Buying a new bike or one 2nd-hand

Questions about purchasing bicycles and parts

Buying a new bike or one 2nd-hand

Postby parktho » Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:14 pm

Hey,

Having recently won a scholarship for my studies at University, I thought it would be most appropriate if I went and spent it on a nice new bike. I currently ride a Monza that must be a decade old.

I've looked and looked around and arrived at the following choice:

1) Cell Team - $1200 - Full 105 componentry, carbon fork, R50 wheels. A hard to beat price, but coming from Sydney, and so no local service. I've found bike shops not to be very interested in helping you unless you purchase your new bike from them. Also heard that frames can be crap - but maybe worth it for componentry alone.

2) Specialized Allez Elite - $1750 including $300 accessorries for free - good deal, but not full 105 componentry, R500 wheels.

3) Specialized Allez ??? - 02 model 2nd hand - $1000 - 5000k's - mainly 105 componentry bar FSA front cog, Colombus frame (awesome frame - derivative still used on $4000+ alloy bikes! Can feel the difference compared to above mentioned), relatively new computer clock, relatively new R550 shimano wheels (better than others).

After tossing these options up, I'm probably going to settle for the 2nd hand Specialized. Although it may be better to go for a new bike (other is 5 years old), the frame makes such a difference to the feel of the bike - much lighter as well. I can also add tri bars which I want for under the cost of the cheapest new bike (the Cell).

Just wanted to know what people think of this decision. Is the 2nd-hand specialized I'm talking about that great?

Cheers, Thomas.
parktho

by BNA » Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:15 pm

BNA

Postby parktho » Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:15 pm

2nd hand Allez has 9 speed 105 not the new 10 speed 105.
parktho

Return to Buying a bike / parts