2015 Tour de France

peterlip

Re: 2015 Tour de France

Postby peterlip » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:59 pm

The toughness of these guys never ceases to amaze me. Michael Matthews is in the break, with broken (or cracked) ribs.
"He's had two weeks to recover from his injuries, so may go for the stage today". Really???
I cracked a rib 4 weeks before the East Link ride a couple of years ago. 75km, but I managed to do it, but it wasn't easy, and I really struggled for deep breaths when the pace was up.
I can't imagine having ridden over 2500km in 15 days and consider going for a stage with cracked ribs.
And as I type that, MM is dropping back to the peloton.

rpmspinman

Postby rpmspinman » Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:10 pm

newie wrote:Last night’s stage epitomised all the things that I find wonderful about watching cycling. Up front you have a bearded grown man in tears because after all the years of sacrifice and hard work he has finally achieved a childhood dream. Meanwhile, down the back you have another young man in tears from the devastation of realising that all his sacrifice and hard work is coming to naught. And in the middle you have the complex interplay between tactics, skills, luck and talent leaving you wondering how it will all unfold and afterwards contemplating how things might have gone if the tactics or lady luck had been different.
Well said. If it was just about Froome maintaining the yellow jersey these past 2 weeks alone I would have switched the tv off back then, but the mortality of the riders and how they are fairing is just amazing to watch.
Cheers
Shav

My Bikes:
2011 Kona Dew Plus (commuter)
2012 Focus Cayo 2.0 (road)
2015 Cervelo S5 VWD

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:33 pm

Did anyone see Fuglsang go down last night? When I saw it, I said to the missus that he looks like he hit a motobike. Here's the proof. Goose driver almost hits one rider then goes on to collect Fuglsang.

News is the driver has been ejected: http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/motorbi ... sang-crash" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You can't even escape motorised vehicles in a segregated race!

Grgic

Postby Grgic » Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:06 pm

Thought something like that might have happened.
http://www.strava.com/athletes/3420668? ... ce=top-nav" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Chris249

Postby Chris249 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:46 pm

Yep - an otherwise inexplicable crash on a clear road almost simultaneous with an overtaking move by a moto. Thanks for the vision, BFV, but I can feel some very slender splinter of sympathy for the moto rider when I see how Birdsong veered across the road at such an angle.

Great stage, great riding by Bardet and, among others, by Froome. And it was over roads I'll be riding over in a few weeks. Whoot!

I'm just hearing on SBS that Tomolaris has just received an award for covering 20 tours. I have a friend who is in a senior position at SBS who says that if it was not for Tomo himself, we would not have live coverage. She says he went in their and pushed the concept personally because of his own passion for cycling.

Many thanks Tomo!
Kestrel Talon road 2007
Como Vivente road 2009
Principia track track 2014
Cervelo P2K TT 2003
Merida CX4 2010
Concaeio road

BenGr

Postby BenGr » Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:09 pm

Chris249 wrote:Yep - an otherwise inexplicable crash on a clear road almost simultaneous with an overtaking move by a moto. Thanks for the vision, BFV, but I can feel some very slender splinter of sympathy for the moto rider when I see how Birdsong veered across the road at such an angle.
Isn't that why they're on their horn when coming up? Regardless of the crash, it was the first move that was completely inexcusable.

peterlip

Postby peterlip » Sat Jul 25, 2015 1:55 am

That was another brilliant stage. Sleep deprivation is worth it.

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Sat Jul 25, 2015 2:06 am

so where's the bleating for Nibali to release his power data???

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Sat Jul 25, 2015 5:33 am

CKinnard wrote:so where's the bleating for Nibali to release his power data???
It's only been a couple hours dude. :idea:

Besides that, Nibali is definitely on the gear gIven his links to Astana and generally otherworldly performance in world tours over the past couple years.

gabrielle260

Postby gabrielle260 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:34 am

Xplora wrote:

Besides that, Nibali is definitely on the gear gIven his links to Astana and generally otherworldly performance in world tours over the past couple years.
Great post Xplora!
Last night's stage confirmed why I don't like Nibali. Whilst I think the unwritten rule about not taking advantage of falls/mechanicals is a little outdated, I am appalled that Nibali thinks he can get away with "Oh, I didn't see Froome stopped on the side of the road". Come off it- he took two looks and then took off, all clearly captured by the camera!!

