I'm an Idiot ... but a happy idiot

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

I'm an Idiot ... but a happy idiot

Postby europa » Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:18 pm

Yup, I've managed to do it again.

This is a story complete with highs, good deeds ... and the other side of life.

This afternoon, I bought Michael's old mtb :D

Cute isn't she. Love that blue and purple paint. As you can see, she's an old steel Diamondback. No suspension to go wrong, nor any suspension to ease the bumps :? but that's cool - I'm after a dirt road, dirt trail explorer rather than a serious mountain beater, and I couldn't afford to buy something with good suspension that's still in good nick. Altus gearing which seems in good nick (except for a sticky changer).

Spotted the problem yet? (hint, look at the picture)

Back to the bike. She rides very nicely, very nicely indeed, far better than the Sow's Ear. Sure, she's been well used, but I've always worked on the principal that bikes become well used for a reason ... they're good to ride.

I'm happy.
A wee bit in love really.
Just what I wanted (as discussed before).

Spotted the problem yet?

Well, here it comes.

I didn't give her much of a test ride at Michael's, just a run around the backyard a few times. It didn't take much to see that things worked nicely (apart from that shifter but hey, he pointed that out). Bearings are smooth and free. Gearing works nicely. Steering felt good and smooth. Nah, she's well used and well maintained. And she's done a couple of impressive trips recently :D

Now, I don't know mountain bikes. Don't have a clue really. But Michael's about my size (looked a bit shorter if anything) and he likes her, and she felt good under me, so I bought her. Good price too - he's probably still laughing, but that's cool, I paid what she was worth to me.

Got her home. Part of the reason for buying her was so the lad could ride her to school. So he swings a leg over her ... and she's far too big. Top bar right up into the squeaky area.
Hmmm.
Then he says it's taller than the Europa.

Hang on :shock:

I sling my leg over her and, for the first time, stand flat footed over her. Sure enough, the top bar touches my groin :shock:

Bugger, I've just bought a bike that's too big for me. :?

So how did I make this mistake?
Well, as I said, I know nothing about mtbs and how their fit works. I'd made a point of eyeballing Michael - he's my size right? Bit shorter maybe? But my size? He's been riding this bike? He's happy? Didn't need to think further did I? Of course I flamin' did.
Then there's the seat - it looks nice and high above the top tube, well to my eye. Of course, I was forgetting that mtbs have a higher centre bracket to what I'm used to, hence the seat will be higher above the top tube won't it. (this is what I referring to with 'spot the problem?' - the seat is high but if the bike fitted, it'd be even higher above the top tube).

Grrrr.

So I've got this bike that feels really nice to ride but which is technically too big, possibly painfully too big. The top tube touches the groin on a hard surface, not major but not the 2" or more that'd be nice.

Arrrrggghhh.

I'd like to make it clear here that this is no reflection on Michael - he rides and enjoys this bike and our relative sizes would suggest it would work for me too. Besides, it's my responsibility and my mistake, definitely my mistake - how on earth did I overlook the first thing you look at?

Anyways, she's a nice bike to ride. I think we're going to have a fine times together, just have to find some firetrails to explore now :D

Richard

(Mulger Bill and Christopher - feel free to burst my bubble if appropriate)

europa

Postby europa » Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:23 pm

Oh, could someone recommend a bottom end computer suitable for mtb work? Rough roads. Rain. Probably dumped in the mud at some point. I can't afford another CS200, and probably not even the fittings so I can use my current one - actually, I'd prefer not to. Just basic distance, time and speed - I can do heart rates if I want the same way I do on the Europa, by dropping my CS200 in my back pocket.

Richard

pugsly

Postby pugsly » Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:04 pm

if you let the air out of the tyres you would get the clearance you need :)

Not helpful I know, but... :lol:

matagi

Postby matagi » Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:27 am

If you put on some mountain bike shoes and then straddle the top tube, I reckon the sole thickness will be enough to give you the clearance you need.

Otherwise, be VERY careful when stopping. :D

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:14 am

Funny thing that, I never had an issue, but then again never really measured it or checked it :o

It was something I checked on the roadie. Then again, searching the memory banks, amybe it was a bit close, but then it gives impetus to keep riding rather than stop !!!!

On a serious note, if it is too much of an issue, happy to take it back and give you your $20 back 8)

BTW, I still owe you the computer off it, so when I get the new one, I'll get an address and post it to you

Cheers

Michael B

europa

Postby europa » Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:20 am

Mate, if you didn't have an issue, I don't think I'm **squeak** going to :shock: Be different if I was planning some serious bush bashing. Sure, I'd like to try that but me being of a more mature bent (and dimensions), lets be honest - fire trails are about as mad as I'm likely to get, and fairly nice ones at that.

