GT RTS-2

mithba

GT RTS-2

Postby mithba » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:59 pm

Hey guys, I have seen that some of you here are GT lovers so was after some advice.

Today I picked up a GT RTS-2 for a $100, It is running Shimano Deore LX allround, except for the Rear Mech (cheap shimano) and the rear brake (cheap V-brake).

As you can see the paint work is pretty bad.

Cantilever front brake

Tektro V-Brake at rear

Deore LX Front Mech

Unknown Rear Mech (worth getting a deore lx rear mech?)

Shimano Hyperdrive-C (needs replacing)

Deore LX Thumbshifters (anyone know anything about the brake levers?)

So anyway, was wondering if anyone knows much about the bike? No idea how old it is. If it is worth keeping and fixing up or selling for parts.

Any info would be awesome.

Cheers

Mitch

mithba

Re: GT RTS-2

Postby mithba » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:59 pm

Also, fork looks unoriginal, anyone know what should have come with it? or how I can find out?

Cheers

brettels

Postby brettels » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:32 pm

Looks like a 1994 model.

Brake levers are first generation STX Levers.

Cant tell from the photos but look like the Mag 10 it came with....
GT obsession......

brettels

Postby brettels » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:03 pm

I stand corrected......Quadra 10 (painted black) are the forks...
GT obsession......

mithba

Postby mithba » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:56 pm

I am actually pretty surprised the suspension is in pretty good shape. Cosmetically horrible, but mechanically pretty good.

mithba

Postby mithba » Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:58 pm

So it's been a while with this bike sitting around doing a whole lot of nothing. I had 2 weeks off and finally got around to doing something with the bike.

I orignally thought I would strip it all back and polish it up but the amount of nooks and crannies made it near on impossible to get to everything.

After I stripped most of it back

and then polished some of it.

there was also alot of deep scratches and dings that made it look average when stripped bare.
I eventually decided to take it to a powdercoater and got it powder coated and this is the finished product!

I have purchased some parts and I'm waiting on their arrival. Eventually the bike is going to be a mixture of Deore LX/XT.

I was thinking about buying sum gumwall tyres for the orignal sort of look. I'm also chasing some decals and possibly a period spec stem/handlebars/saddle

- Mitch

BaldPatch

Postby BaldPatch » Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:45 pm

I previously owned an RTS-3 around 1994 model.
There was a manufacturing defect and my front triangle was replaced under warranty, apparently suspension mount holes were drilled off centre which resulted early wear of shims in suspension mounts.
Whilst my original front triangle was in the shop getting examined for warranty my bottom bracket disappeared and i had to purchase another at a "so called discount rate" in order to get bike operational.
I got out of riding regularly and stupidly the bike ended up being stored inverted which resulted in the elastomers in the forks drying out and collapsing.
I searched high and low for a set of forks which took a V brake, but alas disk brakes were the craze by then and i came up empty handed.
I disposed of the bike at the tip and happened to visit a bike shop in a out of the way suburb one day and there was a set of Judy forks with V brake mounts :(
Im in my 40"s now and ride a Merida Full suspension, to be honest i don't miss my GT, the technology is too far gone for me.

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:03 am

That is looking very smart. Might be worth getting the suspension looked at to see if you can get the best out of it though.
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

mithba

Postby mithba » Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:37 pm

Unfortunately it hasn't got much past this point due to work and travel. Will be nice when I finally get time to have a proper go at it. My uncle is a sign writer so he has said he can do all the decals for me.

chokito39

Postby chokito39 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:04 pm

Hi Mithba,

Just curious where you picked this bike up from or who you bought it from? I had my GT RTS stolen in 2002, there where only a handful in Australia and only 1 in Brisbane. I've been tracking it down for years.Any chance you can look at the serial number on the lower bracket for me?

I don't want to bother you with this, however the bike is of great value to me and am working with people to relocate it.

Thanks.