never bought wheels so I'm only passing on what I've heard. Keeping an eye out second hand might work too.

Have a chat with your lbs. If the rims are stuffed but not the hubs, new rims might be a cost effective option, especially as this bike isn't going to be used long term.

Richard

MountGower

Postby MountGower » Sun Mar 25, 2007 3:48 pm

I have Velocity
Last edited by MountGower on Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LuckyPierre

Postby LuckyPierre » Sun Mar 25, 2007 3:59 pm

These A-Class wheels from Torpedo7 would be hard to beat price wise - although your local shop might have something.
The Velocity wheels would be better, but you need to weigh up how much you want to spend.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sun Mar 25, 2007 6:00 pm

It depends what kind of riding you do.

The Velocity Deep V rims are one of the strongest on the market and are reasonably priced. They should be on your short list.

I'm going to get custom built wheels next time, from TWE

Burn plenty of Glycogen
training log
ImageImageImage
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sun Mar 25, 2007 6:13 pm

LuckyPierre wrote:These A-Class wheels from Torpedo7 would be hard to beat price wise - although your local shop might have something.
The Velocity wheels would be better, but you need to weigh up how much you want to spend.
Those wheels are a pretty good price. I'd prefer sealed bearings, but others prefer cup bearings as provided by these wheels.

Burn plenty of Glycogen
training log
ImageImageImage

purplegolden

Postby purplegolden » Mon Mar 26, 2007 3:43 pm

Thanks guys for the info. Will do a recon of my LBS to see how much they are.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Mar 26, 2007 3:53 pm

mikesbytes wrote:
LuckyPierre wrote:These A-Class wheels from Torpedo7 would be hard to beat price wise - although your local shop might have something.
Those wheels are a pretty good price. I'd prefer sealed bearings, but others prefer cup bearings as provided by these wheels.

Burn plenty of Glycogen
training log
ImageImageImage
Note those rims are MTB specific to suit disc brakes, not rim brakes. Other than that they are a good price.

Time for a dumb question - are there any road bikes with disc brakes ?

LuckyPierre

Postby LuckyPierre » Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:26 pm

MichaelB wrote: ... those rims are MTB specific to suit disc brakes, not rim brakes. Other than that they are a good price.
The wheels that I pointed to are described as "A-CLASS ALX-220 - 700c Road Wheelset' by Torpedo7 - do you finish up at some other product?
MichaelB wrote:Time for a dumb question - are there any road bikes with disc brakes ?
One of the guys at our last criterium was riding a bike with disk brakes, but I didn't really pay any attention to it (too busy chasing some-one else) other than noticing the brakes. If I see it again, I will check it out some more. You could put drop bars on a Scott Sub10 or Azzurri Roma and make yourself a road-oriented bike with discs. :wink:

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:49 pm

LuckyPierre wrote:
MichaelB wrote: ... those rims are MTB specific to suit disc brakes, not rim brakes. Other than that they are a good price.
The wheels that I pointed to are described as "A-CLASS ALX-220 - 700c Road Wheelset' by Torpedo7 - do you finish up at some other product?
Must have looked a bit differently, but followed your link and ended up in a different spot. Damn Microsoft. Doh !!!

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:51 pm

They have an advert for a MTB to the right and T7 don't show the category for an item, so I can see how easily it is to get confused.

I checked by going thru the menus and confirm they are in the road bike section.
Road bike Wheelsets

Even on this page, it doesn't mention road bikes. T7 could do with a visit from the style police.

Burn plenty of Glycogen
Frame Size Calculator
ImageImageImage
training log

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:19 pm

The Giant CRX1 flatbar runs Avid Juicy hydros, no good with dropbars tho'.
Avid do make cable discs specifically for road frames but I don't know what frames are available or if they work with brifters and I bet they're all out of my price range anyway. :roll:

Hotdog

Postby Hotdog » Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:42 am

It's the Giant CRX Zero that has disc brakes, not the CRX 1. I saw one in the LBS at the weekend, a nice looking flat bar road bike with good specs. Pricey as a result though.

There are a few drop bar road bikes using the Avid BB7 Road mechanical disc brakes with brifters, e.g. Schwinn DBX and Kona Sutra.

In dry conditions on a normal road surface it's avoiding an endo which limits your maximum braking force, not the type of brakes you have, but if you anticipate cycling in the wet (e.g. commuting, cyclocross, touring somewhere which isn't a desert) disc brakes would make sense on a road bike.

Mr888

Postby Mr888 » Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:37 pm

Just wanted to add...

If you're getting the complete wheel (rear), make sure you get the one that can cater for your gears (freewheel or freehub) and that it allows for 8/9/or 10 speed etc. I don't know which model of OCR you have, but it should be at least an 8 speed Sora.

I've seen a few Shimano R540 and R560 in eBay for around $150 a pair

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:17 pm

Thanks Hotdog, my bad :oops:
Gotta admit that Kona looked hot.

Shaun

Hotdog

Postby Hotdog » Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:27 am

Mulger bill wrote:Gotta admit that Kona looked hot.
It does, doesn't it? A bit heavy, apparently, but looks like a good 'all rounder'. The Schwinn is pretty similar.

My next bike will probably have disc brakes as I do a lot of cycle commuting and I find having almost waterproof brakes rather reassuring on the occasions it's wet (I have roller hub brakes at present which work OK and need very little maintenance but have a funny feel to them). There's a chance that at the end of my current contract I'll end up moving back to the UK where I'd be rained on all the time so would be even more grateful for having amphibious brakes :?

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:05 am

Here is an ad Ebay ad for some s/hand wheels that finish in less a day.

Shimano 540R wheels on Ebay

Currently at $132 + $35 postage

Puickup in manly, and is offering 7 day money back if not staisfied !!!!

Bid away

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:11 pm

Hotdog wrote:My next bike will probably have disc brakes as I do a lot of cycle commuting and I find having almost waterproof brakes rather reassuring on the occasions it's wet (I have roller hub brakes at present which work OK and need very little maintenance but have a funny feel to them). There's a chance that at the end of my current contract I'll end up moving back to the UK where I'd be rained on all the time so would be even more grateful for having amphibious brakes :?
I hear ya! I like to stop all the time, not just slow down in the wet.
Hydros cost more to buy than cables but make up for that in reduced maintenance 8)

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:12 am

MichaelB wrote:Here is an ad Ebay ad for some s/hand wheels that finish in less a day.

Shimano 540R wheels on Ebay

Currently at $132 + $35 postage

Puickup in manly, and is offering 7 day money back if not staisfied !!!!

Bid away
Went for $177.50 in the end.

Bargain ?