She rides so nicely, I'd rather keep her. You've done a good job looking after her. Look after the Le Mond like that and you'll be laughing.

Richard

ps anyone want to buy the Sow's Ear? She's a much maligned and modified hybrid for those that don't know her - there used to be a thread about her but some admin who shall remain embarressed managed to misplace some threads and the Sow's Ear thread was one of them :wink:

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:59 am

Tuck a few ice cubes down the shorts prior to the ride and you'll be OK :D

Ooroo

tuco

Postby tuco » Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:15 am

MichaelB wrote:Tuck a few ice cubes down the shorts prior to the ride and you'll be OK :D

Ooroo
Or foam padding on the top tube.

Bnej

Postby Bnej » Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:28 am

You know, that paint looks a bit pink to me.

tuco

Postby tuco » Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:53 am

Bnej wrote:You know, that paint looks a bit pink to me.
He he he :lol:

europa

Postby europa » Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:56 am

Nah mate, it's poofy purple. Actually, it's rather nice, reminiscent of those cars you see that change colour from blue to purple as they ride past, only in this case, the paint doesn't change colour.

Just did me 12 km test loop on her. She still rides very nicely though harder work than the Black Beast (and not as hard as the Europa) - more effort involved. I'm guessing that's the extra weight because she's smooth enough. The riding position is very good (though a bit too much weight on the hands at this point) - I don't know that I'd want a smaller bike, especially considering all the nonsense the Sow's Ear put me through. Soaks up the road surface nicely - there are some rather rough bits so I got a good comparison. I'm happy with her. :D

Richard

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:01 am

europa wrote:
Nah mate, it's poofy purple. Actually, it's rather nice, reminiscent of those cars you see that change colour from blue to purple as they ride past, only in this case, the paint doesn't change colour.

Just did me 12 km test loop on her. She still rides very nicely though harder work than the Black Beast (and not as hard as the Europa) - more effort involved. I'm guessing that's the extra weight because she's smooth enough. The riding position is very good (though a bit too much weight on the hands at this point) - I don't know that I'd want a smaller bike, especially considering all the nonsense the Sow's Ear put me through. Soaks up the road surface nicely - there are some rather rough bits so I got a good comparison. I'm happy with her. :D

Richard
Ins't the new term "metro-sexual" purple.....

Glad that your happy with her. I found it pretty smooth too, especuially compared to the new LeMond.....I wonder if I can fit some 28mm wide tyres .....

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:25 am

I think mauve is the word we're all seeking here :P :twisted:

Welcome to my world Richard Image
Another one assimilated, onto the next. :lol:

Mate, you're gonna hava a ball, start with fireroads and progress :wink:

She did look a bit on the large size, but you should be right as long as you don't go too technical, the extra clearance really comes into play when you're out of the saddle in the tight and twisties, steering more with your knees than hands.

Have fun mate, let me know if I can help with anything, I'll have a look in the bits box.

Shaun

matagi

Postby matagi » Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:00 pm

I haven't seen a name for this bike, so given the colour scheme - I think it should be called "The Disco Dazzler". :wink: :P

europa

Postby europa » Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:07 pm

Awww, I was thinking of 'that ruddy horrible mountain flamin' bike' ... but Dazz will do :D

Richard

stryker84

Postby stryker84 » Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:13 pm

I was going with "The Mauve Machine"...

heavymetal
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: I'm an Idiot ... but a happy idiot

Postby heavymetal » Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:03 pm

europa wrote:This afternoon, I bought Michael's old mtb
So the question remains: Is your lounge room full of bikes yet? :D

europa

Re: I'm an Idiot ... but a happy idiot

Postby europa » Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:08 pm

bicyclewa wrote:
europa wrote:This afternoon, I bought Michael's old mtb
So the question remains: Is your lounge room full of bikes yet? :D
No, the Sow's Ear languishes in the shed (and is in grave danger of being sold) and the lad's moved his bikes into his bedroom. My daughter's tag-along lives by my bed.

However, MY bikes are still in the dining room :D

Richard

davo231481

Postby davo231481 » Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:38 pm

thanks a lot europa.i didnt realise i had a problem until i tried to straddle the bike.Well its not a problem so long as i dont slip off the pedals.hahahahah guess i wont be laughing then either. :shock:

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:16 pm

"My name is Mike and I'm a cycleholic"

Burn plenty of Glycogen
Frame Size Calculator
ImageImageImage
training log
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

heavymetal
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby heavymetal » Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:07 am

My name is Kev and I am a Psycholist :lol: