Insurance

tuco

Insurance

Postby tuco » Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:27 pm

Has anyone found cheap insurance for their bike(s)?

The best I've found so far is an extra to our home and contents, $103 / year to cover both road bikes and all accessories for loss or damage any time, anywhere, even if on the bike rack on the car, third party insurance and personal injury. The standard home policy covers the bikes if stolen from home but once they leave the front gates it's all at our own risk.

There was a state bike organisation which offered insurance if you're a member but a family membership was $120 / year.

Cyclecover offer insurance but I'm not changing home insurance companies as we get a discount having our cars with the same company.

We want to do some rides to the tracks we walk up and down but don't want to come back and find we have a 7 kilometre walk home because the bikes have vanished.
I'd hate to have someone back over my bike at a race meeting either. Bikes without stands, long grass and cars don't go together.

Bnej

Postby Bnej » Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:48 pm

I feel I should point out, that insurance will not stop the 7km walk back home if someone nicks your bike. It'll just pay for new ones.

Big heavy locks will prevent the walk.

tuco

Postby tuco » Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:07 pm

Bnej wrote:I feel I should point out, that insurance will not stop the 7km walk back home if someone nicks your bike. It'll just pay for new ones.

Big heavy locks will prevent the walk.
True, but buying another bike isn't a problem.
This insurance covers accidental damage to the bikes while riding and third party damage. There was a heap more it covered but it was months ago when I rang them and I forget the details.
I've worked hard for near financial independence and I wouldn't want it taken away because I paralysed someone because I didn't see them walking across a crossing and hit them at 30+ km/h.

Big heavy locks will deter theft, they won't stop it.

Bnej

Postby Bnej » Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:18 pm

3rd party is pretty important yeah. But I have none at all at the moment.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:09 pm

What about insurance where the owner of the Merc that t-boned you claims for damages on this grill.

Burn plenty of Glycogen
Frame Size Calculator
ImageImageImage
training log
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

gururug

Postby gururug » Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:24 pm

Not sure about your state but bicyclensw membership includes third party (perhaps other) insurance as well if your in NSW.

See if there is a queensland equivalent.

tuco

Postby tuco » Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:42 pm

gururug wrote:Not sure about your state but bicyclensw membership includes third party (perhaps other) insurance as well if your in NSW.

See if there is a queensland equivalent.
BicycleNSW was the until now unnamed state organisation in the OP. $120 for a family is more than the $103 insurance through AAMI.
QLD cycling organisation directs you to Cyclecover which requires home and content insurance as well.