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:49 am

and that's why i still want quintana to win
despite what they were saying on the footage, froome did crack

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:54 am

Xplora wrote:It's only been a couple hours dude. :idea:
They were accusing Froome before he finished the first stage in the Pyrennes.
It's really quite gutless for the Team Sky naysayers to remain mute on the performance of Astana and Katusha teams.
This highlights that the TS attacks primarily by the French are driven by :
- old school ignorance and anger towards the success of a more scientific approach to training and tactics.
- sore losers x30.....France haven't won TdF since 1985.
- being too gutless to attack Eastern European teams. I have my well informed reasons why the UCI and Western European media treat Eastern European teams with kid gloves, but most couldn't stomach it.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:13 am

That's all well and good but there's a doping thread for that discussion. This is a racing thread.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

RonK

2015 Tour de France

Postby RonK » Sat Jul 25, 2015 2:07 pm

gabrielle260 wrote:
Xplora wrote:

Great post Xplora!
Last night's stage confirmed why I don't like Nibali. Whilst I think the unwritten rule about not taking advantage of falls/mechanicals is a little outdated, I am appalled that Nibali thinks he can get away with "Oh, I didn't see Froome stopped on the side of the road". Come off it- he took two looks and then took off, all clearly captured by the camera!!
Isn't that the same thing that Astana did in the Giro?
And when Contador crashed in front of Porte on the previous stage, didn't we see Porte immediately get on the radio, presumably to pass the news to Sky/Froome?
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

timbo

Postby timbo » Sat Jul 25, 2015 2:22 pm

While there is a leading climbers jersey, there should also be a leading descenders jersey as well.
Watching the riders descending down the mountains right on the limit was breathtaking.

Strydz

Postby Strydz » Sat Jul 25, 2015 2:56 pm

CKinnard wrote:
Xplora wrote:It's only been a couple hours dude. :idea:
They were accusing Froome before he finished the first stage in the Pyrennes.
It's really quite gutless for the Team Sky naysayers to remain mute on the performance of Astana and Katusha teams.
This highlights that the TS attacks primarily by the French are driven by :
- old school ignorance and anger towards the success of a more scientific approach to training and tactics.
- sore losers x30.....France haven't won TdF since 1985.
- being too gutless to attack Eastern European teams. I have my well informed reasons why the UCI and Western European media treat Eastern European teams with kid gloves, but most couldn't stomach it.
I would hardly say that the media were handling Astana with kid gloves, I don't think there would be many around who would not have serious doubts about Astana. Also remember who climbed the final climb faster last night which was Quintana.
1983-Batavus Professional-Reynolds 531c
1990-Flanders-Columbus SLX
2014-Giant TCR SL

Strydz

Postby Strydz » Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:03 pm

gabrielle260 wrote:
Xplora wrote:

Great post Xplora!
Yeah but that's been changing in cycling for a while now, Contador attacking Schleck when he dropped his chain, Astana and Saxo both did it to eachother in the Giro, Evans and BMC did it in the Giro when his GC rivals were caught in and behind a crash. Also Nibali isn't a threat to Froome in the GC so it's not like he's attacking to win the whole race, yes it's not nice but it's the way cycling is
1983-Batavus Professional-Reynolds 531c
1990-Flanders-Columbus SLX
2014-Giant TCR SL

BenGr

Postby BenGr » Sat Jul 25, 2015 5:58 pm

RonK wrote:And when Contador crashed in front of Porte on the previous stage, didn't we see Porte immediately get on the radio, presumably to pass the news to Sky/Froome?
Isn't the rule more about situations beyond your control, not just flubbing a corner?

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:04 pm

Strydz wrote: I would hardly say that the media were handling Astana with kid gloves, I don't think there would be many around who would not have serious doubts about Astana. Also remember who climbed the final climb faster last night which was Quintana.
I suggest you revisit last year's tour.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:27 pm

BenGr wrote:
RonK wrote:And when Contador crashed in front of Porte on the previous stage, didn't we see Porte immediately get on the radio, presumably to pass the news to Sky/Froome?
Isn't the rule more about situations beyond your control, not just flubbing a corner?
Maybe Froome should have avoided that stone which was lodged in his brakes? Froome is a cry baby.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/tour-de ... al-problem

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:30 pm

I can understand the chafe getting away for a breakaway to take a stage, every dog has his day, but cycling's quaint practices of chivalry are one of the things that makes the sport wonderful. Let the legs decide, not the bike.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:37 pm

timbo wrote:While there is a leading climbers jersey, there should also be a leading descenders jersey as well.
Watching the riders descending down the mountains right on the limit was breathtaking.
+Lots.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Chuck

Postby Chuck » Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:49 pm

biker jk wrote: Froome is a cry baby.
A bit harsh mate.
FPR Ragamuffin

Grgic

Postby Grgic » Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:54 pm

Another idiot attacking Froome last night, this time with a golden golly.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/tour-de ... -on-froome" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.strava.com/athletes/3420668? ... ce=top-nav" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

RonK

Postby RonK » Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:57 pm

BenGr wrote:
Dunno about that. I recall that LA famously actually waited for Jan Ullrich when he flubbed a corner, ran off the road and crashed.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...